Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Jay Turser JT200 the best LP copy under $400?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Jay Turser JT200 the best LP copy under $400?

I am looking for a good Les Paul copy and only want to spend about $400. I have searched on these forums but they are either recommending guitars that cost much more than that (ie Heritage) or they are guitars I can't buy from an online distributer such as Music123.com. I see that JT200 was voted best value buy Guitar Player last year. Are there any other LP copies under $400 that I should look at? I know its asking a lot but I would like for it to have a setneck too.

Head over to EG. There's a 190 page thread on Agiles. I own 5 of them (different models)

BTW I don't think the Turser is a mohagany body.

Comment

Set neck DeArmonds. Normally around $300 or so, even NOS. Well built and excellent US made Gold Tone pickups.
      Dexter fans, check out The DexterCast podcast on iTunes or www.thedextercast.com. Two hosts have seen Dexter, two are watching for the first time.

Comment

There's a guy in Richmond (VA) that imports good quality stuff. He does a complete setup before shipping.

www.guitarworksinc.com
        Originally Posted by SwampMusic

Never underestimate the perversity of inanimate objects. Their sole purpose is to confound, confuse and generally frustrate the living.

Comment

Check out the Samick Avion series. I love my AV-3.
          The world is quiet here.

Comment

To me, if it hasn't got a set neck it's not a Les Paul or a copy thereof. I played a Epiphone Heritage Les Paul Standard sometime ago. It was used and my friend bought it for $300.
            Excellent guitar for the money. I think the Heritage line
            was made in Czechia.

talk is cheap

Not my band's site www.jubie.se

Comment

This VEGA LP on E-bay :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=37768311 96&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

is probably better than the Jay Turser. It looks like the body is carved from a single piece of mahogany.

I have a strat made by the same guy, and it is a truly ouitstanding instrument and one of the best in my collection. If I could only have 1 guitar, I'd have to choose my '68 tele. My vega strat is one of several that are tied for #2.

The name "Vega" has passed though different people. This guitar was made in the late 80's by a man named Peter Jung (That's probably misspelled) who bought the company from Martin, but only owned it for 2 years before selling it.

BTW, Jay Turser does not have a booth at NAMM this year. I don't know if this means they simply decided to stay home, or are going out of business.
              "When I gave food to the poor, they called me a saint. When I asked why the poor were hungry, they called me a communist." - Mother Teresa.

"If fascism ever comes to America, it will come wrapped in the American flag and carrying the cross of Jesus"- Sinclair Lewis.

'Ketchup is a vegetable" - Ronald Reagan.

"Let's all hope Olbermann gets put in the hospital for something serious fairly soon" - G.Z. Sound
              +++++
              My web site

Comment

I was impressed with the Turser's but I prefer the AGILE's.
                Click here for BEN'S TOWER
                Click here for LUCKY IRISH
                Click here for ROCK HOP
                Click Here for my "Super-Grip" Knobs
                Click Here for my "Super-Speed" Knobs
                Click Here for my 9V, 500ma Regulated Power Supplies
                Click Here for my Custom 10ft IEC Power Cables

"RIGHT YOU ARE KEN !!!"

TIMMMAAAYYY!!!

Soldano HR-100XL+
                Marshall LEAD MOSFET 100W head
                Marshall VS-65R x 2

Comment

Jay Turser IS there, but they are listed under the name of a parent company, so the name Jay Turser does not appear in the directory.

I'll check out thoer booth today.

I saw some REALLY nice guitars. I haven't bought any so far, but its not over yet.
                  "When I gave food to the poor, they called me a saint. When I asked why the poor were hungry, they called me a communist." - Mother Teresa.

"If fascism ever comes to America, it will come wrapped in the American flag and carrying the cross of Jesus"- Sinclair Lewis.

"Let's all hope Olbermann gets put in the hospital for something serious fairly soon" - G.Z. Sound
                  +++++
                  My web site

Comment

Ask about a Turser, and the standard answer seems to be: buy this, or buy that, apparently anything besides the Turser.

With regards to Jay turser models, they don't all come from the same manufacturer, so I don't really doubt that some are better or worse than others of the same brand.

My personal experience with Turser guitars is a positive one. I bought a JT141 'Monterey' jazz archtop something over a year ago, and was very happy with it overall. It was a very good guitar for the money, and nobody can tell me otherwise, after all, I owned it, I played it, and I liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfun
                      Ask about a Turser, and the standard answer seems to be: buy this, or buy that, apparently anything besides the Turser.

With regards to Jay turser models, they don't all come from the same manufacturer, so I don't really doubt that some are better or worse than others of the same brand.

My personal experience with Turser guitars is a positive one. I bought a JT141 'Monterey' jazz archtop something over a year ago, and was very happy with it overall. It was a very good guitar for the money, and nobody can tell me otherwise, after all, I owned it, I played it, and I liked it.

I would agree with you, but I'm still mad at you about those big inauguration parties!

Well, that, and I know nothing about Tursers.

But people will recommend the stuff they have and like. If it works for you, that's all that counts. This is a very subjective subject.
                      No offense intended, but (see above) . . .

Old is the new new.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
                      -Dorothy Parker

Comment

Turser makes a solid body resonator (sort of a National Resophonic knock-off) with a mini humbucker that I really want but nobody around here has one for me to try out.

Never underestimate the perversity of inanimate objects. Their sole purpose is to confound, confuse and generally frustrate the living.

Comment

Not to knock Jay Tursers, but I saw DOZENS of Asian guitar companies at NAMM that made instruments that were just as good or better.

One in particular, called VENSON cought my attention. The rep claimed they made the best guitars in all of Korea, and judging from what I saw, he may be right. I almost bought one of their guitars, but I opted for a mandolin instead. (See my other thread, "my mandolin died.") The mandolin cost a grand total of $100, and is made of solid mahogany. You can see the cross section of the wood through the F holes, and it is solid, NOT a laminate.

I brought the mandolin to the Gibson booth, and the guy there said it was better than than their $300 Epiphone.

I love NAMM.

+++++
                          My web site

Comment

I should have listened to your advice and waited, but nooooo I had to have a mando right then.

Nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by Stringman

BTW, Jay Turser does not have a booth at NAMM this year. I don't know if this means they simply decided to stay home, or are going out of business.

Yes they did!
                              Near the Hal Leonard section (yeah, but my publisher wanted to meet me there, and he is distributed by HL, otherwise I would not have gone there either...), right by the doors...I tried some of the axes out, actually the best one was their a/e resonator... very nicely done...nicer than I expected, very similar to the Brownsville...and their jazz box was at least...playable...

Stringman, how many cheapies did you pick up with undressed frets? Man, the Chinese make them to look good...but they do not understand playability!
                              "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

Working...
                              X