Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Recording problem. Help?

I switched PC's since the last time I recorded clips. After trying the internal sound card I decided to install my old SB Live, the internal was so noisy that it's just not giving me a decent sound.

After screwing around with the settings I finally have input and output coming from the speakers, but none of my recording utilities are working. I have Sound Forge (the free version that comes with the SB) and of course the MS Wave recorder.

I get no input from either utility, all settings look correct and I can hear the input coming out of the PC's speakers.

Any ideas?

Help please.
    Bob I

I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that!

Hmmm........bob, did you check your volume 'play control' options.

Double click on the speaker icon at the bottom right of the screen. Go to options -> properties -> recording and enable microphone and line - in

If that doesn't work, I think you're doing something wrong in Soundforge's input section. I'm not sure how that works though because I've never used soundforge.

Comment

Ok, I just re-read your post. I think that your recording program is still looking for input from your built in soundcard. You may have to go through the options menu and change the input source so that its accepting sound from your SBLIVE card.

Comment

Originally posted by rosskoss
        Hmmm........bob, did you check your volume 'play control' options.

Double click on the speaker icon at the bottom right of the screen. Go to options -> properties -> recording and enable microphone and line - in

If that doesn't work, I think you're doing something wrong in Soundforge's input section. I'm not sure how that works though because I've never used soundforge.

Yes, that was incorrect, but once I fixed it I can hear the sound through the speakers. I also tried the windows wav recorder and same thing. It' like the input is going to the speakers and not the recording section. Strange?
        Bob I

I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that!

Comment

Originally posted by bob-ingram

Yes, that was incorrect, but once I fixed it I can hear the sound through the speakers. I also tried the windows wav recorder and same thing. It' like the input is going to the speakers and not the recording section. Strange?

Ok, in the Windows Wav Sound recorder, go to Edit -> Audio Properties and see what soundcard you have under the 'Sound Recording' option.

The default device should be your SB Live card and not the built in one.

Comment

Hi Bob, You may have to go into your bios and disable your onboard sound. I think that is the problem. the 2 are conflicting and sending a mixed message.
            I had to do this acouple years ago when I install new sound and video cards

Hope that helps

Peace, bob
            Classic Rock/Blues are not dead they just smell funny.
            Guitars:
            Epiphone re-iusse 63 Firdbird7
            '98 MIA Roadhouse Strat
            G&L Custom shop Legacy
            G&L Tribute Asat Classic
            Ibanez asf75t
            Epi. AlleyKat
            DeArmond JetStar
            electroCoustic BY Dave254
            Self built FrankenStrat
            Walden G630 CE
            MIJ Fender Tele
            AMPS
            1974 Twin in a headcab built by Shovelhead with a matching 2x12 cab
            1996 Crate VC50310
            1958 Fender Bassman Head

Marshall 1965A 4x10 cab
            EFFECTS
            Digitech RP7
            Digitech RP10
            Digitech Genesis3
            Vox ToneLab SE
            Dunlop Crybaby
            RECORDING
            Cool Edit Pro2000
            Shure mics and enough cable to hang myself! lol
            Behringer EuroRack MX802A not grat but does the deed
            Member of the Geezer Brigade .... #258
            Click here to visit the robmizzi.com

Comment

Originally posted by Six Stringer

Hi Bob, You may have to go into your bios and disable your onboard sound. I think that is the problem. the 2 are conflicting and sending a mixed message.
              I had to do this acouple years ago when I install new sound and video cards

Hope that helps

Peace, bob

That was going to be my third suggestion

Comment

Bob
                You might be able to disable it(the old card) in the hardware manager. There may also be an enable/ disable jumper on the mother board, but a lot of the newer boards have disposed of most of the jumpers & dip**************** switches.
                Your mind is a terrible place to store important information.

Pix & Music at
                http://www.riochamastudios.com

Comment

Damn, I thought you guys were on to something.

I checked the Audio Properties. I'ts on the SB card.

I disabled the other sound card in bios.

Nothing going into the recording application at all. Even the meters aren't seeing a signal. The volume controls adjust the level I'm hearing in the speakers when I tweek the line in or the overall volume so that's working.

Thx everyone, but I'm still stumped.

Anything else?
                  Bob I

Comment

Bob,

There's 2 things you have to check in order for your recording apps to see the source. Since you're working with 2 different audio cards/circuits, you need to 1: Tell Windows to use the SB Live as your preferred audio device.
                    2: Tell Windows to use the correct input source of the SB Live.

to do:

1. Go into control panels and open up the multimedia or sounds control panel. Set playback device to SB Wave (or something along those lines)
                    Set recording device to SB Wave (again something along those lines)

2. Open up the Windows mixer after doing the above step..the top part of that window should tell you that it's the SB Live's volume controls you're working in. If not, make absolute sure that step 1 is complete.
                    Click on options--> preferences. (or something like that...its on the top left of the window)
                    That should open a new little window with 2 radio buttons.
                    Click on the recording radio button and hit OK.
                    That will change the main mixer window from the Playback view to the Recording view. If you're plugged into the LINE Input, "SELECT" the line input by checking the little square button. If you're using a cheap PC mic (which I know you aren't!)..and it's plugged into the red colored port in the SB Live card, select Mic input. Make sure that the levels on those ports are cranked.
                    The SELECT part will tell Windows to listen to that port for all default audio applications that do not support multitrack recording.

