No announcement yet.

Possible drawbacks of practicing with a computer

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible drawbacks of practicing with a computer

So I have this BAIB stuff on my computer. It's fast and easy to just write out a chord progression on and then have it played back up to 40 choruses in a row. In whatever key and whatever tempo you like. Basically in any style you like too.

This seems ideal for practice and I've treid it a few times. There is however one problem. BAIB does not swing no matter what you do to it. What happens to your rhythmic feel over time if you keep practicing much with this thing?
    Terje Larsson

inbox is full, send e-mail instead

Hey, wanna look at my comics? Come here then http://terjelarssonserier.blogspot.com/

Ah, sorry, it's all in swedish, but you can always look!

You can also check out my crazy friend Dan's crazy website where he'll teach you to master the guitar in 8 minutes (or days... or whatever).

http://spytunes.co.uk/

I don't know!

But isn't it the same as practicing with a metronome? They don't swing either, but working with one helps you to do so in the long run, because you learn to keep time, which is necessary before swinging. Maybe some some people who think they "swing" (not you, of course), really don't keep time very well.
    NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

Machine's don't swing. They don't feel. They don't know how to anticipate/retard to create tension. Live with it. It is a practice tool. I practiced with drum machines for many years, even while playing in bands because it made my timing extremely precise...and that allowed me to work the human side more effectively. It also drives drummers crazy when you tell them they are slowing down or speeding up..they know they are (if the yare any good), they just don't hink anyone else can tell.
      "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
      "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

I don't think it's a serious problem. Maybe on the contrary. If one develops a feel for
        metronomic time (more or less exact) one can drift between pushing the beat, dragging behind it and playing on top of it.

talk is cheap

Not my band's site www.jubie.se

Comment

Originally posted by Fred5
          If one develops a feel for metronomic time (more or less exact) one can drift between pushing the beat, dragging behind it and playing on top of it.

For that I can use a metronome. What scares me a bit is that this machine "swings" like some of my young friends "swing". Can it be good to play and practice with something that "swings" like crap?
          Terje Larsson

Hey, wanna look at my comics? Come here then http://terjelarssonserier.blogspot.com/

You can also check out my crazy friend Dan's crazy website where he'll teach you to master the guitar in 8 minutes (or days... or whatever).

Comment

I have played guitar for many, many years but only in the last couple have I discovered the advantages of using the computer to work out and practice new tunes, especially tunes that I didn't know before.
            With about 25,000 midi files and using Logic Audio I have been able to listen to any track, study the dots and best of all play quietly to learn the track without interruption.
            Next best thing is to lift the drum track and play it at rehearsal...no need for the drummer to turn up and although the "swing" ain't there, you must have discipline. The track always finishes at the same time, can't put in another turnaround to get you out of a scrape!
            All members of the band can learn the numbers on their own so saving time at rehearsal.
            Disadvantages are that some of the midi files sound a little naff but they are usually note perfect to the original. The improvisation comes in a litle later when the band meet, of course, but everyone already has a feel for the number and that saves time.
            Tell you what tho'...the older I have got the louder we seem to play. Mmmmmm, now there is a thing!

Comment

My drum machine had a swing function. The software prolly has a swing function in it somewhere.
              Check out my music at CDBABY!

Casey Just and the PsykoPhoniks

The Just

My SoundClick Page

"Sounds like music for the gathering information part of a heist by a gang of London sophisticate robbers.

I'd rob London banks to that music." ~ El Cruncho

Comment

Originally posted by jivejust
                My drum machine had a swing function. The software prolly has a swing function in it somewhere.

it does try to "swing" you know. It has uneven 8th notes and all. But it sounds very bad and I have noticed that a lot of younger musicians I play with sound like this too.
                Terje Larsson

Comment

Originally posted by Terje

it does try to "swing" you know. It has uneven 8th notes and all. But it sounds very bad and I have noticed that a lot of younger musicians I play with sound like this too.

No doubt from practicing solely with that type of software instead of humans...
                  "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
                  "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

Originally posted by Terje

For that I can use a metronome. What scares me a bit is that this machine "swings" like some of my young friends "swing".

This forum has stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!

Use a PC. Use a Mac. Use a wax cylinder for all I care. Linkin Park isn't better for using ProTools just as The White Stripes isn't better for using an 8-track reel-to-reel. If you sit there and spew forth how your PC is faster and cheaper than my Mac, all you're really saying is "Hey, look at me! I'm not making music tonight!"
                    audacity works

You have very meaty hands. I bet you could crush a small child's skull with those things.
                    Purple Monkey Dishwasher

Comment

Working...
                    X