Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hammerstone Gig in Vegas!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse







X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hammerstone Gig in Vegas!

    Got down to Vegas Thursday afternoon after a very close call on US 95 in which I pulled out to pass a @#$%^& RV and found a car in my lane that I hadn't seen. Could have killed me and several others. Very ashamed and sorry about this - I'm too old to be driving wired, tired and that fast. So lesson learned the hard way, I'll try to extend my ninth and last life by being more careful from now on.

    The conference organizer had secured us a room in the Golden Nugget conference center to store gear and rehearse in, right across from the hall from the banquet room. The four of us amatures ran through a bunch of songs Thursday night and sat around sipping whiskey and talking about music until about 1:30 am. Friday morning I had to give my paper - but not until 110 am, so that was cool. Will and Sherri and Roger the drummer got in on Friday evening and we had a full band rehearsal Friday night until the wee hours.

    Saturday night was the gig, The banquet did not have a speaker, so we went on about 8:30 and played 2 sets. The set list for the first set:

    Pink Caddilac
    Shake Rattle and Roll
    Thunder on the Mountain
    Why don't you do right (sung by Sherri - I had a really good solo on this one )
    Tube Snake Boogie
    Thrill is Gone (my vocal - Billy and me solos)
    Brickhouse
    Drop Down Mama (me on slide, my vocal)
    Johnny Be Good (reggae version)
    The Weight
    Please Mr. Flagman (My song, me on slide, vocals)

    However, we did some other songs too that weren't on the list (Will reads the crowd and calls the songs, and you never know) such as Iko Iko, Imagine, etc..

    Second set included (I don have the list for it):

    I know You Rider
    Sea Cruise
    Fever
    Red Hot
    Things have Changed (my vocal)

    I wore all black: boots, pants, Hammerstone T-shirt, sports coat and flat hat. Women (well, 2 anyway) were smooching on me and telling me I was looking GOOD!

    The crowd was great, people were dancing on evey song, and we had a really good time. The conference organizer for 2008 took us out after the gig and got us signed up for Portland Oregon! We were worried about getting the PA up there - not a problem, she said, we'll rent one if necessary. Well, we said, you could probably get a better band for less money. She said, I doubt it, and it wouldn't have you guys in it - you are the draw - ledgends in your own time. How could we argue with that? Now, if we could just figure out how to get some roadies.... Maybe she'd go for renting a bus to get up there?

    We have about 1.5 hours of not bad video with crappy sound (just using the mic in the camera). I'll to post something when I figure out how to do it.
    NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

    F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

  • #2
    Glad you didn't die on the way to the gig

    Sounds like it went well

    Can't help you the vid posting
    <div class="signaturecontainer">my gear<br />
    some crap<br />
    some spare crap in case my regular crap breaks<br />
    HCGB Trooper #252 On permanant KP <img src="http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/frown.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Frown" class="inlineimg" /></div>

    Comment


    • #3
      Now Bob, you know I dig the hell outa you, but what in the hell is Brickhouse doin'on that list?





      I had no idea you were that kinda slut.


      <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.taylorharveyband.com" target="_blank"><b>The Taylor Harvey Band</b></a><br />
      <br />
      <a href="http://www.myspace.com/taylorharveyband" target="_blank"><b>The THB myspace page</b></a><br />
      <br />
      <img src="http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/wave.gif" border="0" alt="" title="wave" class="inlineimg" /></div>

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by THBv2.0
        Now Bob, you know I dig the hell outa you, but what in the hell is Brickhouse doin'on that list?





        I had no idea you were that kinda slut.




        Wasn't my pick, but it has one chord, always a plus for a band that only plays together every 2 years! The crowd loved it!
        NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

        F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Smilin' Bob


          Wasn't my pick, but it has one chord, always a plus for a band that only plays together every 2 years! The crowd loved it!






          Okay.


          <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.taylorharveyband.com" target="_blank"><b>The Taylor Harvey Band</b></a><br />
          <br />
          <a href="http://www.myspace.com/taylorharveyband" target="_blank"><b>The THB myspace page</b></a><br />
          <br />
          <img src="http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/wave.gif" border="0" alt="" title="wave" class="inlineimg" /></div>

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Smilin' Bob
            Got down to Vegas Thursday afternoon after a very close call on US 95 in which I pulled out to pass a @#$%^& RV and found a car in my lane that I hadn't seen. Could have killed me and several others. Very ashamed and sorry about this - I'm too old to be driving wired, tired and that fast. So lesson learned the hard way, I'll try to extend my ninth and last life by being more careful from now on.

            The conference organizer had secured us a room in the Golden Nugget conference center to store gear and rehearse in, right across from the hall from the banquet room. The four of us amatures ran through a bunch of songs Thursday night and sat around sipping whiskey and talking about music until about 1:30 am. Friday morning I had to give my paper - but not until 110 am, so that was cool. Will and Sherri and Roger the drummer got in on Friday evening and we had a full band rehearsal Friday night until the wee hours.

