Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a wus. I never haggle

Comment

Originally posted by Honor
      I go into Daddy's looking to buy a new tuner and a strap and couple sets of strings. I also inquire about servicing that GK amp I just got (has a hum). I tell the guy that it's my first time in his store and I usually shop at 2 other stores. Both of which are only 5 min away from his store. He spends time telling me how much better shopping with him is than them.

I go to check out and my total is about $70, I say to him how about cutting me a small discount on the price (5%) he looks at me like I'am crazy and says NO! He then tells me if I want to buy a $20 discount card then he can give me 5% off on some of the iteams.

I have shopped at many different music stores both big box and private onership and this is the first time they didn't knock off at least 5% to make the customer happy. I mean that's how a music store works.

I told him to keep his strap and all but one set of strings. (I didn't have time to go anywhere else or I would have not bought anything) End result I spent $30 and he gained a smaller sale with no discount, but lost me ever going into his store (or any Daddy's) ever again.

Sounds to me like you walked in the store...told them that your new and mentioned the OTHER two stores that you shop at near by as some kind of leverage. That reaks of "pitch".

Daddy's is THE PLACE to buy USED gear. They are just about the cheapest place around. That and they have a NO HASSLE return policey.

Not shopping there hurts YOU not them.

Comment

Not to argue, but in fact the small stuff is where they have the largest gross margin. If any product can be price played it's the accessories. So to give a small discount is no big deal, and they do it in hopes that you will then shop there to buy your bigger ticket needs.

Not when I worked at Sam Ash it wasn't. There's very little, if any, room to move on the small stuff.
        "...the plumber he says, never flush a tampoon."

www.myspace.com/whotributect
        www.myspace.com/purpletribute

Comment

I cant believe you paid 20.00 for A set of strings

Comment

Originally posted by Give it a pull
            I cant believe you paid 20.00 for A set of strings

Psssst....

I think they were bass strings

my gear
            some crap
            some spare crap in case my regular crap breaks
            HCGB Trooper #252 On permanant KP

Comment

Originally posted by Burningleaves

Sounds to me like you walked in the store...told them that your new and mentioned the OTHER two stores that you shop at near by as some kind of leverage. That reaks of "pitch".

Daddy's is THE PLACE to buy USED gear. They are just about the cheapest place around. That and they have a NO HASSLE return policey.

Not shopping there hurts YOU not them.

Well I should have qualified that with the fact that he first asked me if I had shopped there before. I didn't just out of the blue bring it up.
              I'd like to be your friend, but you keep locking me out of your house.

Comment

A local GC really hated seeing me walk in, cuz' I went through a dozen pedals in a month to find what I was looking for, taking advantage of their return policy. When I finally found the right pedal, I bought the same thing used on ebay for half the price. lol.

Comment

Wow, I'am stunned

That's a position you seem to find yourself in quite often, Eh?

Comment

Before ProSound closed their SE Denver location I was in there about every week snoopin around the guits and stuff since they were like 1/2 mile from the house. Knew all the sales people by name and hung out with the service guys talkin shop and pryin ideas and stuff out of 'em. I didn't make many purchases, but when I did I always got a "little something" off since they knew me.

Now the closest shop is GC on Co. Blvd.

I hate that place.
                    "Value this time in your life kids, because this is the time in your life when you still have your choices, and it goes by so quickly. When you're a teenager you think you can do anything, and you do. Your twenties are a blur. Your thirties, you raise your family, you make a little money and you think to yourself, "What happened to my twenties?" Your forties, you grow a little pot belly you grow another chin. The music starts to get too loud and one of your old girlfriends from high school becomes a grandmother. Your fifties you have a minor surgery. You'll call it a procedure, but it's a surgery. Your sixties you have a major surgery, the music is still loud but it doesn't matter because you can't hear it anyway. Seventies, you and the wife retire to Fort Lauderdale, you start eating dinner at two, lunch around ten, breakfast the night before. And you spend most of your time wandering around malls looking for the ultimate in soft yogurt and muttering "how come the kids don't call?" By your eighties, you've had a major stroke, and you end up babbling to some Jamaican nurse who your wife can't stand but who you call mama. Any questions?"

HCSAC General

HCGB Trooper #93-1/3

SG Army - Semi-private

Comment

Well I should have qualified that with the fact that he first asked me if I had shopped there before. I didn't just out of the blue bring it up.

Oh oK. Never mind that part of my comment then.

Comment

I do all of my buying online these days. Even bought my AC30 online and the customer service was OUTSTANDING.

When I first got back in the music biz in 1990, I had no gear, and outfitted myself from the bottom up from a local Guitar Center that is no longer in business, and a small local store called MOZE.

I dropped a lotta money in both stores, and got to know the guys who worked there really well. After they got to know me as a regular customer, they always gave me good deals on stuff.

One day GC moved to another location that was actually closer to my house. Actually, not so cool. NONE of the sales guys I knew from the old store worked there. There was a whole new group of young dip**************** sales people who didn't know me from adam. I went in a couple of times to look at pedals and stuff, hated the way I was treated, and very soon I vowed to never return... and I haven't. **************** 'em

Then my buddies from Moze moved from their funky little shop to a more upscale location (also closer to my home). The guys are the same, and I still love 'em dearly, but I don't get over to see them that much since I am dialed in to online vendors. I'll still go see them now and then for a repair, but I even have a different shop for repairs now. *shrugs* oh, well

Comment

Support your local guitar shops!

orders bulk strings from MF
                          GB #270 in perpetuity

That's what's so great about the Internet:
                          It enables pompous blowhards like myself,
                          to connect with other pompous blowhards
                          in a vast circle jerk of pomposity.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcy Lord
                            I kind of thought discounts were for customers who are regulars, not newbies?...they give a break to those who show them their loyalty and not just some tom jones who struts in off the street...

he also might have thought you were playing him off the other stores, trying to squeeze him...that can be annoying to anyone...it's like: here's a new customer who is already high 'maintanance' and he's just starting off! damn...

could have been he's having a hard time, or a bad day...

retail is hard with everyone wanting something extra for nothing like it is a right...

like, when I asked daddymack for some lube gratis with my yellow dildo purchase, he immediately spit in my face...it was like he enjoyed it...not what I had in mind
                            Matisse has the best signature!

Originally Posted by Chthonic

*tags men's bathroom with tampon and sharpie*

Originally Posted by Chthonic

You sex on wheels man****************

Listen to--->The Sneaky Dance

Comment

Working...
                            X