Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unbelievable but true - Gig report from me

Some of you might remember the troubles of my marginalized lil' orchestra Jubie playing instrumental, improvised music.

We couldn't get a gig to save our lives
    and I strongly believe it's necessary to play to an audience. For about a zillion reasons...

Anyway - we got a gig and performed yesterday night!!!! Happy, happy!!! and here's the gig report, remember I'm new to this :

I got home after work and packed all my things except the amp, spkr and the reel-to reel tape deck I use for delays. I got it all packed into a gigbag and a medium sized shoulderbag. Let me tell you, they are stuffed. Five pedals, ten cables, minidisc, adapters, srcrewdrivers, batteries, strings, slide, ebow, tuner, gaffer tape, etc and my electric guitar.

I got there 90 minutes prior to the doors opening and got to hear the other band supporting us do some sound checking. They played pretty well and with enthusiasm, sounded a bit like
    Rush plus keyboards. The empty room sounded awful, a stone floor and concrete walls. Luckily the ceiling was
    wooden and the place was rather big
    so at least there was no big resonances in the lows.

At about 1900 hours I got to set my **************** up. I soon discovered that the mains was really crappy with lots of nasty hum and of course the promoter
    didn't have a clue about that or anything else. Friendly guy though -
    a music fan.

I quote: "Dressing room? I don't know...
    ". You get the picture - no dressing room. While the other band played
    I got comfy on the floor outside the toilets, warming up, tuning up and generally chillin'. Oh, the glamourous life of a musician.

The show: we started out much like the way we usually do. Sounding somewhat
    like some indian music or some impressionistic prelude to something, just making noises centered around
    E minor this time. Can't say I mind.
    We played for about 46 minutes with
    a short brake in the middle where Erik, our keyboard player, informed the circa
    35 persons listening that we were about to commence on "Part 2".
    The first part turned out dreamy and somewhat Pink Floydish and the second
    part went more into funky, upbeat stuff.

The whole thing felt pretty good, although the acoustics sucked bad
    and I was so tired I had a hard time
    concentrating on playing, I went in and out of focus after a workweek of the regular sleep deprivation.

Everybody else semed pretty happy with it too, including the audience.
    They were a funny mix of totally regular
    university student that maybe never had heard anything like us live before
    and a few "weird music" afficionados
    that seemed to enjoy it a lot.

I've got the whole thing recorded
    and figure I'll post some clips of it
    if enough people is interested. ?

talk is cheap

Not my band's site www.jubie.se

I'm interested!!! Let's hear the clips!!!

Overall sounds like a good gig!! I envy you gigging guys...I don't have the guts to play in front of people
    Thanks, and rock on!

Comment

Let's hear the clips.
      I voted. So you are now at 100% lets hear it.

We played at a place called Chico Hot Springs over in Paradise Valley. It's a resort/spa/old hotel complex about 20 miles north of Yellowstone Park. It's one of the more desirable places to play around here. The accommodations are great. The food is good. The location is awesome and the bar is a great place to play.

We had a bunch of people show up for us on Saturday night and along with the regular crowd it was pretty well full and a good time. They danced all night long, always a plus.
      They booked us for two more gigs in the coming months. The bar manager told us he would put out the word for us which is encouraging given that he's pretty well known in these parts and by all accounts a good guy.

I thought I played pretty well for me and over all I thought the band sounded good. We played a bunch of standard covers for the first set which we dragged out for maybe an 1 1/2 hours since we had the 30 to 50 something crowd up and dancing. After our first break we came back and busted out the stuff that we like or at least I like. That got the younger people up and they stayed up the rest of the night, which was cool.

I'm discovering more and more that it takes me a solid hour to really loosen up (hands). Pretty often on Friday nights I get no warm up opportunities since I work all day then run home and grab guitars etc. then head to the practice space and load up then head to the gig (usually an hours drive) then set up, sound check and away we go.
      Since I run sound as well, I never get the chance to chill out for 45 minutes and run scales and exercises to warm up. Fridays I usually feel cold for half the night and by the time I warm up and am seriously ready to play we're just about done and everyone else is tired.
      Saturdays I usually have the time to really warm up my hands and it makes all the difference in the world. I'm looser and more confident and more in control.

