Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Songs NOBODY else could ever do justice to??

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Songs NOBODY else could ever do justice to??

I was thinking about this today..while listening to "Let It Be" (by the Beatles of course), and I don't imagine that anybody could ever cover that song and do it justice.

Of course, I used to feel that way about "Bridge Over Troubled Water"....I think just about everybody has covered that one and never done it justice....until I heard the Aretha Franklin version
    Thanks, and rock on!

Something that just poped into my head.
    Details are fuzzy. Her name was ?Judy? Collins and it was about whales. Whale song???
    Someone help me out here. "Whales and Nightingales" is tickling a neuron.
    I don't think anyone else even could that.
    Ibanez Benson archtop
    Martin J40 M
    American Deluxe Strat
    Fender Jazz bass
    Yamaha 12 string
    bunch of old guitars in the barn.

Allright, let's go see what's around the next bend. I'm getting too old for this ****************.

Comment

YES. I still have a brain. I just looked it up. Judy Collins, Whales and nightingales.
      Oh Gawd I feel some wicked smat right about now.

So, nobody ever heard of it eh?

Neevveerr mmiinndd

Ya, Urethra Franklin was pretty good too.
      Ibanez Benson archtop
      Martin J40 M
      American Deluxe Strat
      Fender Jazz bass
      Yamaha 12 string
      bunch of old guitars in the barn.

Allright, let's go see what's around the next bend. I'm getting too old for this ****************.

Comment

Originally posted by Nelson
        YES. I still have a brain. I just looked it up. Judy Collins, Whales and nightingales.

Neevveerr mmiinndd

I don't know that I am familiar with that song, but it doesn't surprise me to think that nobody could sing it like Judy Collins....she has the most gorgeous voice!
        Thanks, and rock on!

Comment

Originally posted by Nelson

Neevveerr mmiinndd

My dad was a Judy Collins fan so I grew up hearing her quite a bit. And yes, I remember Whales and Nightingales. Could anyone else cover it ? Meh, I don't know.
          Originally Posted by Dew Knot Hump

Those guitars are uglier than Rosie O'Donnells ass-crack and the amp is like this forum, too many knobs.

Comment

Originally posted by braif
            "Bridge Over Troubled Water"....I think just about everybody has covered that one and never done it justice..

There was a pedal steel player/session man, now deceased, named Harold Lee Chalker, nicknamed Curly. who recorded an instrumental version of the song that would give you goosebumps if you heard it. Unfortunately the record is long since out of print. BTW Chalker played on Simon And Garfunkle's record "The Boxer."

Chalker died about 5 years ago, but in pedal steel circles he is revered as one of the greatest players in the entire history of the instrument.
            "When I gave food to the poor, they called me a saint. When I asked why the poor were hungry, they called me a communist." - Mother Teresa.

"If fascism ever comes to America, it will come wrapped in the American flag and carrying the cross of Jesus"- Sinclair Lewis.

'Ketchup is a vegetable" - Ronald Reagan.

"Let's all hope Olbermann gets put in the hospital for something serious fairly soon" - G.Z. Sound
            +++++
            My web site

Comment

I think Hotel California falls into this category. Especially now that there is an Eagles interpretation of the original as well.

I've heard lots of bands play it and none captured the mojo of the Eagles version.

Comment

I think we need a thread on songs that shouldn't have ever been covered...maybe...
                "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
                "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack
                  I think we need a thread on songs that shouldn't have ever been covered...maybe...
                  How about anything that Rod Stewart has covered...

Comment

well, Kowoi, I was actually thinking of things like Bohemian Rhapsody, Stairway to Heaven, Tommy, The Wall, Shock the Monkey, Addicted to Love.....songs that you will not improve upon by interpreting, songs that the definitive version was done by the original Artist...
                    but yeah, covering Rod Stewart covers is right up there...
                    although I used to do a great version of 'Hot Legs' and 'Stay with Me' in my R&R days...
                    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
                    "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

Anyone remember the disco version of Stairway to Heaven?

Truly painful.
                      I find it pretty amusing that people have a nostalgic affection for disco. It was the first shift in music that I truly hated. I still have a knee jerk reaction when I here it.

Comment

Originally posted by Norsegod
                        Anyone remember the disco version of Stairway to Heaven?

Truly painful.
                        I find it pretty amusing that people have a nostalgic affection for disco. It was the first shift in music that I truly hated. I still have a knee jerk reaction when I here it.

You know, what I hate is that the 70's seem to be identified with disco - like that was all that came out during the decade. An incredible amount of great music and many of my favorite bands came out during the seventies.

Disco was a pop trend. Underground and AOR radio were going strong. Bands like Yes, Jethro Tull, Genesis, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Led Zeppelin, Wings, Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna, the Allman Brothers, and many more (I'm only scratching the surface), including all kinds of blues rock bands, were in their prime. Of course, those were my late teen and early twenties years, so they are special to me.

None of those people suddenly became disco. The Bee Gees, who needed a new direction, were the only established band I know of who went disco, though there could be more.
                        No offense intended, but (see above) . . .

Old is the new new.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
                        -Dorothy Parker

Comment

Thanks for mentioning Hot Tuna!

Comment

Originally posted by koiwoi
                            How about anything that Rod Stewart has covered...

Yeah pretty much anything Rod has ever done shouldn't have been done. Except maybe some early stuff. I don't remember what the Small Faces were like, but he did some stuff with Jeff Beck that was ok.
                            No offense intended, but (see above) . . .

Old is the new new.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
                            -Dorothy Parker

Comment

The Outlaws' "Green Grass and High Tides"

Comment

Working...
                              X