Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

The Loudness War is Over

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Loudness War is Over

Great Article from Mix!

http://mixonline.com/mixline/reierson_loudness_war_0802/index.html

Do you think that digital downloads are the future of music distrubution??

Is the loudness war going to end??
    <div class="signaturecontainer">---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />
    '94 Danelectro U-1<br />
    '04 Tony Iommi Signature SG<br />
    '66 Harmony Bobkat<br />
    '75 Sorina Flying V</div>

I never noticed a difference

G.B.#275

OK We'll close down the business,have the manager shot,and give you back all your money.will that make you happy?

The Hot Rod Owner's Club

Comment

Hello, fairly new here, but thought I would chime in on this one.

I would guess anyone reading this already knows about the loud issue. Also how they were going to lower the price as the medium became cheaper to make. (42 here, replaced all my vinyl with CD, and then some) Prices went up over time.

Hate to say it, but I have become my Dad. I do not care for any new music, except for a very small amount of bands, even then a handful of tunes. I pretty much already bought everything I wanted 20 years ago. Anyhow, so i won't be a large customer no matter what happens now. I am a classic rock fan, so I say things in this area of music.

My issue is the artists that they allow into the limelight/spotlight today, and recent years past. I see a very very small number of bands/artists that will be remembered from the past 10 years, 20 years from now.

Example; I do not see anyone in the Recording Industry giving say a band like Pink Floyd a chance, no one will care for this rubbish, and just brush them off.

While i do not much care for Country music, it seems to have done very well the past 20 years.

I would guess most have read Courtney Love's description on how "things" work. http://www.salon.com/technology/feature/2000/06/14/love

The loud CD's were just one more thing consumers had enough of, greed is the cause of all the music sales problems.
      Yes, they made them loud like that thinking it would (and did for a time) sell more. Mp3's just came along at a bad time for them. I believe without the mp3's they were still doomed, just would have taken longer.

One last thing, and this is recent, please read this - http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/12/artists-lawsuit-major-record-labels-are-the-real-pirates.ars

They had the money put aside for the day this came.

Comment

I have a Sony boombox I use on the job that has a bass boost circuit. I have one particular cd that when I put it in, I have to remember to shut the bass off.

I subscribe to the theory of universal consciousness. Intellectual property is a scam.
        Music belongs to everybody - not just the artists, and certainly not the companies.
        http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...1330893693.png

Comment

that's some heavy stuff Paul, I read part of Courtney's article but it is way to long to read now.The other article which I did read in it's entirety was interesting.

btw,welcome to the forum.

G.B.#275

OK We'll close down the business,have the manager shot,and give you back all your money.will that make you happy?

The Hot Rod Owner's Club

Comment

that's some heavy stuff Paul, I read part of Courtney's article but it is way to long to read now.

haha, sorry for the heavy. A google of "courtney love music industry" will find you so many links to that same article. Remember, two Courtney's, one is in the media all the time for the crap she does, the other Courtney is the Oscar Nod girl. This was done by Oscar Nod "on the ball" Courtney. Myself, I believe every word she says in that article. If memory serves, I believe it was in Rolling Stone magazine back some 10-15 years ago. uhmm, feeling old again, back to finding pointers on learning this guitar.

thanks for the welcome.

Comment

HA Glad you cleared that Courtney thing up.I was thinking the Bimbo. LOL

G.B.#275

The Hot Rod Owner's Club

Comment

Until digital downloads are guaranteed CD quality with playback equipment equal or better quality than my CD player, I will continue to buy CDs whenever possible.
                <div class="signaturecontainer">Goodall Cutaway - Addy Spruce, Blackwood B&amp;S<br />
                Gibson Songbird Deluxe - Spruce, Rosewood B&amp;S<br />
                Tacoma Thunderhawk Baritone Acoustic<br />
                Gibson ES-335<br />
                Carvin CT-6<br />
                Fender MIM Strat w/Gold Lace's<br />
                Savage Macht 6<br />
                EB Volume-&gt;Crybaby-&gt;TU2-&gt;HBE Powerscreamer-&gt;DL-4-&gt;Supervibe Chorus</div>

Comment

I subscribe to the theory of universal consciousness. Intellectual property is a scam.
                  Music belongs to everybody - not just the artists, and certainly not the companies.

Until you write a hit song.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.patcoast.com" target="_blank">http://www.patcoast.com</a><br><br><br><br><font size="1">&quot;The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio.&quot;-<i>Christhee68</i></font><br><br><br><br><font size="1">&quot; the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep.&quot;-<i> FitchFY</i></font></div>

Comment

I've never met a rich communist...
                    _"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminant period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Comment

Sad thing is, the music industry has always ****************ed artists, at least from the 50's on. Think of all the blues and R&B folks who were ripped off, along with rock bands in the 60s and 70s. Naive artists combined with poor or no legal advice, bad agents, net proceeds deals with record companies, etc.
                      NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

true, yet there were plenty of savvy artists who made millions on sales alone..Elvis, Chuck Berry (one of the few singer songwriters of the era and kept his publishing), Little Richard...so yeah, some got taken, and some took...and plenty from the previous generation who made bank on record sales...Sinatra for one...
                        _"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminant period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Comment

Working...
                        X