Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you rate your playing skill level?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know four chords, and I can play them in a row. I know a blues scale. On a svale of 1-10 I give myself a -12!
    Have you checked the chicken?

>---

Comment

I know what I'm doing. I've been playing 28 years and do it for a living.
      Check out my band QUAH:
      http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/quahmusic.htm

Comment

Stringman nailed the answer to this one for me....

But!

I'm definately getting better.

If only it didn't take SO much time and effort. Perhaps steroids would help?

MQTA

Comment

Originally posted by Stringman
          It's not how fast you can play, or how many different chords you know. It's about capturing the poetry of the music and playing with feeling and touching people's souls.

When you can make somebody laugh or cry, or send a chill down their spines, or give them goose bumps, you've arrived.

Too true, Stringman...but may I add that there are some other things that also tell you that you are on the right track...

When other musicians whose playing ability you respect show you that same level of respect...

When pros come and ask to sit in with you...

When pros come and ask you to sit in with them...

I personally still consider myself a 'hack' guitarist. I do not learn things by rote, note-for-note, exactly like the record. I absorb, I experiment, I twist, I tweak...I'm lazy about practicing, since I don't want things to be 'automatic'. It really is, to me, about playing with feeling, and if the notes flow from the creative side of your brain...there is feeling; if they come from the logical side, it is just 'technique'...hard to tell at times...there is, obviously a balance between the two...

I do not ever expect or intend to achieve the skill level of Di Meola, Holdsworth, Howe, Eric Johnson, Vai, Christian, Burrell, Atkins, etc. What I do want is for people who hear me play to say"...hmmm...I can't put my finger on it exactly, but this guy's good!" and every now and then, that happens.
          "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

I probably rate as a "chord chopper", although I'm more of a finger picker. In my eyes, I'm not real good but a hell of a lot better than I gave myself credit for having the potential to when I first started out. I'm not necessarily a note for note guy...I generally play what I hear and sometimes what I feel if I like that better. I've never been able to settle on one hobby, let alone one instrument, long and exclusively enough to get real good.

Never played in a band, not that I haven't tried, but since I started playing in my 30's, it's always been hard to find people that are on a similar skill level that are interested in playing in a band. Most guys my age that are interested in playing in a band have been playing a lot longer than I. Consequently, I'm a one man band...I do some recordings by myself and play all the instruments, however badly...drums, keys, guitars and bass and occasionally mandoin.....all for my ears only however, until I do one that I think is worthy of other ears.
            Thanks, and rock on!

Comment

I must fall into the middle of your scale somewhere, but I'm not working my way up it. Like some of the above responders, I have other skills and objectives than those mentioned.

While I respect your "purist to the core" type players, I have no interest in becoming one or going to hear them play. To be able to play records note-for-note can be a an impressive technical accomplishment. It is also one that can be employed easily to make money playing covers. For many people, that is what they want and expect from their local musicians: a living, full-volume juke box with stage presence. And for many players, satisfying that expectation is the reason they became musicians. It can get you plenty af adulation, plenty of chicks.

However, the people who inspired me to be a musician are the ones who wrote the notes they are playing, or who created the hot solos spontaneously, alive in the musical moment and vulnerable to the emotional environment. I don't think I become more like those people by playing what they played, but by creating in the manner they created.

But that's just me, and I never aspired to be a player, an empty vessel waiting to be filled with notes by a composer - drawing from music written or heard. I have aspired to be a musician, an empty vessel waiting to be filled with notes by the Muse - drawing from the music that arrives from nowhere to be realized in a song I'm writing or a solo I'm improvising.

Some people may go from years of learning by rote to writing great original songs and creating great original solos, but I always felt that you work on what you want to develop, and the creative side is where I want to grow. In the course of that, I have acquired sufficient technique to play pretty much what I want.

If you want to be a scribe, you practice copying out books already written and work on your letter formation until you get it perfect. If you want to write novels, you don't memorize Nabokov until you can regurgitate it on demand, word for word. You write your own stories, while reading and studying the authors you wish to emulate. Your stories may never be as good as those you could have copied, but they are your own.

Scribes were once highly valued providers of an essential service, before the invention of moveable type.

To each, his own.

No offense intended, but (see above) . . .

Old is the new new.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
              -Dorothy Parker

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack
                What I do want is for people who hear me play to say"...hmmm...I can't put my finger on it exactly, but this guy's good!" and every now and then, that happens.

DM, it's because you move them emotionally, which is what I talked about earlier. Having heard you play a couple of times, I'd say you've arrived. The reaction you get when you play confirms it.
                "When I gave food to the poor, they called me a saint. When I asked why the poor were hungry, they called me a communist." - Mother Teresa.

"If fascism ever comes to America, it will come wrapped in the American flag and carrying the cross of Jesus"- Sinclair Lewis.

'Ketchup is a vegetable" - Ronald Reagan.

"Let's all hope Olbermann gets put in the hospital for something serious fairly soon" - G.Z. Sound
                +++++
                My web site

Comment

I don't rate myself as a player.

