Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a place near me in L.A. called SWORK'S that's sort of an indie answer to Starbucks. They sell thier own brand, and have all the various flavors of hot and cold drinks. Really good.

There used to be a place in the city of Brea CA (about 40 miles from L.A.) called Regency Coffee Roast, where the owner, a guy named Frank had an on site coffee roaster and would roast the beans daily. He had several employees, but they weren't allowed to roast the beans. That was HIS job. The guy was a fanatic and would throw out the beans if they didn't come out perfect.

Frank made the best coffee ever. Many was the time my wife and me would drive there and pick up 4 or 5 pounds, which we'd freeze. Of course we always had a cup of something special while we were there. Then one day we went and the place had closed down and there was a pizza joint there instead.

It was wonderful while it lasted.
    "When I gave food to the poor, they called me a saint. When I asked why the poor were hungry, they called me a communist." - Mother Teresa.

"If fascism ever comes to America, it will come wrapped in the American flag and carrying the cross of Jesus"- Sinclair Lewis.

'Ketchup is a vegetable" - Ronald Reagan.

"Let's all hope Olbermann gets put in the hospital for something serious fairly soon" - G.Z. Sound
    +++++
    My web site

Comment

I put so much cream and sugar in my coffee that it doesn't matter what kind it is.
      Originally Posted by Dew Knot Hump

Those guitars are uglier than Rosie O'Donnells ass-crack and the amp is like this forum, too many knobs.

Comment

The French Press is just another type of coffee maker. You grind the beans and put them in the bottom of the press. You then add the water and push down on a plunger that has a fine screen on the bottom. At the end you have coffee...at least that's my understanding of how they work. I've seen them used but never actually used one.

There's a coffee place in a mall here that I get my beans from. I don't remember the name, though. There's also Caribu Coffee around here that I prefer to Starbucks. I agree with whomever said there's a little chemical type taste to the Starbucks stuff. It's not bad, but there's other stuff I prefer for the price.

During the week I just drink Folgers.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormbringer

Presidenttip
          Anyone seen Dano?

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyragamuffin

Yea...at least a press isn't too costly. I wish I could have a piston espresso machine, but they're so damned expensive!

Turnip, what does your shop have for a machine? You guys using an automatic espresso system or...? (I'm spoiled, my shop uses a good ol' fully manual piston machine...LOVE pulling shots of espresso with that bad boy!)

I always felt Starbucks has too much of a chemical taste to it...but to each his own. I try not to be *too* much of a snob! Starbucks is an "OK" coffee to me, though I never, ever drink it (don't like the company). Right now the shop I work at is serving Alterra. I feel that it would be a good coffee except they burn too many of the beans by roasting it too hot, too fast. It's another "OK" coffee that would be good if roasted more carefully. I was VERY excited when the new incoming owner of the place I work at (he happens to be one of my studio partners, incidentally) announced we'd be switching to Victor Allens Victor...the guy is a coffee savant!

I actually work at Starbucks. It's the best coffee I could want for free (get a pound a week free). I'll have to check out Victor Allens, though.
            Out espresso machine is automatic, which means it's a ****************ing bitch to get decent shots out of if the weather isn't all but perfect.
            I really like being a barista, but the pay sucks my ass through a straw. I'm looking for another job.

Do you like mild or bolder coffees? I hate lighter coffees...the acidity tears my stomach up.
            I thought it was going to be different;It turned out to be(,) just the same.

Comment

Originally posted by turnip

I actually work at Starbucks. It's the best coffee I could want for free (get a pound a week free). I'll have to check out Victor Allens, though.
              Out espresso machine is automatic, which means it's a ****************ing bitch to get decent shots out of if the weather isn't all but perfect.
              I really like being a barista, but the pay sucks my ass through a straw. I'm looking for another job.

Do you like mild or bolder coffees? I hate lighter coffees...the acidity tears my stomach up.

Ahhhh, I had that suspiscion Automatic machines are definitely tough to get nice shots out of...I like our manual, though it's tough to get really, really good froth. I like that, because it means we learn to steam extra carefully. Being a barista is really cool, though you're right, the pay is terrible. It's a tradeoff for me--poor pay, but a job I like, and the shop is literally across the street from my house and downstairs from my studio space...can't get much better! A pound a week would be nice, except I don't think I could drink that much that quick, and I don't keep beans too long beacuse they stale. I'd keep a quarter pound and sell the rest off for profit Do you guys get espresso roast free or is it just coffee roasts? I'd be in heaven with free espresso!

