No announcement yet.

Need some help with finishing a warmoth body

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help with finishing a warmoth body

Hey guys, for Christmas my dad let me order a guitar body from warmoth. I just got it two days ago and I am eager to begin trying to finish it. I am planning to paint it a solid color using the instructions from reranch.com. What I would like from you guys, if you can spare some of your time and knowledge, is an equipment list. Like, what kind of paint sprayer should I buy, what kind of sealer, lacquer etc. Suggestions of particular brands is really what I'm looking for. And I was also wondering if I should use a high gloss paint or just regular. This will be my first attemp at such a task and your help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I don't really want to spend more than $200 on equipment, but I do want it to be quality. I already have a compressor. Thanks.
    Jackson Soloist, Alvarez strat copy, Marshall DSL50, Avatar 2x12, GT-6
    Alvarez 5 string bass, Crate BX100

kirk, reranch also sells stuff in cans where you don't need to use a gun/compressor. supposed to be really good with no splattering. did you get warmoth to do the sand sealing? if not, you would surely want to get some from reranch. i have done several warmoths, but since i am not handy at painting, i have just paid extra to have them do it. good luck with the project and please be sure to post some pics of your project.

casper

Comment

Second the reranch spray can thing. Very easy to use and control- laquer is pretty forgiving, once you get the hang of it (smooth, even coats, applied wet but without runs). Their Sand-and-Sealer
      is very easy to use as well- spray it on, let it dry, sand it.

There is one caution, however- don't get too excited about the notion of putting a high-gloss finish on it and then the next day building the guitar and playing it. My experience with their clear lacquer is that, while it dries to the touch very quickly and you can do the final sanding, buffing, and polishing 3 days after you apply the final coat, you'll then want to put it away for a while. Like, 6 weeks, 2 months. I learned this the hard way- the lacquer is extremely susceptible to scratches. It takes a while to harden up to the point that normal handling WON'T result in long, ugly scratches in the surface.

Solid colors might not be as big a problem; but, if you want your solid color to look good and have a high gloss, you'll want to put several coats of clear on top..

Good luck, and have fun!
      ... there's more guitar content and less annonymous cowards grinding their axes ...

Comment

Reranch doesn't offer the color I want in their spray cans. I want an off-white color. Carvin has a finish called Classic White, that is what I want.

And I will definitely post pictures of my project. I just took some pics of the "naked" body. BTW, it is a soloist body made from mahogany. It is going to have a fender style hardtail bridge, 24 frets and a Jackson style neck. I am still not sure what pickups I want (routed for two humbuckers)

I found this at Stewmac. What do you think of it? http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=SERVE&sku=5043&ITEM=catalog/sku.html

Comment

they do offer colors, no?

While very white the color has a slight blue component in the mix. It can be clear coated to give an aged yellow appearance although it is believed that Fender did not clear coat the color because of this very reason. A white primer coat will serve well to prevent any natural color in the wood from bleeding through. It is a great color for use with gold components such as seen on the SG Les Paul Custom.

make sure that you check their products page!

Comment

I know they offer colors. They don't offer the color that I want. Therefore, I am not going to use their spray cans for the color coat. So I either need to buy a spray gun, which was my original intention, or find some other way like the Preval spray unit from Stewmac.

Comment

mixing laquor can be tricky, as the color you see is not always the color it dries. I think you would get great pleasure from the stewmac shop guide series book "guitar finishing step by step". It includes "reciepies" for a bunch of timeless vintage finishes, including a lot of the fender blondes, including an aged blond, which I would guess is roughly the color your looking for.

I have used the preval units, if your serious about finishing, meaning you'll be doing it more than once, its really worth it to get a badger and learn to use it, but the prevals do a supurb job if you'll only be finishing one guitar. Get what you think you need, plus 2, plus extra jars.
              -----
              Striving for Mediocrity daily.

Comment

OK, am I wrong in thinking that I can paint on a color coat of the color I want and then spray on clear lacquer, and not even need to worry about mixing different colors of laquer? I don't want a vintage finish. All I want is a shiny, solid color. I was jsut going to go to Home Depot, look at the paint swatches, and get some paint mixed to the color that I want. Then after I did the color coat, I was going to spray on clear lacquer. Is there something wrong with the way I want to do this?

Comment

Bump.

Would I get answers I could trust if I posted this in the guitar forum?

Comment

Try MIMF.COM they have a very extensive library of information on finishing, preparation, etc. The people on the forum seem to be very knowledgeable and experienced in finishing matters and I'm sure you will find the info you are seeking.

Comment

Its generally not a good idea to mix different finish materials. I would imagine at home depot you'd be getting something in acryilic, which doesn't mix well with laquor, but you could use an acrylic clearcoat.
                      -----
                      Striving for Mediocrity daily.

Comment

So where could I buy paint that I could use with lacquer, and what is called?

Comment

I dare someone to answer the above question. One dollar goes to the person who does.

Comment

Try lacquer. If you can't figure thar one out how the hell do you think you can thin and spray the stuff to look half way decent. Your getting in way over your head, buy the stuff in the aerosal cans and do yourself a big favor. Spray painting lacquer properly is an art, not something you just ask a few questions about and then do it. Also the equipment is much more involved then just a cheap gun and a compressor. look into auto body painting it is the exact same thing only on a bigger object.

Comment

Hmmm...I don't really think it will be as hard as you are making it out to be. I think anyone who can follow step-by-step instructions can do a decent job. Well, here is your reward, just print it out and use it anywhere!

Comment

Working...
                              X