I just play and I continue to learn and, hopefully, improve.
                  My name is Dave and I play guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Stringman
                    DM, it's because you move them emotionally, which is what I talked about earlier. Having heard you play a couple of times, I'd say you've arrived. The reaction you get when you play confirms it.

Thanks, Stringman! Having sat somewhat dumbstruck listening to your WSS CD, I have to say the same about you as well!

In my case, I guess drunks retching in the back of the club qualifies as an emotional response then?

I also agree with what gtrdave said. Rating one's own level of competency is really not a valid exercise for a musician.

Playing is not supposed to be 'competitive', it is supposed to be an artistic outlet. One should not worry about how one's art is perceived by others, but revel in the joy of creation, improvement, stylistic development...

Anything you do that is designed to impress others, and not satisfy your own needs is, in reality, a shallow, hollow endeavor.

Ars gratia artis... Art for art's sake....the Romans understood it thousands of years ago. I get somewhat pained at jam sessions when some one suggests that so-and-so kicked Joe Blow's ass on stage...what is that all about?
                    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

I agree it is a somewhat fruitless exercise to rate ones own abilities as a musician. Personally, I've been having a blast playing music for 40 years of my life in all types of bands and situations. I'll never be Steve Howe or EVH, but I have a lot of fun grabbing a little of their styles. I've never been inclined to learn solos note for note, with the exception of Yours is no Disgrace and Sultans of Swing.

I don't read music on guitar, although I can read music. I learned by "ear" and it has served me well enough for the types of music and groups I have played with.

Jamming is one of the greatest communications in life, and I feel comfortable in most situations with all levels of players. It is all good.

Bottom line, I'll never be a shredder, but can play clean melodic and fast and I know how to comp. Music shouldn't be a competitive sport, rather when it is good, it can be as good as sex.
                      Geezer Brigade #28...

Strings, Wires, Paper, Wood, Steel, Plastic, Ebony, Glass, Metal, Mesh Fingers, Arms, Legs, Lungs, Brain. TIme.

Moogletyshmorpfh

Comment

Hey, gtrDave. welcome back. Where have you been hiding?
                        "When I gave food to the poor, they called me a saint. When I asked why the poor were hungry, they called me a communist." - Mother Teresa.

"If fascism ever comes to America, it will come wrapped in the American flag and carrying the cross of Jesus"- Sinclair Lewis.

'Ketchup is a vegetable" - Ronald Reagan.

"Let's all hope Olbermann gets put in the hospital for something serious fairly soon" - G.Z. Sound
                        +++++
                        My web site

Comment

Intermediate.
                          Originally Posted by BarneyGumbel

There is a guy at our office who's colon must take a sharp turn towards his back at the exit point. Every time he has used the bathroom, whatever toilet he used is unusable for the rest of the day. It looks like someone filled a 10-gallon bucket with sloppy mud, took 8 steps back, and threw the contents of the bucket in the direction of the toilet. To cap things off, he ALWAYS leaves the lid up, maybe to showcase the damage. Unbelievable.

Six Months Gone
                          The Open Jam

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack
                            I also agree with what gtrdave said. Rating one's own level of competency is really not a valid exercise for a musician.

Playing is not supposed to be 'competitive', it is supposed to be an artistic outlet. One should not worry about how one's art is perceived by others, but revel in the joy of creation, improvement, stylistic development...

Anything you do that is designed to impress others, and not satisfy your own needs is, in reality, a shallow, hollow endeavor.

Ars gratia artis... Art for art's sake....the Romans understood it thousands of years ago. I get somewhat pained at jam sessions when some one suggests that so-and-so kicked Joe Blow's ass on stage...what is that all about?

I think you can "rate" your competency, but it will be a private rating against your own scale (and not necessarily against other players). This could be valuable in determining whether you are progressing toward your goals, but maybe more useful to less experienced players than those who have already found their niche. If you've been playing awhile, you are more or less aware of what you can and can't do - and if you haven't already acquired a technique, you probably don't think you need it.

As for the "he kicked his ass" scenario, it's a product of this competition oriented society. Art is easier to understand if you can reduce it to the level of a boxing match. The thing is, I think many musicians buy into this. If there are two guitarists on stage, there's got to be a winner and a loser.

In reality, music is created by cooperation, not competition, and nobody loses as long as they keep playing.

No offense intended, but (see above) . . .

Old is the new new.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
                            -Dorothy Parker

Comment

How do I do it when I'm a drummer? Can I say it like from 1 - 10?
                              Then I guess I would be like 6 or something......
                              I have a tomato...

Comment

If i had to rate myself I would usually say that I am a total hack. However 1
                                ------------------------------------------------
                                My Gear:
                                Lakland Skyline 44-01

Alvarez AJ60SC Acoustic
                                Godin LGT (w/custom pups)
                                Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
                                Jackson Randy Rhodes '93 Concept Edition Flying V
                                Crate CA60D acoustic series amp
                                Digitech RP 100

Comment

Working...
                                X