Now try recording something or test your meters by playing something through the inputs.

Hope this helps and works!
                    FS/T - Vintage MXR 6 band EQ - $45 shipped OBO
                    BOSS DS-1 almost new - $37 shipped OBO
                    Looking to trade for a 60GB+ hard drive - Seagate or Maxtor

put your bacon to my head

http://ultimateguitarpage.com/about/yoshi

Comment

OK, Lets see

You are putting an analog signal into the line in at an appropriate level

The input can be heard at the computer's speakers, which are connected from the SB's speaker out jack. I assumr the speakers have a volume pot & it doesn't have to be dimed to hear the input in the speakers. Everything copacetic, no extroardinary volume levels required.

This means your input is OK
                      The sound card is receiving the input & processing it OK.

There are however apparantly no other devices or software that are aware of the input. Sound Forge does not acknowledge an input signal. Correct?

Microsoft recorder sees zip as well.

Anything on the line out? What if you play a sound forge track? Or the msoft audio warning chimes?

I'm not sure if the speaker output from the line in actually gets digitized, or if its routed directly from the line in.

The mixer should control whether the signal to the line out is from the D/A converter (ie digital audio), or from the input (analog). The D/a converter is essentially the return signal from the recording device/software

This is starting to sound familiar. I think your mixer is not set up correctly, not installed or in conflict with the SB mixer. Do you have an SB mixer installed?

I had a similar problem, and eventually got a message I interpreted to say, dude, you got no mixer installed, which confused me as I had never installed a mixer, and had no history of problems. But apparantly there is a default microsoft mixer, which I had somehow damaged, or disabled. I had not installed the SB mixer intentionally as I thought it was more PITA (Pain in the...) than it was worth. But when I installed it, Things returned to as normal as things get with computers.

I eventually solved my sound card issues by getting a Delta 1010. I like problems I can just throw money at
                      Your mind is a terrible place to store important information.

Pix & Music at
                      http://www.riochamastudios.com

Comment

Damn, I thought you guys were on to something.

I checked the Audio Properties. I'ts on the SB card.

I disabled the other sound card in bios.

Nothing going into the recording application at all. Even the meters aren't seeing a signal. The volume controls adjust the level I'm hearing in the speakers when I tweek the line in or the overall volume so that's working.

Thx everyone, but I'm still stumped.

Anything else?

Bob, you might try right clicking on my computer on your desktop and hit properties.
                        Go to device manager then click on you audio and see if it has any of the on board stuff still there.
                        if it does get rid of it. and reboot.
                        Also there click on the SB stuff and it properities and see if there are any conflicts with other hardware trying to use the same IRQ.

Lastly if all eles fails, uninstall the SB software turn you puter off

Pull your SB card reboot with no card then shut down then stick your card back in reboot have windows find it on the reboot and install the software when it asked for it.

I know this sounds like a pain in the ass! but

also you may want to change the slot you are using for the card sometimes that has something to do with it.

kind of like ISA slots and modems, you never place the modem at the end slot.

Good Luck man,

Let us know if it is still hangin up on you

Peace, bob
                        Classic Rock/Blues are not dead they just smell funny.
                        Guitars:
                        Epiphone re-iusse 63 Firdbird7
                        '98 MIA Roadhouse Strat
                        G&L Custom shop Legacy
                        G&L Tribute Asat Classic
                        Ibanez asf75t
                        Epi. AlleyKat
                        DeArmond JetStar
                        electroCoustic BY Dave254
                        Self built FrankenStrat
                        Walden G630 CE
                        MIJ Fender Tele
                        AMPS
                        1974 Twin in a headcab built by Shovelhead with a matching 2x12 cab
                        1996 Crate VC50310
                        1958 Fender Bassman Head

Marshall 1965A 4x10 cab
                        EFFECTS
                        Digitech RP7
                        Digitech RP10
                        Digitech Genesis3
                        Vox ToneLab SE
                        Dunlop Crybaby
                        RECORDING
                        Cool Edit Pro2000
                        Shure mics and enough cable to hang myself! lol
                        Behringer EuroRack MX802A not grat but does the deed
                        Member of the Geezer Brigade .... #258
                        Click here to visit the robmizzi.com

Comment

Originally posted by Six Stringer

Bob, you might try right clicking on my computer on your desktop and hit properties.
                          Go to device manager then click on you audio and see if it has any of the on board stuff still there.
                          if it does get rid of it. and reboot.
                          Also there click on the SB stuff and it properities and see if there are any conflicts with other hardware trying to use the same IRQ.

Lastly if all eles fails, uninstall the SB software turn you puter off

Pull your SB card reboot with no card then shut down then stick your card back in reboot have windows find it on the reboot and install the software when it asked for it.

I know this sounds like a pain in the ass! but

also you may want to change the slot you are using for the card sometimes that has something to do with it.

kind of like ISA slots and modems, you never place the modem at the end slot.

Good Luck man,

Let us know if it is still hangin up on you

Peace, bob

Thx Bob, I've already tried that trick of de-install and re-install. Good post though.
                          Bob I

Comment

Woopie, it's fixed

I deinstalled again, this time I downloaded the XP drivers from Creative and Viola, it worked. Now I ca post some clips of the Agile vs others.
                            Bob I

Comment

Working...
                            X