No announcement yet.

My Vintage

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Vintage

Coleman cooler is the coolest. It's an 1980 steel-belted (metal-clad) 40 quarter, green, with white plastic trim. No pickups, neck or strings, but there is a little reverb inside when it's empty. Keeps stuff a lot cooler, a lot longer than those modern, made-in-China plastic imitation Colemans. Mine still has the original plastic drain hole plug.
    NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

When I was a kid we used to camp a lot in Missouri, and I recently acquired a few pieces of the camping gear, a Coleman 2 mantle lantern and double burner camp stove. I restored both of them, they looked pretty bad, the lantern had been dropped overboard at least twice. The Coleman cooler from that time (1970's) was tan with a faux wood grain door, it stood upright like a small refridgerator. It rusted out and got tossed years ago.

Comment

The Colemans from the 70's are significantly different from those of the 80's. Although the 80's models kept beverages cool longer and tended to be more rugged, the vibe from the 70's models cannot be denied, the cold factor was unmistakenly colder, a cold that cannot be recreated with todays' modern materials. There was more actual hands-on craftsmanship and less assembly line construction found that is common in later models.
      DJ's on the radio
      Karaoke in the shower
      ¡Support Live Musica!

Comment

Elitists!! You guys are just stuck in the past! Old School!Plastic and polystyrene keep beverages just as cold as your metal coolers...even cooler IMHO!! And they're easier to carry!
        Thanks, and rock on!

Comment

I agree with your comparison of the 70s and 80s Coleman models, with one exception: the 1980 steelbelt that I own.

The 1980 addition of the bell steel belt, shaped and fitted with the loving care of Delta craftsmen using techniques passed down through generations, coupled with the perfectly matched white thermoplastic body, and the tight, tight fit of lid to body, ensured that the 1980 model was the coolest of the cool (which it still remains). Of course, movement of manufacturing to Taiwan and assembly to Shri Lanka in 1981 caused huge quality control problems, and resulting severe loss of coolness which has never been recovered.
          NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

Comment

Originally posted by braif
            Elitists!! You guys are just stuck in the past! Old School!Plastic and polystyrene keep beverages just as cold as your metal coolers...even cooler IMHO!! And they're easier to carry!

I'd rather lug around a heavy, bulky, point-to-point-welded cooler any day.

Comment

The vintage cool you get from a quality crafted piece of gear like this:

...just simply cannot be compared to the bought-at-Walmart pedestrian chill that come from one of these:

Puh-leeeze!
              DJ's on the radio
              Karaoke in the shower
              ¡Support Live Musica!

Comment

Originally posted by rangerkarlos

...just simply cannot be compared to the bought-at-Walmart pedestrian chill that come from one of these:

Puh-leeeze!

Ahooooo! You got it, daddy-o!

Comment

Yeah, whatever.
                  Coolers are for kids.
                  Coleman's 70's era models were mass-produced and inferior in construction and efficiency to today's Igloo's. Which, admittedly, are mass-produced also.
                  People just like the old Colemans for the nostalgia factor and
                  collectable worth. They are ridiculously over valued.

REAL men, collect vintage camping stoves. The craftsmanship of the late 60's early 70's Swedish backpacking stoves reigns supreme among collectors.
                  My SVEA 123 is my pride and joy. I lovingly polish it to a fine glow at least twice a year*. It runs off a variety of liquid fuels making it versatile and ready for any situation. Its well thought out goblet shape is a hallmark of Swedish design, combining solid functionality with graceful lines. And it still boils water faster than any cheap American model of ANY period.

You say you still have the original drain plug? That's interesting, they're usually the first things to go. This isn't some tawdry attempt to inflate your Colemans value prior to a sale is it?

*yeah, it's pathetic but I really do. I love that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Norsegod
                    Yeah, whatever.
                    Coolers are for kids.
                    Coleman's 70's era models were mass-produced and inferior in construction and efficiency to today's Igloo's. Which, admittedly, are mass-produced also.
                    People just like the old Colemans for the nostalgia factor and
                    collectable worth. They are ridiculously over valued.

REAL men, collect vintage camping stoves. The craftsmanship of the late 60's early 70's Swedish backpacking stoves reigns supreme among collectors.
                    My SVEA 123 is my pride and joy. I lovingly polish it to a fine glow at least twice a year*. It runs off a variety of liquid fuels making it versatile and ready for any situation. Its well thought out goblet shape is a hallmark of Swedish design, combining solid functionality with graceful lines. And it still boils water faster than any cheap American model of ANY period.

You say you still have the original drain plug? That's interesting, they're usually the first things to go. This isn't some tawdry attempt to inflate your Colemans value prior to a sale is it?

*yeah, it's pathetic but I really do. I love that thing.

I've found the simple design, portability, and versatility of the Dual Fuel

...better for the multiple wilderness cookery situations I find my self in.

When I really want that old time cookin' :

DJ's on the radio
                    Karaoke in the shower
                    ¡Support Live Musica!

Comment

Well, hey, if you really want to go retro nothing beats dragging a 40 pound Dutch Oven around. Tends to make the pack a tad heavy though.

By the way, my SVEA 123 is loud as all git out. Sounds like a jet engine. Given it's Swedish nature I find that to be, oh, a little ironic. I think maybe I've found a new name for my stove.

Comment

Originally posted by rangerkarlos

Puh-leeeze!

Oh sure!! If you are chilling tired old beverages like Pabst Blue Ribbon or Schlitz!

For a more hip and happenin' beverage like Zima or Mikes Hard Lemonade, the Plastic ROCKS HARD!!!
                        Thanks, and rock on!

Comment

Originally posted by Norsegod

I'm really offended by any suggestion that I would actually lie about something so fundamental to democracy and the American way of life!

And you know, Norsegod, you'd be doing yourself a big favor by actually taking your stove on a strenuous back-packing trip twice a year, instead of just polishing the thing. It's pathetic, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Smilin' Bob

I'm really offended by any suggestion that I would actually lie about something so fundamental to democracy and the American way of life!

And you know, Norsegod, you'd be doing yourself a big favor by actually taking your stove on a strenuous back-packing trip twice a year, instead of just polishing the thing. It's pathetic, really.

Doh!
                            A broadside to my REAL MAN status!
                            I'd think of a real scathing retort but, lucky for you, I have to go work.
                            Adios.

Comment

I don't go on the road that much anymore. However, my 1935 art deco Frigidaire keeps my beverages nice and cold. I know, I know, you are thinking, "If you don't travel you won't get anywhere. I bet that thing doesn't have an icemaker. Did Buck Rogers own that once? I would rather die than manually defrost a refridgerator."

Sure it doesn't have the bells and whistles that modern ones have. Sure I can't take it to your barbecue. Sure it isn't as efficient as newer models. But it is a part of history and will only appreciate in value. I know it is more eye candy than practicallity but one day my son will have it and hopefully he will pass it on to his son.

Comment

Working...
                              X