Originally posted by braif
      Overall sounds like a good gig!! I envy you gigging guys...I don't have the guts to play in front of people

Just do it!
      It really isn't that hard or scary. If you've never gigged, take whatever you got and go to an open mic, swallow your fear, and play your best stuff. There are all kinds of open mic situations and many are EXTREMELY forgiving and supportive. Search them out and give it a shot. You will be glad you did.

Comment

Fred...post it (yeah, I know, I never post my stuff...because I'm ignorant...)

I am interested how you can sustain a continuity vamping on one chord for that long without either becoming monotonous or repetitive...obviously every one in your orchestra brings their own plate to the table, but eventually there has to be some thread of a melodic thrust...doesn't there?
        "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

Yes, I would be fascinated. I have serious trouble getting our band to contemplate anything over five minutes in duration! 46 minutes is awesome, if you managed to maintain the vibe.
          ✯ The Sound Of Faraway Artillery ✯

For Sale / Trade: Alesis AirFX & Bitrman £100 each inc PSU

On eBay UK: SPF I-5 Delay, Martin J12-15, Line 6 Echo+Mod+Filter Pro rack units and Mini Guitar Killswitches to help kids who can't hear good

Want: Fishman / LR Baggs piezo bridge for USA Strat, EHX DMB, Digitech Timebender

Comment

Thanks much for your feedback, guys.
            It's much appreciated. I'm too tired right now to reply but I'll be back. Cheers.

Here they are, the bunch from the first half of the gig.

Going from the intro I was talking about into a groove:
            http://hem.bredband.net/kirokov/audio/jubie_live-01.mp3

And here we morph into a different thing:
            http://hem.bredband.net/kirokov/audio/jubie_live-02.mp3

Here's the end of one thing and the beginning of another:
            http://hem.bredband.net/kirokov/audio/jubie_live-03.mp3

And here's a slice from the climax - guitar solo and everything with our drummer maxing out completely. I apologize on his behalf
            http://hem.bredband.net/kirokov/audio/jubie_live-04.mp3

I'll be back tomorrow, I have to sleep now.

talk is cheap

Comment

Sounds cool, lets hear the clips, would love it if you had a video too
              My new nickname:

Rev. Little Bluesdawg Pete

(As given by the great Danocoustic, thankee suh)

"You see? Sparky never bought gear, and he's touching my boob right now!"

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pete
                Sounds cool, lets hear the clips, would love it if you had a video too

Sorry Petey, no moving pictures. The clips are right above your post. At least in my browser.

Here's from the second half, we just faded out into silence and then Erik started again on some simple chords and a strange melody on his synth and we joined in:
                http://hem.bredband.net/kirokov/audio/jubie_live-05.mp3

And we kept going in a bluesy fashion. I play some slide here:
                http://hem.bredband.net/kirokov/audio/jubie_live-06.mp3

Here's what occured after that, the drummer decided that we needed a different beat:
                http://hem.bredband.net/kirokov/audio/jubie_live-07.mp3

This is what we were up to the last 5th of our concert. We don't focus much on solos, it's more about getting the whole thing to be happening...:
                http://hem.bredband.net/kirokov/audio/jubie_live-08.mp3

talk is cheap

Comment

Originally posted by Fred5
                  I quote: "Dressing room? I don't know...
                  ". You get the picture - no dressing room. While the other band played
                  I got comfy on the floor outside the toilets, warming up, tuning up and generally chillin'. Oh, the glamourous life of a musician.

You're a musician, not an actor.

The only times you will ever see dressing rooms are when you make it big. Or if you happen to play in a theater.

I've been gigging for three years (regularly for 6 months) and have never seen a dressing room for a musician.

Comment

Originally posted by moody

You're a musician, not an actor.
                    Hi moody! Thanks for bumping my thread

The only times you will ever see dressing rooms are when you make it big. Or if you happen to play in a theater.