            Saturday night was the gig, The banquet did not have a speaker, so we went on about 8:30 and played 2 sets. The set list for the first set:

            Pink Caddilac
            Shake Rattle and Roll
            Thunder on the Mountain
            Why don't you do right (sung by Sherri - I had a really good solo on this one )
            Tube Snake Boogie
            Thrill is Gone (my vocal - Billy and me solos)
            Brickhouse
            Drop Down Mama (me on slide, my vocal)
            Johnny Be Good (reggae version)
            The Weight
            Please Mr. Flagman (My song, me on slide, vocals)

            However, we did some other songs too that weren't on the list (Will reads the crowd and calls the songs, and you never know) such as Iko Iko, Imagine, etc..

            Second set included (I don have the list for it):

            I know You Rider
            Sea Cruise
            Fever
            Red Hot
            Things have Changed (my vocal)

            I wore all black: boots, pants, Hammerstone T-shirt, sports coat and flat hat. Women (well, 2 anyway) were smooching on me and telling me I was looking GOOD!

            The crowd was great, people were dancing on evey song, and we had a really good time. The conference organizer for 2008 took us out after the gig and got us signed up for Portland Oregon! We were worried about getting the PA up there - not a problem, she said, we'll rent one if necessary. Well, we said, you could probably get a better band for less money. She said, I doubt it, and it wouldn't have you guys in it - you are the draw - ledgends in your own time. How could we argue with that? Now, if we could just figure out how to get some roadies.... Maybe she'd go for renting a bus to get up there?

            We have about 1.5 hours of not bad video with crappy sound (just using the mic in the camera). I'll to post something when I figure out how to do it.


            Glad to hear it went so well and especially that you had such a good time!
            <div class="signaturecontainer">*TGFKAS*<br />
            <br />
            HC Geezer Brigade Trooper #240</div>

            Comment


            • #7
              Good to hear things worked out so well. I really envy you getting play in a town like Vegas. That would be just too cool.
              <div class="signaturecontainer">-----------------------------------------------<br />
              <br />
              <i>&quot;Being a musician aint a skill, it's an affliction&quot;</i><br />
              <br />
              Tyrone Purvis, in the movie &quot;<i>The Honeydrippers</i>&quot;<br />
              <br />
              My Forum<br />
              <a href="http://geezer-brigade.com/joomla/smf/index.php?" target="_blank">The Roost</a></div>

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by UncleJam
                Good to hear things worked out so well. I really envy you getting play in a town like Vegas. That would be just too cool.



                Well, remember, it was just for an anthropological conference - we played in a casino, but not in a lounge or show room! Most of the audience are friends, colleagues, students - people we have known for years, so it's not a hard sell. Also anthropologists/archaeologists as a group like to have a drink and get funky.

                It being in Las Vegas is why I dressed up and tried to look sharp - got me some strokes too!

                Personally, I really don't like casinos or Las Vegas. The desert and mountains around LV, however, are pretty damned nice. On the way back I got off 95 at Lathrop Wells and went west through Death Valley (90 degrees on the valley floor) over to 395 and then north to home. Beautiful drive.
                NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

                F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

                Comment


                • #9
                  SB, glad you didn't make that head-in happen!

                  Interesting set list...didn't go for Mercy, Mercy Mercy, eh?

                  since Tay already razzed ya, I won't say nuffin 'bowcher doin' Brick House...
                  _"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminant period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by daddymack
                    SB, glad you didn't make that head-in happen!

                    Interesting set list...didn't go for Mercy, Mercy Mercy, eh?

                    since Tay already razzed ya, I won't say nuffin 'bowcher doin' Brick House...


                    Nah, the other guys didn't know MMM, so we played BH instead!

                    Re set list, each of us has a different set of musical likes and knowledge, so we reflect that. There has to be some accomodation, but a lot of the fun for us is working things out. When we got togeher for our Thursday and Friday night rehearsals, we had a long list of suggested songs and just played through a verse or two and and a chorus of each. Those that gave trouble were discarded. If we played together all the time the variety probably would get homoginized into a more unitary "Hammerstone" sound. But whatever we are doing, our audiance likes it, so there you are.
                    NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

                    F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      SB,

                      I _THINK_ my wife's childhood across the street neighbor is an anthropologist. Dr. Bob Lindstrom. I know he goes to China when grants are available. He is 7' tall - hard to miss

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PolyFmorf
                        He is 7' tall - hard to miss


                        especially in China
                        _"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminant period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PolyFmorf
                          SB,

                          I _THINK_ my wife's childhood across the street neighbor is an anthropologist. Dr. Bob Lindstrom. I know he goes to China when grants are available. He is 7' tall - hard to miss


                          I don't know him - not unusual if he's in social or cultural anthro. Do you know where he teaches?

                          One of my American colleagues is 6' 8" and draws considerable attention! However, we have met a couple of Chinese as tall as he. And people in northern China where we work are taller than in the south, so men in the 5'7" to 6' range are not unusual - there are tall women too!
                          NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

                          F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X