OK, I like robust coffees but ONLY if it's top notch coffee, otherwise it's much too acidic for my stomach. I think coffees like Alterra, Starbucks, Millstone, etc which aren't roasted very carerfully all are too acidic and bitter--even some of the really light roasts. If it's like that, I just take extra cream (an un-barista thing to do, I suppose) and try not to guzzle it down
              GuitarCenter sucks.
              MusiciansFriend sucks.
              This has been a public service message.

Comment

Ahhhh, I had that suspiscion...

A pound a week sounded like an awful lot to me, but I noticed that I emptied my bag today, so I guess I drink about that much coffee. Dunno if that's good or not.
                Your job set-up sounds sweet! Can I ask a personal question, though: How old are you? I can't imagine actually living off of what I make at Starbucks.
                I'm not sure if I can get espresso beans free; I'll check. I'm pretty sure I can, although I don't have the money to bring home an espresso machine.
                I'll see if I can't find some place that carries Victor Allen's (or check the net out) I'll let you know if I do.

Comment

Can I ask a personal question, though: How old are you? I can't imagine actually living off of what I make at Starbucks.
                  I'm not sure if I can get espresso beans free; I'll check. I'm pretty sure I can, although I don't have the money to bring home an espresso machine.
                  I'll see if I can't find some place that carries Victor Allen's (or check the net out) I'll let you know if I do.

I'm 22. No, I can't imagine living off that pay, either. I use the money for groceries, gas, studio rent, and other dailiy expenses. I'm a college student, and I also do other jobs--live sound gigs and project studio work--to make ends meet. I have one of those el cheapo Mr. Coffee espresso makers that the old tenant left behind in my place (terrible shots but I've worked out some useable recipes for mocha americano with it), otherwise if I want espresso I can go right across the street to my shop and it's half price, so that's what I susally do. If I was smart, I'd buy the espresso in bulk, grind it, take it over to the shop and make it there

Victor Allen's used to be out of Madison, WI and now they're out of Appleton WI (just north of where I'm at) and I'm honestly not sure that they've gone out of state yet. Maybe when we swithc over in a couple weeks I'll send ya some beans

A friend of mine, who's a mean blues harp player, is actually a taster for Victor's! Can you imagine....getting PAID to drink feshly roasted coffee all day and make sure it kicks ass?
                  GuitarCenter sucks.
                  MusiciansFriend sucks.

Comment

I'm 22. No, I can't imagine living off that pay, either. I use the money for groceries, gas, studio rent, and other dailiy expenses. I'm a college student, and I also do other jobs--live sound gigs and project studio work--to make ends meet. I have one of those el cheapo Mr. Coffee espresso makers that the old tenant left behind in my place (terrible shots but I've worked out some useable recipes for mocha americano with it), otherwise if I want espresso I can go right across the street to my shop and it's half price, so that's what I susally do. If I was smart, I'd buy the espresso in bulk, grind it, take it over to the shop and make it there

Victor Allen's used to be out of Madison, WI and now they're out of Appleton WI (just north of where I'm at) and I'm honestly not sure that they've gone out of state yet. Maybe when we swithc over in a couple weeks I'll send ya some beans

A friend of mine, who's a mean blues harp player, is actually a taster for Victor's! Can you imagine....getting PAID to drink feshly roasted coffee all day and make sure it kicks ass?

That would rock!

Yeah...I'm 23, and used to getting paid almost twice what I'm getting now. I moved to Michigan without a job waiting for me, and I didn't know that the city I moved to would be so college-student unfriendly. Oh well.....

Comment

That would rock!

Yeah...I'm 23, and used to getting paid almost twice what I'm getting now.

Oh, I knoooow the feeling!
                      GuitarCenter sucks.
                      MusiciansFriend sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by SiNiSTRaL
                        Anything with Cafein in it
                        I usually drink douwe egberts....

(hm, first post, good start )

Must have gone downhill fast after that. He was banned after 11 posts!

Must have been the douwe egberts . . . whatever they are!

No offense intended, but (see above) . . .

Old is the new new.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
                        -Dorothy Parker

Comment

anything that is light from indonesia is awesome...

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by turnip
                            I agree with dirtyragamuffin that a french press is the only way to go (and I'm also a barista! )

Baristas across the world agree!!

French Press is the only way to ply...extra strong for us addicts

Comment

• Working...
                              X