Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Help from You Fellers

I have a very large speaker cabinet, that I need to ship, literally, from one side of the US, to the other. It is an Ampeg 8X10. I have conflicting numbers on the weight, but it weighs in at or abve 150 pounds, and is 46.5 inches tall, minus the caster base. I am still trying to invent something that is, at once, practical and protective. One thing I've already learned, you can't buy shipping supplies at the UPS Store, Staples or Office depot. They have some mailing supply stuff, but little that I needed to ship this monster. Regardless of weight, the cab has to go freight, because of it's girth.

I've tossed around a few ideas, and rejected most. Here is what I am currently leaning towards.;

I already have bubble and srink wrap. This is my underment, sitting next to the cab. At Lowe's Home Improvement, I can get 1/2" Styrofoam sheeting to go over that, and 7/16" OSB board to wrap around the outside. This adds an inch and a half to the girth, and some additional weight, but with a good level protection. Is it overkill? Would a single piece of OSB, covering the grill, shrink wrapping that, the foam and bubble wrap all together, be sufficient? Is there some other magical way that I am unaware of?

With all the other stuff, it is worth noting that this frikkin' thing is built like a tank, with solid wood. It is really 4 smaller cabinets stacked on top of one another. It has some shock absorption built in. Anyways, I'd appreciate any input. I need to wrap this thing up over the next couple of days, while the weather is cooperating.
    -----------------------------------------------

"Being a musician aint a skill, it's an affliction"

Tyrone Purvis, in the movie "The Honeydrippers"

My Forum
    The Roost

Way out of my experience, Jams! Is it solid or plywood? The later would probably be less likely to break.
    NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

If you are shipping it as freight I say do the whole deal including the OSB. Might even be nice to have it already mounted on a pallet.
      *TGFKAS*

HC Geezer Brigade Trooper #240

Comment

Jeez, Jammy, I had no idea this would such a problem!

Can you put a raincoat on it and put it on a Greyhound Express?

The Taylor Harvey Band

The THB myspace page

Comment

Why don't you just ask North American or Bekins Van Lines to ship it? They'll wrap it in furniture pads. They could put it on a truck going somewhere near where you're shipping to and the buyer could pick it up from their warehouse. When I worked as a lumper part time in San Diego, lots of things got shipped that way.
          http://www.patcoast.com"The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio."-Christhee68" the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep."- FitchFY

Comment

Jammie...
            1) palletize it (Find a decent wood or plastic pallet somewhere).
            2) cover it with a tarp or similar and strap it down.
            3) build a wood frame 'crate' around it for protection
            4) Ask UPS if they will accept it under their 'hunderdweight' program.
            5) If not, check local yellowages for trucking companies or freight consolidators.
            6) Ship it as LTL (less than truckload)
            7) contact me if you need specific assistance...
            "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

I used to lump freight.

His brother has a commercial account with UPS. I can pack it, drop it at a local terminal, with arrangement to bill his account. That means LTL service, and several moves from line hauler to line hauler, given the distance.

It isn't any problem Taylor. I can wrap it up in a couple of hours or so. Just fishin' for ideas. And the weather,thing aint no joke. It has rained here, nearly every day, for the better part of 2 months. Today, though, was beautiful, and more of the same is predicted for the rest of the week. Halle-****************ing-lujah .
              -----------------------------------------------

"Being a musician aint a skill, it's an affliction"

Tyrone Purvis, in the movie "The Honeydrippers"

My Forum
              The Roost

Comment

Box and palettize it. I know ABF won't pick it up if it's not crated.
                Originally Posted by SwampMusic

Never underestimate the perversity of inanimate objects. Their sole purpose is to confound, confuse and generally frustrate the living.

Comment

I eBayed a stove once. Get a fridge carton at Sears or some appliance store, pad the sucker to death with folded cardboard, use a whole damn roll of tape and then call UPS for pickup. They will come to your house and drag it away for not too much money.
                  www.WheresEddie.com

Comment

I would maybe ship the speakers separately to reduce weight and so you could pack them so the voice coils don't get wacked in case the cab is dropped hard.

Comment

Working...
                    X