Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember all those song ideas I was coming up with and you guys thought I was crazy?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember all those song ideas I was coming up with and you guys thought I was crazy?

..... a while back, like since Feburary?

Well! I finally got my CD sort of done. It's kind of a rough mix with some things being out of balance, but I'm sick of working on it and will dial it in soon. Until then, here is the first mix

I'm sure some of you will hate it but hey, it's the best I can do. It's not easy when you have to do everything from writing the songs to sweeping up the studio after everything is smashed and done.

TehJoeBeanBand

I think I will have to wait for the videos, because, honestly, it is hard to tell where teh explosions and pyrotechnics are supposed to happen from just the audio...

Actually, these are much better than I expected!
    Your sardonic wit and matter of fact approach to singing balance out interestingly!

Where did you record?
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
    "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

I think I will have to wait for the videos, because, honestly, it is hard to tell where teh explosions and pyrotechnics are supposed to happen from just the audio...

Actually, these are much better than I expected!
      Your sardonic wit and matter of fact approach to singing balance out interestingly!

Where did you record?

Thanks.

In my basement and living room

Drums and bass are the hardest to capture. Drums were acoustic only on Squeak and then digital Rolands (with live cymbals) on all the rest. I lost the click track on Squeak and Words .... I'm not too organized Anyway, I'm trying to remix a few things to get the balance better .... I need to learn how to use a compressor better. All the cymbals were a nightmare.

Comment

I Got a Squeak In My Car
        My HC Classified Thread

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...Marshalls-More

Comment

Leave It All Behind
          My HC Classified Thread

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...Marshalls-More

Comment

Cool! I just listened to the first 2 cuts, but I bookmarked it so I can come back and listen some more. Good job.

Have you ever heard of a band named Van Halen? You should check them out. I think you would really like their music!

No offense intended, but (see above) . . .

Old is the new new.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
            -Dorothy Parker

Comment

Thanks but, what's this about Van Halen? ... did their drummer suck too?

ok, well anyway, I thought something was wrong with teh CD because there was no bass coming out of my laptop but then I plugged my headphones in and it sounds much fuller .....

Should a properly mixed CD actually sound good out of crappy computer speakers?

Teh best tracks IMO are:

Words
              Guitar Page
              Memphis
              Feeling Fine

the most tweedbucketish tunes are:
              Squeak
              A Day in May
              Maniac Surfer Blues
              Midnight Mowing Rider

Tell me what is wrong with it (other than the crappy out of time, muffled solos) and I'll try to fix it.

Comment

As far as sounding good on crappy computer speakers, you'd want it to sound as good as a good recording does on them - if you can't hear the bass to a greater degree than on commercial recordings on the laptop, and can hear it fine on headphones, maybe it's because you mixed with headphones, or at least speakers with lots of bass response, which is very much different from my laptop speakers, which I would not try to listen to music with unless I had no other choice.

It's a good practice to try the recording on different players of varying types to find anything really out of whack for a particular set-up. This might be more of a mastering thing as well - bringing the whole of the mix into focus.

But for my part, I haven't listened critically to the mix, other than to find it reasonably listenable. And it was after listening to "Stop! Hold On!" that I made the Van Halen remark. I just thought that one was in a Vanish style.

I don't see that one on either list, by the way.
                No offense intended, but (see above) . . .

Old is the new new.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
                -Dorothy Parker

Comment

As far as sounding good on crappy computer speakers, you'd want it to sound as good as a good recording does on them - if you can't hear the bass to a greater degree than on commercial recordings on the laptop, and can hear it fine on headphones, maybe it's because you mixed with headphones, or at least speakers with lots of bass response, which is very much different from my laptop speakers, which I would not try to listen to music with unless I had no other choice.

It's a good practice to try the recording on different players of varying types to find anything really out of whack for a particular set-up. This might be more of a mastering thing as well - bringing the whole of the mix into focus.

But for my part, I haven't listened critically to the mix, other than to find it reasonably listenable. And it was after listening to "Stop! Hold On!" that I made the Van Halen remark. I just thought that one was in a Vanish style.

I don't see that one on either list, by the way.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, mixing is some kind of magical formula. It sounds good on a regular stereo, but where crappy speakers give it up is in bass response, so on good recordings they must have some kind of upper bass frequencies happening that come through, where my stuff is more sub bass frequencies. I'm mixing pretty much old school with a mackie 16 ch board .... you can only tweek so far on that thing.

Everyone is mixing on computers with programs where you can fine tune everything ... I guess I need to go that direction. I have a better mix on a few songs that I'll upload tomorrow ....but it's still only going to be so good.

At least it's better than my last big session back in 2001

Comment

Maybe you need to try to think "Outside of teh Bucket."
                    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...1330893693.png

Comment

well I enjoyed listening to the CD and thought it not bad at all. I even C&P'ed it for some friends to listen too.

well done Dr.

G.B.#275

OK We'll close down the business,have the manager shot,and give you back all your money.will that make you happy?

The Hot Rod Owner's Club

Comment

why thank you sir, I'll have to poast an update soon

Someone wanted more cowbell

I didn't have one so I added more kicker drum instead

Comment

I have stolen all these songs and added them to my stolen bean band collection.
                          :-)
                          So far my fav is Squeak.
                          my gear
                          some crap
                          some spare crap in case my regular crap breaks
                          HCGB Trooper #252 On permanant KP

Comment

I have stolen all these songs and added them to my stolen bean band collection.
                            :-)
                            So far my fav is Squeak.

that's weird Squeak is the song I was going to leave out because it was too silly .... and the timing wasn't right and stuff like that, and the drums were recorded with one overhead mic

I'll have a better teh version pretty soon I think, then I'm going to re work some older Joe Bean songs that you can re-steal!

Comment

Working...
                            X