Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Band in a can wankfest!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band in a can wankfest!

Here's a vid of me and my buddy Paul, last song of the night, dicking around with my Digitech RP100 (no amp, just straight into the PA) while he plays through his G-Dec 'Band In A Can". I learned a lot from this video: I don't sing blues very good sitting down, or play very good sitting down, and if I'm not going to use an amp onstage I shouldn't put the recording mic in front of the PA speaker.

<div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.patcoast.com" target="_blank">http://www.patcoast.com</a><br><br><br><br><font size="1">&quot;The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio.&quot;-<i>Christhee68</i></font><br><br><br><br><font size="1">&quot; the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep.&quot;-<i> FitchFY</i></font></div>

Just some observations...take with however many grains of salt you wish...

1: Use a stool, not a chair, it will keep your diaphragm from 'folding'
    2: You play fine sitting down, it just isn't as 'impressive' as when you are standing up
    3: Play rhythm when you are singing, let your buddy do the fills during the verses...just a thought.
    _"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminant period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Comment

1) Good idea, I'll have to bring my own since they don't want the band using their bar stools anymore,
      2) Most of the night is doing acoustic stuff- I play electric guitar on maybe 6 songs out of 50.
      3) I tried that- he kept playing over the vocals so I told him not to and he said "fine, you know where you're going to sing, you do it from now on."
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.patcoast.com" target="_blank">http://www.patcoast.com</a><br><br><br><br><font size="1">&quot;The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio.&quot;-<i>Christhee68</i></font><br><br><br><br><font size="1">&quot; the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep.&quot;-<i> FitchFY</i></font></div>

Comment

I really enjoyed that.

I've done a bunch of single rock and roll gigs using a Zoom RT123 that allows me to program in my own bass-and-drums backing tracks. It works pretty well except for two things. No dynamics, meaning that if my solo starts to get louder or softer the backing tracks stay at the same volume (although I suppose I could remedy that with a volume pedal) and no ending riffs, so that I just have to do like you did and stop the machine and end up with a guitar riff by itself (although the Zoom unit does allow me to throw in a few cymbal crashes manually).

Doesn't really take the place of a band, but it's always on time, never complains about the lousy pay, and fits into a lunchbox.
        Michael D. www.mdlmusic.webs.com "I'm tired of rock-and-rolling Let's get married, Honey, let's go bowling" --Martin Mull

Comment

3) I tried that- he kept playing over the vocals so I told him not to and he said "fine, you know where you're going to sing, you do it from now on."

Sounds to me like he isn't paying attention...time to find a new partner. One thing every musician should know is how to be an accompanist.
          _"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminant period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Comment

Great to see/hear you again Pat! Very fine wanking, IMHO!

Too bad someone can't make an AI drummer in a can (ROBOdrummer) that could actually listen and understand what the guitarist(s) was up to and respond with different dynamics and licks.

Shouldn't be that difficult. Hmmmm, let's see. Just take a little engineering. But it wouldn't be completely autonomous.

The interface would, for each song, allow you to enter the song structure: type of music (blues, country, rock, jazz, latin, etc., ), time, BPM, intro, verse, chorus and finish length (in bars), verse/chorus alternation scheme, solo placement, what else?

When you were setting it up, the machine would suggest some basic licks you could choose, which the machine could then vary randomly or according to the AI rules it would develop through experience in playing with you. It would have a foot controller for song selection, and would count the song off. As you play, it would listen to your voice and instrument and adjust dynamics. It would add fills, crashes, etc., as appropriate from a (because it is a computer) vast repertory of such. The controller would also allow you to override the basic structure for the song so you could add as many brilliant and extended solos as you cared to!

I'm applying for a patent!
            NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

Sounds to me like he isn't paying attention...time to find a new partner. One thing every musician should know is how to be an accompanist.

I agree. I dissolved the duo last December. It was a lot of things, that was just one. I love the guy like a brother, but after 5 years, there were just too many things I didn't enjoy any more.

Comment

now, if only I could make a living in Ida-ho...since I know oyu are not moving back down here...

Comment

Working...
                X