X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Old" artist that still have creative edge

When you think about it, there aren't very many "Old" artists...ones who have been around 20 years or more...who still have some creative edge rather than living on past laurels.

some that I can think of are:

Paul Simon (if you've read my posts enough you HAD to see that coming ). Paul recorded his first hit song in 1957 and yet even today his music is pushing new boundries. His latest CD "You are the one" is his best from a lyrical standpoint in many years.

Peter Gabriel. I just finished watching the free concert on DirecTV. It was stunning both musically and visually.
    Thanks, and rock on!

Knopfler
    Reality is the original Rorschach.

Comment

DAVID BOWIE!!

Comment

Originally posted by ottojones
        DAVID BOWIE!!

Excellent post!!!
        Thanks, and rock on!

Comment

Tom Petty

Comment

Carlos Santana
            Neil Young
            Van Morrison
            Joe Cocker
            Jeff Beck

Comment

The Mighty Bob is still the greatest poet in popular music. Nobody is even close.
              <div class="signaturecontainer">Terje Larsson<br />
              <br />
              <font size="0"><font color="red">inbox is full, send e-mail instead</font></font><br />
              <br />
              Hey, wanna look at <font color="red">my comics</font>? Come here then <a href="http://terjelarssonserier.blogspot.com/" target="_blank">http://terjelarssonserier.blogspot.com/</a><br />
              <br />
              Ah, sorry, it's all in swedish, but you can always <i>look</i>!<br />
              <br />
              You can also check out my crazy friend Dan's crazy website where he'll teach you to master the guitar in 8 minutes (or days... or whatever). <br />
              <br />
              <a href="http://spytunes.co.uk/" target="_blank">http://spytunes.co.uk/</a></div>

Comment

Scott Morgan-had hits in the late 60s with green eyed soul band the Rationals,fronted Sonic's Rendezvous Band in the 70s with Fred Smith,continued w/the Scott Morgan Band and Scott's Pirates in the 80s and 90s and now has the Hydromatics in Europe and Powertrane in the USA. www.motorcityjams.com www.realomind.com

Brian Setzer-from the Stray Cats through his big band is a fine progression.

Lee Rocker-just heard his band last night(Sat) They were great.Played cool new material,classic rockabilly tunes, Stray cats tunes even an updated version of Frankie and Johnny.Just a fine show in general.While not quite in the same class as Dylan and other folks mentioned it was a really fine show.Great guitar from Brophy Dale as well.Its been 20 years plus since the Stray cats were a hot item.

Wayne Kramer-MC5,Gang War,Was not Was,and solo releases in the 90s and 2003.Citizen Wayne was a great release and Adult World includes both rock and more jazz/skronky material.
                <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Now we're going to play a Cecil Taylor tune&quot;-Fred &quot;Sonic&quot; Smith<br />
                <br />
                check out www.myspace.com/sonicsrendezvousband box set recommended!</div>

Comment

Bowie
                  Beck
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;They have started throwing those pencils, but they are not pencils, they are booby traps to kill the children&quot; - Iraqi Information Minister Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf</div>

Comment

that *ahem* Canadian band *cough cough*

eh.

<div class="signaturecontainer">Check out my music at http://nigeld.freewebspace.com<br />
                    <br />
                    <font size="1"><b>On Toronto vs. the UK<br />
                    <br />
                    <i>rosskoss:</i></b> Well there you go then. I can't see how one can choose something else over that? Lotsa music, slutty chicks, nice weather, no SARS...<br />
                    <br />
                    <b><i>Six String Stuntman Steve:</i></b> No SARS? Hear Hear!!! This might be the better place to go afterall!!</font><br />
                    </div>

Comment

Originally posted by Six String Stuntman Steve

eh.

You're a true fanatic. It's a good thing I agree with you, eh.

Comment

Originally posted by Six String Stuntman Steve

eh.

You know, it never occurs to me that Rush is an "old" band...but when I think about it, I first saw them in 1977

I guess that is kind of testimony to thier ability to stay up with the times (or ahead of them as the case may be)
                        Thanks, and rock on!

Comment

Originally posted by braif

You know, it never occurs to me that Rush is an "old" band...but when I think about it, I first saw them in 1977

I guess that is kind of testimony to thier ability to stay up with the times (or ahead of them as the case may be)
                          I saw them in 1987 and when NP did the YYZ solo I almost hit the floor. He was on a huge rotating platform with an acoustic kit on the front and an electronic kit on the back. He played the most way-out solo I've ever heard him play, playing the different kits as they rotated in front of him, but didn't miss a beat. No mistakes.

Come to think of it, I don't think any of them made any clams the whole night. Bliss.

Comment

Originally posted by ottojones
                            DAVID BOWTIE!!

HeHeHe!
                            <div class="signaturecontainer">Your mind is a terrible place to store important information.<br />
                            <br />
                            Pix &amp; Music at<br />
                            <a href="http://www.riochamastudios.com" target="_blank">http://www.riochamastudios.com</a></div>

Comment

Originally posted by koiwoi
                              Come to think of it, I don't think any of them made any clams the whole night. Bliss.
                              Yep........the "synth era" 80s were pretty the peak in Rush's career as far as performance goes. Lifeson got control over his shredding, Geddy's voice became bearable while still maintaining that pitch range, and Peart was also pretty much on top of his game.

Too bad about the tinny tones they ALL had.
                              <div class="signaturecontainer">Check out my music at http://nigeld.freewebspace.com<br />
                              <br />
                              <font size="1"><b>On Toronto vs. the UK<br />
                              <br />
                              <i>rosskoss:</i></b> Well there you go then. I can't see how one can choose something else over that? Lotsa music, slutty chicks, nice weather, no SARS...<br />
                              <br />
                              <b><i>Six String Stuntman Steve:</i></b> No SARS? Hear Hear!!! This might be the better place to go afterall!!</font><br />
                              </div>

Comment

Working...
                              X