Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ukeleles...who plays them?

just ordered a 19.99 cheapie to try out (but it comes ith a gig bag!), and basically all I know is that it tunes similar to the DGBE on a guitar, just a 4th higher (GCEA), so chord 'patterns' are essentially the same, just (obviously) a 4th higher...so I anticipate no major issues...am I missing something?
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Poncie Ponce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oCySuqUnZk

Can't really tell you anything useful about ukes but I couldn't resist the nostalgia.
    Website http://forcepics.net63.net

Comment

my dad taught me a few songs on his baratone uke.....when i was 5 or 6.

my dog has fleas.....is all i can remember, now
      "If I would have known I was gonna hafta play this song for the rest of my life.........
      I woulda wrote a better song "
      member Mazi Bee Militia
      Talk Box Brigade
      Gretsch Guards
      Geezer Brigade #291

Comment

Ukes are fun. Its like the ultimate couch instrument.
        I sometimes learn my song lyrics playing along on uke while sitting on the couch.
        Just about anything sounds good strummed on one.

Comment

I got the 'bug' years ago in Honolulu, when I got to talking to this guy who hand built very high end ukes...and he kept telling me, 'if you play da guitar, you can play da uke'...and he handed me a $4000 uke he had made and said...'play an A, play a D...dare you go!' ...and I was hooked...but I just didn't see the need to buy one, and then the last time we were over there...I listened to these guys, none of them probably younger than 70, playing traditional Hawaiian music, just hanging out...and the bug bit me harder. And then a few weeks ago, I was in a local music store, and they had about 20 ukes out...and I asked the owner (son of the original owner...I'ver been going there for over 35 years)...what's the deal, and he told me 'I sell hundreds of these a month...hundreds...it's not enough to keep me open, but they are flying out of here. People buy them because they are popular again, small, relatively cheap and portable.'
          So it was idea of 'portable and cheap' that got me...if I like it, I will definitely upgrade...but I wasn't going to spend 1-300 to find out it didn't really have long term appeal...like my resonator...but for 20 bucks, with a gigbag...how bad could I get hurt?
          Plus, alot of times, when we go away for a weekend, taking a guitar just seems like 'too much'...but to just toss a uke in the back seat seems a lot more casual...I dunno...
          "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

....and here's how you REALLY play a uke.
            "If I would have known I was gonna hafta play this song for the rest of my life.........
            I woulda wrote a better song "
            member Mazi Bee Militia
            Talk Box Brigade
            Gretsch Guards
            Geezer Brigade #291

Comment

Poncie Ponce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oCySuqUnZk

Can't really tell you anything useful about ukes but I couldn't resist the nostalgia.

ah, yes...Hawaiian Eye...classic Warner Bros. detective fantasy from the early 60s...Ponce, a native Hawaiian, discovered in Los Angeles doing stand up...go figure.
              I guess I will need a straw hat....and an inner tube...

Comment

Jake's okay...but it was hearing a couple of 'traditional' pieces by Iz in 2001 that really put the 'bug' in me; Iz sadly passed in 1997...so I never got to see him live.

Comment

I keep thinking about getting a uke or a mando to just fool around with. I guess you couldn't go wrong for 20 bucks.
                  Death leaves a heartache no one can heal
                  Love leaves a memory no one can steal

Comment

my thinking exactly...costs less than a bottle of good bourbon!

Comment

The rhythm variations in the fast strumming section of this song are simply astounding.

I bet he is an AWESOME wanker...

Comment

Bought one for my son when he was 3. He was enamored by them in the music store, and was just standing there staring at them. The store owner walked by picked one up and put in his hands (evil fellow, there was almost no way now of getting out of the store without buying one if i wanted to avoid a 3 year old tantrum). Anyhow, despite it being painted green and sparkles, my son quickly got bored of it and moved on to spider man action figures

I'll find it, tune it up and play. Though invariably the kids steal it back.

This was poster over at SSS a couple of months back. I like it:

Comment

My Aunt June has a mahogany baritone uke (a Martin) that she bought for my cousin Jimmy when he was a little boy. That thing must be well over fifty years old, now. She's pushin' ninety, and it's her favorite porch guitar.
                          http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...1330893693.png

Comment

THIS is what I call ukulele playing.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X