Favorite guitar solo

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite guitar solo

What is your favorite guitar solo?
    I am definately not a lead player, my fingers just refuse to work like that. I've been playing for 7 years now and can't manage a solo to save my life, but it is tempered by the fact that I truely dislike 98% of guitar solos. It seems I'm not really a fan of how guitars sound...LOL
    Anyway....every once in a while I hear a solo that I really, really do like.
    My favorites (at least at the moment) are:

There you are. What can you deduce from my choices about my guitar style?

What are yours?
    I thought it was going to be different;It turned out to be(,) just the same.

Unquestionably Johnny Winter's work on "Be Careful With a Fool" on his first self-titled Columbia release album. From his attention grabbing opening lead statements, to his fills, extended solo and ending - all of it. Amazing stuff IMHO.
    A forest is in an acorn.

HCGB Trooper #217

Comment

Perhaps Steve Khan's solo on "Modern Times"
      Originally Posted by Dew Knot Hump

Those guitars are uglier than Rosie O'Donnells ass-crack and the amp is like this forum, too many knobs.

Comment

David Gilmours lead on "Money" always gets me to feel that way cool heavy guitar vibe, the one that makes you feel like your chest is going to explode.
        It's not particularly difficult to play or technically complicated but the way it sounds in context with the music, the song, makes it one of the all time great leads in my book.

I personally like long leads and music without vocals or words.
        I listen to a lot of live recordings so my favorite leads tend to change every three to six months.

Been listening to a lot of Scofield lately.

Comment

Norsegod, you are so right about DG in "Money"!

And I will now expose my vulnerable body parts to flaming by mentioning that I love a lot of Jerry Garcia's leads in live Grateful Dead recordings I've heard...

*covers vulnerable body parts by assuming foetal position*
          Sergeant-in-Armchair, trooper #2 HCGB

"I know half of you half as well as I would like, and like half of you half as well as you deserve."

Comment

Originally posted by whamtone
            Norsegod, you are so right about DG in "Money"!

And I will now expose my vulnerable body parts to flaming by mentioning that I love a lot of Jerry Garcia's leads in live Grateful Dead recordings I've heard...

*covers vulnerable body parts by assuming foetal position*

Jerry would have to be my biggest influence as I actually started to get a handle on how to improvise.
            I wouldn't change a thing about my approach to guitar. I just hope to continue to get better at expressing myself through my instrument.

Comment

*peeks cautiously between figers*

whew, no flames!

I never even tried to play lead for my first 10 years playing because everything I tried sounded trite or derivative...

now I'm too old to care, so I play whatever I want and I think I've found my own "style"!
              Sergeant-in-Armchair, trooper #2 HCGB

"I know half of you half as well as I would like, and like half of you half as well as you deserve."

Comment

Dream Theater - Another Day

Comment

Freebird gets me going but Sweet Home Alabama probably is a better solo (rather than extended lead piece).

Most of Gilmour's work.
                  My new nickname:

Rev. Little Bluesdawg Pete

(As given by the great Danocoustic, thankee suh)

"You see? Sparky never bought gear, and he's touching my boob right now!"

Comment

T-Bone's solo on T-Bone Shuffle, the official take from the 40's. One of the best blues solos ever recorded. Not just on guitar.

But I do have a few other personal favorites...

Duane Allman's solo on Statesboro Blues but not the one from Filmore East but the one from Ludlow Garage which has a fake ending and then follows a really long slide solo.

Mick Jones solo on All The Young Punks is economical and uses the rhythm section to drive home the ending of each phrase.

And finally Ace Frehley's solo on Let Me Go Rock And Roll from Alive, the one after the drum and bass interlude.
                    Terje Larsson

inbox is full, send e-mail instead

Hey, wanna look at my comics? Come here then http://terjelarssonserier.blogspot.com/

Ah, sorry, it's all in swedish, but you can always look!

You can also check out my crazy friend Dan's crazy website where he'll teach you to master the guitar in 8 minutes (or days... or whatever).

http://spytunes.co.uk/

Comment

Just off of the top of my head, the solo in The Tube's "Talk to ya later", and Peter Frampton's "Do you feel like we do".
                      Thanks, and rock on!

Comment

Ten of my favorites:

Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water(from Made In Japan)
                        Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand
                        Jimi Hendrix - Bold As Love
                        Queen - Love Of My Life
                        Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
                        Dream Theater - Under A Glass Moon
                        Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven
                        Yngwie Malmsteen - Magic Mirror
                        Queen - The Show Must Go On
                        The Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Comment

We're talking favourites, not "the greatest", right? My faves this week, in no particular order:

- Zakk Wylde on Ozzy's "No Easy Way Out"
                          - Kim Thayil goin' nuts with the wah on Soundgarden's "Like Suicide"
                          - Billy Duffy short-n-sweet on The Cult's "Wild Flower"
                          - Billy Gibbon's intro on ZZTop's "Brown Sugar"
                          - Slash's outro for "November Rain"

Comment

Smashing Pumpkins - Billy Corgan - "Cherub Rock"
                            Meat Puppets - ? - "Backwater"
                            Led Zeppelin - Jimmy Page - "Stairway to Heaven
                            Sublime - Bradley Nowell - "Santer
                            Originally posted by IHEARTMUSIC to Wes_Powell

they nailed jesus to a cross and he cried less than you.

Comment

Trey's lead on Reba off Lawn Boy. The two chord thing after all the composed stuff.

Trey's lead on You Enjoy Myself off A Live One, the guitar lead that goes into the bass lead that goes into the acapella part.

Hendrix on Johnny Be Good, I think it's from Berkley.

Just about every lead Knopfler ever played.

Jerry on Althea from Go To Heaven.

Wes Montgomery, Willow Weep for Me, live somewhere, at the Half Note?

Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar, chose one.

Nigel Tufnell's solos.

Comment

Working...
                              X