Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

How would you rate your playing skill level?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SweetCpike
    How do I do it when I'm a drummer? Can I say it like from 1 - 10?
    Then I guess I would be like 6 or something......

Ratings for drummers should always be given in negative numbers.
    No offense intended, but (see above) . . .

Old is the new new.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
    -Dorothy Parker

Comment

I do a solo act using many fun toys such as harmonizer, looper, laptop, guitar synthesizer, etc. For many years I focused on guitar chops only to find that an all encompassing technical / musical / personal / business skill set has provided vastly more gigs.

I am a purist in the sense that to the best of my ability I make the song as complete as possible keeping in mind the spirit of the tune. That may or may not be note for note guitar solos (remember from the perspective of the entire live thing for most people a guitar solo is not that important). It does include all aspects of the tune including vocals, guitar, keys, presentation, clothes, lighting, drums, bass, overall mix, effects, dynamics processing, sound system configuration, midi, personal interplay with audience, etc.

In other words there are many that can do one thing better than me, but not so many that have a very well rounded skill set. This is where I have applied the notion of purist, to the entire end result.

I know the 5 basic chord positions as they relate to (for example m7b5, dim, aug), I practice the 7 modes based on the major scale and some of the more common hybrid scales etc.

Comment

Originally posted by alby
        I am a purist in the sense that to the best of my ability I make the song as complete as possible keeping in mind the spirit of the tune. That may or may not be note for note guitar solos (remember from the perspective of the entire live thing for most people a guitar solo is not that important). It does include all aspects of the tune including vocals, guitar, keys, presentation, clothes, lighting, drums, bass, overall mix, effects, dynamics processing, sound system configuration, midi, personal interplay with audience, etc.

That is the difference between being a musician and a showman. Few things hone the showmanship angle more than playing out live. That is something the bedroom wankers, garage jammers and casual players will rarely acquire: the total package. From the first time I played for an audience, I resolved that the entire performance was important, not just how my guitar sounded or how well I sang. One needs to not only feel comfortable in front of an audience, but as you stated, engage them. The audience that is involved in the show, that sees there is more than just a musician, usually is more appreciative (and sometimes they even tip better )

Sounds like you are doing the total package route, a very tough row to hoe. Good luck!!
        _"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminant period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Comment

I smiled when I read your post daddymack, and I agree with you 100%!

Comment

Originally posted by gtrdave
            I don't rate myself as a player.

I just play and I continue to learn and, hopefully, improve.
            In that case I'm a chord chopper with 30 years experience.

You're a great player and you've got a great voice. Don't go misleading these folks with your humility...

Comment

Maybe 5 on a scale of 1 to 10.
              I can hang with most styles, most chords, and solo semi-competantly, but I can't read music anymore, except the chords.
              I can git down on an acoustic pretty well. Lots of church experience, and some picking and grinning stuff. Blues is what I play the most lately, and I'm working on it.....getting better, I hope.

Comment

I........... RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, whatever.....
                I think I've reached the point where all I really care about is serving the music. I know I get obnoxious at times but it's usually in an attempt to create a feel....a sense of something going on.
                I don't worry at all about falling down. Most of what I would consider to be a failure still sounds like a guitar player who knows what he's doing to the average listener.
                I don't worry about the details anymore. I just want to play.

And I really LIKE playing with other guitar players no matter how good they might be. I'll try to find the place where I can best support what's going down.
                My experience has been that many of the competitive players won't do this and I will often choose the supporting role to round the whole thing out and they will take advantage of it.

There are a lot of good lead players out there who suck at rhythm. I think I'm pretty good at both.
                But the learning curve is HUGE and there is always more to know and understand no matter who you are.

Ain't Music Fun??

Comment

Originally posted by koiwoi
                  In that case I'm a chord chopper with 30 years experience.

You're a great player and you've got a great voice. Don't go misleading these folks with your humility...

Hopefully, no one is being misled by anyone's self-ratings. Like someone said above, rating yourself is not an appropriate activity for a player - even if you're the best player in the world, nobody wants to hear you say it. Just play, and let someone else do the evaluation.

Also, Norsegod's post reminded me of something I thought I heard B.B. King say on tv; "I don't play the chords, somebody else has to play the chords." It maded me think, I don't remember him playing chords. Most of the time, he'll sing and then come in with the leads. I'm sure he could play them if he wanted to, but maybe his arrangements don't require it. Any of you blues guys have any insight on that? I haven't listened to him enough to say for sure, and I might have misinterpreted what I heard.

Obviously, B.B. has the stature to specialize if he so chooses.

