Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

My trip to Musician's Friend Outlet (long)

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My trip to Musician's Friend Outlet (long)

Maria and I went to Kansas City for the weekend to, among other things, maybe buy a guitar. Someone here (Willyemerald) had mentioned that Musician's Friend had an outlet store there, so we looked it up and paid a visit Saturday morning. The MF warehouse is easy to find - right off I-29.

We got there at about 10:15, and there were already about half a dozen guys (mostly geezers) lined up under the awning to get out of the rain waiting for them to unlock the doors. The sign said that they opened at 10:30, so I went back to the car to wait. At about 10:35, I saw the doors open and the geezers jostle to get inside. Maria and I strolled up to the door, and there were already guys walking around with armloads of gear.... then it dawned on me... resellers. Right as you walk in, there's a pile of 80% off stuff - just odds and ends. Most of that stuff is going to wind up on Ebay.

One guy was carring around an electric guitar (couldn't tell what it was) with the snapped-off headstock taped to the neck with packing tape.

So anyway, I got to the acoustic room and looked around. It was surprisingly vacant in that part of the store. There were about a hundred acoustics in various conditions - none of them were what I was looking for, but I picked up a few. Some just had scratches, some had been dropped and popped the binding off...broken tuners, etc. I was a little dejected, since there was nothing there that I was remotely interested in.

So Maria and I went up to the front counter to ask for directions to whatever music store was nearby that had first quality stuff. The kid said, "What do you want to play? We'll just pull out of the warehouse for you." Nice kid, too. So I had him bring out some guitars I was curious about in my price range (I ended up playing five and buying one of them). He made out a pick list and said he'd look me up in about 15 minutes. A little later, he brought out a cart full of guitar boxes through the double doors and unpacked them so I could play them. Pretty cool, really.

As far as scratch and dent deals go, there are deals to be had if you know what you're looking at. I heard one of the geezers say that he comes to the outlet store every day to look for bargains. The kid helping me said that one of the employees bought a really nice sounding J-45 for $800 just recently. I asked him what was wrong with it, and he said "essentially nothing".

More about the store, although I only paid close attention to the acoustic room... There are probably 200 electric guitars on the wall - mostly low to mid priced stuff. Lots of amps - all brands - some won't turn on, some have just a small tear in the Tolex. Some PA gear, drums, etc... Worth a trip just to look around.

Anyway, it turned out to be a productive trip, and I'll make it a point to go back when I'm in the area.
    Trooper #210 - GB

If I went there it would be like a kid going to a giant candy store! Hope you found something you might consider to take home the next trip there.
    1997 Epiphone PR-350CE
    2000 MIM Fender Stratocaster
    2001 Washburn Bantamn bass
    19?? Takamine EGS-340SC
    ???? Yamaha APX-5NA
    2004 Squier Telecaster Standard
    2006 Regal RV-38 resonator
    2000 Cedar Creek Dulcimer
    2009 Stagg mandolin
    ......and more to come!

Comment

So wahdja git?
      GuitarCenter sucks.
      MusiciansFriend sucks.
      This has been a public service message.

Comment

So wahdja git?

Thought you'd never ask.

I got an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500RE. This is one:

It has a Sitka top and Indian rosewood back and sides (all solid wood) with a mahogany neck. Rosewoood fingerboard and upside down bridge. It also has Grover open-backed tuners. It has sort of the Gibby mojo. It has a nice deep bass, but it's not as "well mannered" as a Martin, for instance. It's a little ruder sounding with more twang when you lean into it. Sounds like Steve Earle bashing away.

Oh, and it has a Baggs Element undersaddle with a volume control just inside the soundhole.

I picked it over the Breedlove Atlas, the Guild GAD-50 and both the rosewood and mahogany spruce-topped Martin "D-15s" that MF sells.
        Trooper #210 - GB

Comment

Thought you'd never ask.

I got an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500RE. This is one:

It has a Sitka top and Indian rosewood back and sides (all solid wood) with a mahogany neck. Rosewoood fingerboard and upside down bridge. It also has Grover open-backed tuners. It has sort of the Gibby mojo. It has a nice deep bass, but it's not as "well mannered" as a Martin, for instance. It's a little ruder sounding with more twang when you lean into it. Sounds like Steve Earle bashing away.

Oh, and it has a Baggs Element undersaddle with a volume control just inside the soundhole.

I picked it over the Breedlove Atlas, the Guild GAD-50 and both the rosewood and mahogany spruce-topped Martin "D-15s" that MF sells.

enjoy it!
          Matisse has the best signature!

Originally Posted by Chthonic

*tags men's bathroom with tampon and sharpie*

Originally Posted by Chthonic

You sex on wheels man****************

Listen to--->The Sneaky Dance

Comment

Nice score, congrats! You know when I was last shopping for acoustics I played one of those Epis--not sure it was that exact model but I know it was the same line and style--and it was one of the best I played. I actually like it better than a couple really expensive Martins that were real letdowns, and I also like the Epi better than the Gibsons on the wall. I didn't buy the Epi because ultimately it just had a softer attack than I wanted to get out of it--didn't repond to aggressive playing as well as a couple others. But overall I was pleasantly surprised at that Epi!
            GuitarCenter sucks.
            MusiciansFriend sucks.
            This has been a public service message.

Comment

I bought a MF scratch and dent AJ-500RC with just a few weird scratches on the pickguard.

It's a fun guitar and easy too play.

Congrats
              Geezer Brigade Trooper #30
              1st generation Irish

Comment

I didn't buy the Epi because ultimately it just had a softer attack than I wanted to get out of it--didn't repond to aggressive playing as well as a couple others. But overall I was pleasantly surprised at that Epi!

I tend to agree with that. I'm going to raise the action a hair and put some .013s on it and see what happens.
                Trooper #210 - GB

Comment

Nice,inform us when you put mediums on,inquiring minds wants to know!
                  1997 Epiphone PR-350CE
                  2000 MIM Fender Stratocaster
                  2001 Washburn Bantamn bass
                  19?? Takamine EGS-340SC
                  ???? Yamaha APX-5NA
                  2004 Squier Telecaster Standard
                  2006 Regal RV-38 resonator
                  2000 Cedar Creek Dulcimer
                  2009 Stagg mandolin
                  ......and more to come!

Comment

Working...