Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dylan's real masterpiece!

I've always said that John Wesley Harding is his best album. And maybe it is but damn, Self Portrait is perhaps just as good. He is showing us his very special kind of humor.

Like a really beautifully sung version of Blue Moon. You know the voice he got when he quit smoking and didn't drink too much alcohol, the voice on Lay Lady Lay. He is just over the line a little in the beginning, otherwise he stays serious throughout the song.

Or his version of The Boxer as both Simon and Garfunkel. Gues he didn't like that tune too much Or his joke on Manfred Mann's version of his own tune The Mighty Quinn. First break, everybody sings their own version of the harmonies, it's all about to crash but they lean on Bob and they get to the chorus. And then he shouts "Well, that guitar now!" and Robbie just burns!

Or the fact that he's done a version of It hurts Me Too and it says the he, Bob Dylan, wrote it. That's an inside joke, but it's pretty funny. OK, he did actually write new lyrics to all the verses but so did Elmore James, and it's still Tampa Red's tune. Anyone believe that Dylan doesn't know?

Or the totally dissastrous live version of Like A Rolling Stone, I think it's from Isle Of Weight, with The band. He must have been drunk when he sang that, forgets the lyrics all the time and sings whatever melody he damn well pleases, in whatever key he feels like. And then he releases it!

Is it a Self Portrait? You bet. Not always flattering, but good self portraits seldom are.
    Terje Larsson

inbox is full, send e-mail instead

Hey, wanna look at my comics? Come here then http://terjelarssonserier.blogspot.com/

Ah, sorry, it's all in swedish, but you can always look!

You can also check out my crazy friend Dan's crazy website where he'll teach you to master the guitar in 8 minutes (or days... or whatever).

http://spytunes.co.uk/

Yeah, it's quite a rich legacy, and he's not dead yet!
    NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

Originally posted by Smilin' Bob
      he's not dead yet!

no, but he does smell funny.
      The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

There are many among us who think life is but a joke!
        NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

Originally posted by Help!I'marock!

no, but he does smell funny.

Looks funny, too.
          ... there's more guitar content and less annonymous cowards grinding their axes ...

Comment

Originally posted by TeleCastrMaster

Looks funny, too.

actually, he does look dead. like reagan since about 1970. but also like reagan, he's not dead. he just smells funny.
            The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

Y'all messin wit da Bob ! Ya'll messin wit da Bob !
              Betta stop it ! He numba one !
              Originally Posted by Dew Knot Hump

Those guitars are uglier than Rosie O'Donnells ass-crack and the amp is like this forum, too many knobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Help!I'marock!

actually, he does look dead. like reagan since about 1970. but also like reagan, he's not dead. he just smells funny.

But he was so much older then, he's younger than that now!

No offense intended, but (see above) . . .

Old is the new new.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
                -Dorothy Parker

Comment

shouts..."Judas!"

Comment

I guess we all have our opinions on the Zimmerman kid...my personal favorite was New Morning..seemed like he stretched out more, took his time to make the album show some polish (but not slick!)...you hear pieces of JWH, Nashville Skyline...but he also foreshadowed his much later works here, he made the promise, and spent another 30 years carrying it out...not many other artists have the longevity or the leeway to get away with that...

Bob has put some pretty uneven material out (Blood on the Tracks, the Ramona thing) but when you look at the entire body of work..you have to give the man his props!
                    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

There's a lot of good stuff on Blonde on Blonde.

Old is the new new.

-Dorothy Parker

Comment

Originally posted by sax
                        shouts..."Judas!"

So, that was you?
                        Terje Larsson

Hey, wanna look at my comics? Come here then http://terjelarssonserier.blogspot.com/

You can also check out my crazy friend Dan's crazy website where he'll teach you to master the guitar in 8 minutes (or days... or whatever).

Comment

Originally posted by Timezarrow
                          There's a lot of good stuff on Blonde on Blonde.

And some pretty boring stuff too. He was stoned out of his mind when he wrote that and the poetry suffered a lot.
                          Terje Larsson

Comment

Originally posted by Terje

And some pretty boring stuff too. He was stoned out of his mind when he wrote that and the poetry suffered a lot.

Well, I would not feel so all alone . . .

Old is the new new.

-Dorothy Parker

Comment

Working...
                            X