Old is the new new.

-Dorothy Parker

Comment

Originally posted by Norsegod

And I really LIKE playing with other guitar players no matter how good they might be. I'll try to find the place where I can best support what's going down.
                    My experience has been that many of the competitive players won't do this and I will often choose the supporting role to round the whole thing out and they will take advantage of it.

Right on with that observation.

I'm with you too on playing with other guitar players...It's just more fun (especially when something cool happens).

Comment

Back around 1980, I was playing in a country bar and some slightly drunk woman in her late 40's came up to me and started telling me how much she liked my playing. Then she told me her husband and their only child had been killed in a car accident, and she felt she had nothing left to live for. She said the only thing in life that gave her any pleasure was listening to a good country band, and went on and on about how much she was enjoying the band I was playing with.

I consider that gig the most importand one I ever played in my life. I probably only made 40 bucks, but in a very real way I touched that woman, and for that one night, helped take away her pain and made a difference in her life.

This is what being a musician is all about. Not knowing 10,000 chords, or being able to play a million notes a second.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;When I gave food to the poor, they called me a saint. When I asked why the poor were hungry, they called me a communist.&quot; - Mother Teresa.<br />
                      <br />
                      &quot;If fascism ever comes to America, it will come wrapped in the American flag and carrying the cross of Jesus&quot;- Sinclair Lewis. <br />
                      <br />
                      'Ketchup is a vegetable&quot; - Ronald Reagan.<br />
                      <br />
                      &quot;Let's all hope Olbermann gets put in the hospital for something serious fairly soon&quot; - G.Z. Sound<br />
                      +++++<br />
                      <a href="http://www.perlowinmusic.com" target="_blank">My web site</a></div>

Comment

I would like to at least get to the "Chord Chopper" level. I got a Guitar last X-mas, so I've had it for a year. I can't play worth a darn. I can hack through some tabs, but I'm thinking to be a good player, one has to have long(er) fingers then me. My fingers are physically unable to reach the strings to create notes in the books I have. My pinky finger seems to be the most difficult to reach notes, as it's 2 1/8 inches long.

I hope lessons could help.
                        Any Guitar Instructors recommended in the Seattle area? More specifically, the Eastside of Seattle. But then $$ could pose a problem.

Maybe if there was a "Get together" were a bunch of folks gather for a weeklie "jam" session or something like that in my area, I could pick up some tips and such. The Guitar has been my instrument of choice to play and have fun with, keyword "FUN", but maybe I may need to change that hope.

Thanx,

-ZX

Comment

Matt, you just need to practice, though lessons and jamming are great ideas, too. I don't think my pinky is any longer than yours, but it does what I tell it.

Old is the new new.

-Dorothy Parker

Comment

Originally posted by Timezarrow
                            Also, Norsegod's post reminded me of something I thought I heard B.B. King say on tv; "I don't play the chords, somebody else has to play the chords." It maded me think, I don't remember him playing chords. Most of the time, he'll sing and then come in with the leads. I'm sure he could play them if he wanted to, but maybe his arrangements don't require it. Any of you blues guys have any insight on that? I haven't listened to him enough to say for sure, and I might have misinterpreted what I heard.

Obviously, B.B. has the stature to specialize if he so chooses.

I've seen B.B. maybe 7-8 times. He has a guy with him now that I think has been in the band for quite some time. The last time I saw him (3 years ago) he referred to the rhythm player as a "much better guitar player than myself". While that's debatable on many levels, the guy was a fine player. His few leads leaned closer to jazz than blues and his comping was fairly involved, very smooth.
                            It was actually one of the better shows I've seen.
                            B.B. came out standing and played one tune and then announced that he was going to sit down because he was old and felt that he'd earned it. The rest of the band sat down in chairs around him and I was thinking I was going to see a show that would represent his decline.
                            They were awesome, it was laid back at times and very intimate but overall they played like they meant it and were really enjoying themselves.

If you are doing the blues call and response thing it's way easier to sing and not comp at all, at least for me, and then toss out a fill or lead.
                            I'm sure B.B. knows some chords but I don't think he would knock anyone out with his command of chord theory. In interviews he always downplays his guitar musicianship. He seems to hit the right notes often enough, for my tastes anyways.

Comment

If you listen to his earlier material from the '50s, he is chording. But he has pretty much been more into those stinging lead notes and his vocal work since the '60s.

He has earned the right to sit, but is more about his diabetes than old age. Standing or sitting, he is one hell of an entertainer!
                              _"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminant period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Comment

Working...
                              X