No announcement yet.

The blues... it doesn't get any better than this

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The blues... it doesn't get any better than this

Listening through the 5 CD:s I now own of all the recordings made by Ma Rainey. First of all, she may be better than Bessie even. Cause there's something very deep and honest about her voice (as if Bessie's voice isn't deep and honest but anyway, deeper, even more honest, is that OK?). Ma's voice is really open, just raw. And damn sexy too, I swear. She was ugly as hell but her voice...

There are too many great musicians on those recordings too. Coleman Hawkins, Louis Armstrong, Blind Blake... and Tampa Red. My main man Tampa plays on some sides and this is when it becomes more than just great music, it's great art. Blues never evolved past this point, it just regressed. I'm sorry but that's the sad truth.

On the other han, we have the recordiings so it's cool
    Terje Larsson

inbox is full, send e-mail instead

Hey, wanna look at my comics? Come here then http://terjelarssonserier.blogspot.com/

Ah, sorry, it's all in swedish, but you can always look!

You can also check out my crazy friend Dan's crazy website where he'll teach you to master the guitar in 8 minutes (or days... or whatever).

http://spytunes.co.uk/

So you're telling me Albert Collins is a regression of the blues, not real blues.

****************! And here I was, liking it and everything.

****************!

Anyone want to buy about 90 so-called 'blues' discs?

I'm so bummed.
    DJ's on the radio
    Karaoke in the shower
    ¡Support Live Musica!

Comment

Originally posted by rangerkarlos
      So you're telling me Albert Collins is a regression of the blues, not real blues.

****************!

I'm so bummed.

I'll take them off your hands...

Will you take $10?
      ... there's more guitar content and less annonymous cowards grinding their axes ...

Comment

i'll bid $11
        GuitarCenter sucks.
        MusiciansFriend sucks.
        This has been a public service message.

Comment

****************!

I'm so bummed.

It THINK it's just Terje's way of sayin' HE DIGS IT>>>>..

anyways,,, I'll give ya $12 bucks....
          Columbia SC, USA
          bluesman at large/musician for hire
          current passport-no travel restrictions

Comment

The thing about the blues is that it's really not blue at all. It's red, green, orange, pink, violet, yellow, black, white... it has got more colors than the rainbow.

Comment

Originally posted by MoosBros

It THINK it's just Terje's way of sayin' HE DIGS IT>>>>..

anyways,,, I'll give ya $12 bucks....

Originally posted by Terje
              Blues never evolved past this point, it just regressed. I'm sorry but that's the sad truth.

No, Terje is laying down the law.

I've been mistaken oh these many years in thinking I was listening to great blues artists. I was wasting time.

12 bucks huh?

Hmmmmmmm...
              DJ's on the radio
              Karaoke in the shower
              ¡Support Live Musica!

Comment

12 bucks is too rich for my blood...
                ... there's more guitar content and less annonymous cowards grinding their axes ...

Comment

The sad thing is, this might give The Hawk a bad name, and he was the best.

Comment

I've been mistaken oh these many years in thinking I was listening to great blues artists. I was wasting time.

12 bucks huh?

Hmmmmmmm...

Well,, all I can say is,, I'll take your CD's, give you the $12 bucks,, and I'll put them in with all of mine,, since they're useless too.... no hard feelings though.. I might can do us both a favor and unload them at the next garage sale.....
                    Columbia SC, USA
                    bluesman at large/musician for hire
                    current passport-no travel restrictions

Comment

No, Ma Rainey was laying it down already back in the 20's...

C'mon Karlos, you actually understand what I mean. I love a lot of blues that comes after this stuff too but...

Dammit man, have you actually gone out and bought a CD with Ma Rainey and listened to it yet? I mean really, cause if you haven't then you haven't got a clue. No idea whatsoever!

This stuff is some of the best damn blues I have ever heard and I have heard lots. Sure, there's other stuff that is about as good as this but...

... just listen to it Karlos, just listen to it and cry. It's as beautiful as she was ugly.
                      Terje Larsson

inbox is full, send e-mail instead

Hey, wanna look at my comics? Come here then http://terjelarssonserier.blogspot.com/

Ah, sorry, it's all in swedish, but you can always look!

You can also check out my crazy friend Dan's crazy website where he'll teach you to master the guitar in 8 minutes (or days... or whatever).

http://spytunes.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Terje

No, Ma Rainey was laying it down already back in the 20's...

C'mon Karlos, you actually understand what I mean. I love a lot of blues that comes after this stuff too but...

Dammit man, have you actually gone out and bought a CD with Ma Rainey and listened to it yet? I mean really, cause if you haven't then you haven't got a clue. No idea whatsoever!

This stuff is some of the best damn blues I have ever heard and I have heard lots. Sure, there's other stuff that is about as good as this but...

... just listen to it Karlos, just listen to it and cry. It's as beautiful as she was ugly.

*yawn*
                        DJ's on the radio
                        Karaoke in the shower
                        ¡Support Live Musica!

Comment

This discussion just illustrates the very wide spectrum that blues coves. My own favorite flavor is the 50's uptown style of BB King, Bobby Bland, etc.However I could see why someone could really dig Ma Rainey. Speaking of great female blues singers, have you ever heard Big Maybelle or Sister Rosetta Tharpe (great guitar player)?

Comment

I like that blues song that Dave Mathews sings.................
                            Check out my music at CDBABY!

Casey Just and the PsykoPhoniks

The Just

My SoundClick Page

"Sounds like music for the gathering information part of a heist by a gang of London sophisticate robbers.

I'd rob London banks to that music." ~ El Cruncho

Comment

ma rainey? i'd kiss her black bottom!

got any james cotton in there RK? if so, i'll go 20.00.
                              we're forming a club and letting everyone in.

Comment

Working...
                              X