So... maybe it wasn't a proper dressing room I was looking for. In Sweden we say "loge", meaning some kind of back stage room or area. It's probably from the french word with the same spelling and related to "lodging" in english.

I've been gigging for three years (regularly for 6 months) and have never seen a dressing room for a musician.

No? how about a tiny, smelly room without windows nor ventilation with
                    a mouldy sofa with one broken leg,
                    a bowl of peanuts and a case of beer?
                    I was yearning for one of those...

Waddya think of my band, btw?

talk is cheap

Comment

That sounded really kickass! Where did you play?
                      This forum has stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!

Use a PC. Use a Mac. Use a wax cylinder for all I care. Linkin Park isn't better for using ProTools just as The White Stripes isn't better for using an 8-track reel-to-reel. If you sit there and spew forth how your PC is faster and cheaper than my Mac, all you're really saying is "Hey, look at me! I'm not making music tonight!"
                      audacity works

You have very meaty hands. I bet you could crush a small child's skull with those things.
                      Purple Monkey Dishwasher

Comment

Originally posted by tubeman
                        That sounded really kickass! Where did you play?

Glad ya liked it!
                        At Ulrikedals festlokal, Lund, Sweden, Earth. Pretty cool place but isn't getting used much nowadays. Needs some heavy carpets for the sound and some interior renovation. The students has worn it down with 20 years of heavy partying.

talk is cheap

Comment

Wow! This is a lot. Can't listen to it at home, can
                          't listen to it now at work. Maybe later this week I'll have some dead hours at work and I'll be able to hear all this stuff.

Great thread Fred!

Which, since it rhymes, should be the title for your band's next tune. I'd use it myself but I write in Swedish strictly so it's all yours
                          Terje Larsson

inbox is full, send e-mail instead

Hey, wanna look at my comics? Come here then http://terjelarssonserier.blogspot.com/

Ah, sorry, it's all in swedish, but you can always look!

You can also check out my crazy friend Dan's crazy website where he'll teach you to master the guitar in 8 minutes (or days... or whatever).

http://spytunes.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Terje
                            Wow! This is a lot. Can't listen to it at home, can
                            't listen to it now at work. Maybe later this week I'll have some dead hours at work and I'll be able to hear all this stuff.
                            Finally Terje shows up! I'm sad to inform you that the dancing girl couldn't make it for some reason obscured to me

The clips are around 45 seconds each except fro the last one that is a bit over a minute long. If yoyu load them into Winamp or something they'll line up in the corrcet order (hopefully) and give you some idea as to what we were doing.

Great thread Fred!

Yeah, at least it's about music. Played by humans in realtime. I'm not a luddite or something, it's just the way we like to do it. Copy and paste music isn't interesting in the same way...

Which, since it rhymes, should be the title for your band's next tune. I'd use it myself but I write in Swedish strictly so it's all yours

How about "Dread the Undead Head That Flead Thread Said Fred"? Makes more sense to me.

talk is cheap

Comment

Originally posted by Norsegod
                              Let's hear the clips.
                              I voted. So you are now at 100% lets hear it.
                              OK, you've got it Thanks for voting!

I'm discovering more and more that it takes me a solid hour to really loosen up (hands). Pretty often on Friday nights I get no warm up opportunities since I work all day then run home and grab guitars etc. then head to the practice space and load up then head to the gig (usually an hours drive) then set up, sound check and away we go.
                              Since I run sound as well, I never get the chance to chill out for 45 minutes and run scales and exercises to warm up. Fridays I usually feel cold for half the night and by the time I warm up and am seriously ready to play we're just about done and everyone else is tired.
                              Saturdays I usually have the time to really warm up my hands and it makes all the difference in the world. I'm looser and more confident and more in control.

It's a drag! I also have to warm up for at least 30 minutes. Though, for some reason, if I've played several hours the day before I hardly have to warm up at all. Possibly it's also a mental thing, after an hour one is kind of zoomed in on the music and other stuff that's been
                              occupying one's mind has faded away.
                              Just my general experience.

I've been doing sound a lot too, I really try to stay away from it nowadays, mentally and physically. I need to focus on the playing.

talk is cheap

Comment

Working...
                              X