HCGB Trooper #252 On permanant KP

Originally posted by Cap
    Stick weld

19 year old guy that wants to be a "Harbor Monkey"

I showed him how to flat, Horz, and downhill 6011 and he picked it right up

Just so he didn't get too cocky I had him try to downhill 7018

Heh heh heh

Next week I think I'll teach him how to dive

Welding is IMHO, more of an art than a skill. Some people take to it right away, some never really get the knack. I can barely lay a bead on aluminum, but I worked with guys in aerospace who could weld steel to brass...supposedly an impossibility back in the day.
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
    "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

Comment

tryin to fill up those vacant crew spots huh..

hope he works out and it means less work for you man

Comment

time well spent!-----------wheres the case of beer story?
          Don't take me seriously,unless you're offended....................bitch!Don't frickin' worry about it!.....its a "catch&release"plan

Comment

Ahhhhhh, 6011's and a Lincoln buzzbox. Spent many a day in ag shop and on the farm getting the old flash tan........ It's a good skill to develop IMO............

Comment

My Dad was a sheet metal worker in the Public Works dept. at the Naval Academy. When I was a kid I'd go to work with him sometimes when I was off school. I could watch him weld for hours. He was never satisfied with his stick welding (although it was perfectly good), but what he was really an expert at was gas welding and brazing. I really loved watching him use that torch. Beautiful work.

Walking through the galley in the mess hall, I could see acres and acres of gleaming stainless steel ramps, counters, and other food-handling surfaces, all custom designed, fabricated, and installed by him.

Comment

My wife was a good welder, stick and gas, in her time. Damn good silversmith too. specializing in overlays.
                NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

Originally posted by Smilin' Bob
                  My wife was a good welder, stick and gas, in her time. Damn good silversmith too. specializing in overlays.

What type of job was she in Bob?
                  Originally Posted by BlueStrat
                  You, on the other hand, are like the third ex wife I never had!

Originally posted by daddymack
                  After reading this thread numerous times, I am now becoming convinced that based on the life I have led so far, that I will wind up in Raleigh, NC when I die, for all eternity...

Comment

Originally posted by ShesGotVerve

What type of job was she in Bob?

Back in the 70's, the Feds implemented some equal opportunity programs for women that filtered down to the states. They offered subsidies to outfits that would train women in the trades, and, liberated soul that she was (is), she signed up.

Ah, she sez, I always thought welding would be cool. So she shows up at this shop in Reno that fabricated big rig trailers and applied for a job. She was met with shock and disbelief by the owner, but upon being informed that hiring her in the subsidized program would cost him little or nothing, he took her on.

She was a blond, stacked hippy girl, 5''5", 130 pounds with boots on. The guys in the shop either ignored or harrassed her. She had trouble managing big pieces of steel by herself (no one offered to help and she wouldn't ask). However, they were bound by the program contract to train her to weld, and through instruction and observation she got good at it - even heli-arc. She came home every night emotionally and physically exhausted, but she kept on until she she pretty much learned the ropes and then quit.

Couldn't find another welding job, but got one in a cowboy belt buckle factory (you know, big silver engraved dinner-plate sized things), starting out on the buffer, and then doing some piercing and overlay. Never did get into engraving. Then she started doing silver work herself, became really good at it (a set of her buttons was picked by the Renwick Gallery, Smithsonian Institution to represent Nevada crafts at the 1976 Bicentennial - 2 pieces from each state were chosen).

She had a several month gig in the East Bay Regional Park system (Oakland, CA) where she did quite a bit of welding. Some of her gates may still be in use up there.

She is a formidible person who if she decides she is going to do something, does it. She taught herself to read guitar music and become a fair classical guitarist in a few months, and is now becoming a good congera.
                    NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

Comment

Bob, your wife has MOXIE!!!!

After reading this thread numerous times, I am now becoming convinced that based on the life I have led so far, that I will wind up in Raleigh, NC when I die, for all eternity...

Comment

Originally posted by ShesGotVerve
                        Bob, your wife has MOXIE!!!!

Yep, she's the very definition! Lucky me!

Comment

Cool. Can she fix cars too?

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey
                            Cool. Can she fix cars too?

No doubt she could if she decided to. She doesn't fix cars, sharpen knives, or do any carpentry. I suspect these are areas she leaves to me so I will be able to hold my manly head up.

Comment

Originally posted by Smilin' Bob

No doubt she could if she decided to. She doesn't fix cars, sharpen knives, or do any carpentry. I suspect these are areas she leaves to me so I will be able to hold my manly head up.

She doesn't want to emasculate you.

Comment

Working...
                              X