Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle advice requested.

....but not likely listened to.

So!..... when I finally sell my Honda Valkyrie, what should I replace it with?

1. I'm strongly teetering towards attempting to lure my 2002 Triumph Bonneville T100 away from the guy who bought it last spring, but that's not a fer sher thing, he tends to hang on to his stuff.

2. Maybe a Vespa GTS300 for something completely different? Could be a lot of fun as long as nothing went wrong with it that would require me to drag it 350 miles in the back of a pickup truck to be repaired by a bonified Vespa servicing dealer.

3. Then there's the siren call of a vintage Japanese bike, probably a minty mid-seventies Suzuki GT750 'Water buffalo' (I'm partial to them, having owned five of the damn things over the years).

4. Suzuki B-King 1300 perhaps? but I already have the insane power thing covered with my ZX14 super-kwacker so that choice may be redundant.

5. ?????????????

Here's what I don't want.......

1. A V-twin cruiser of any brand.

2. A Ducati or Aprilia.

3. Any hard-edged sport bike with the bars attached lower than the top clamp of the triple-tree.

4. Any sort of 'adventure tourer' or heavy super-tourers, we already have a GL1800 dammit.

This is the sort of thing that gets me through the winter, plotting the next sickle aquisition, it's a bit of a game to us.

500 cc Triumph Tiger 100. If it was good enough for Ted Simon, why not give it a putter-splut go?

Comment

Oh, go for the Water Buffalo! Haven't seen one now in twenty years, at least! 3 Cylinder 750cc water-cooled 2 stroke, chain driven! How cool is that? Either that or one of the RE5s rotary. What about a Van Veen rotary?

Comment

Oh, go for the Water Buffalo! Haven't seen one now in twenty years, at least! 3 Cylinder 750cc water-cooled 2 stroke, chain driven! How cool is that? Either that or one of the RE5s rotary. What about a Van Veen rotary?

I currently have a 1974 GT750....

but I'd like a more pristine specimen than this one.

RE5's are a pain in the ass to find a decent one that's even running, there's recently been three or four of them on ebay, and not one of them is in running condition. Spark plugs for those turds cost about $45 each.....if you can find one. Interesting bike, but......

Van Veens are exceedingly rare, and the prices reflect that.

I have a history with GT750's, so I'm very familiar with them, and the head mechanic at the local Kawasaki dealership likes to work on old Suzuki two-strokes (he owns a GT500 and rides it to work on most days), so that's a BIG plus.

Comment

500 cc Triumph Tiger 100. If it was good enough for Ted Simon, why not give it a putter-splut go?

I tend to avoid motorcycles with leather gaskets. As much as I admire vintage Triumphs (visually), the only Triumph twins I'd consider owning are the latest generation bikes from 2001 on. The Hinckly-built twins are reliable, don't leak, don't vibrate, actually have brakes, and sound as good as the old one's did.

Who's Ted Simon?

Comment

How about a DL1000?

(What kind of riding do you like?)

My current fantasy motorcycle is a Piaggio MP3. Piaggio owns Vespa. It's a 250cc fuel-injected scooter that gets 70 MPG.

It was two front wheels, but they are only a few inches apart and lean... so it handles like a proper motorcycle, and corners like it's on rails. Until you push the magic button (below 5 MPH) and the wheels lock like a trike, so you can have car-like slow speed handling and you don't need a sidestand.

The main reason I want to own one is because I bet it would do *awesome* doughnuts in a snow-covered parking lot. I mean, can you IMAGINE the rooster tails?!?!
            --Hammond: BC, M3, Split L111, L122 / Leslie: 51, 760 / Yamaha: DGX-620, PF-85Follow my new band, Dr. Bombay! We're going to be organasmic!

Comment

I've ridden a DL1000 some years ago and liked it, but these days I'd probably prefer the 650 V-Strom over the 1000. The 'problem' I have with either these days is that they fall into the 'adventure tourer' category, which I currently have little interst in, and as far as tourers go, I would take the GL1800 over just about anything else for that mission.

Like the Can-am Spyder, the MP3's just don't push any of my interst buttons enough to want to own one. We owned two Burgman 650's for a few seasons (I've ridden 650 Burgmans about 25,000 miles in total) so we're not totally unfamiliar with large twist-n-go scooter types. I might consider another low-mile, used, Burgman 650 though, it'd constrast nicely with our current stable of five quite varied machines.

Comment

Well, if i was buying another bike, I'd get either a vintage 70s Goldwing or a late 70s-early 80s KZ 750 Kaw and strip it down to a cafe racer style bike.

1976 Goldwing

1979 KZ750

http://www.patcoast.com"The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio."-Christhee68" the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep."- FitchFY

Comment

Well, if i was buying another bike, I'd get either a vintage 70s Goldwing or a late 70s-early 80s KZ 750 Kaw and strip it down to a cafe racer style bike.

That's a very nice KZ cafe racer, the engine looks a lot like an old four-valve Honda 'F' motor at first glance.

I've owned two 1976 yellow GL1000's in the past, both were sort of cafe'd versions. Here's a photo of my first one, taken minutes before leaving Minneapolis for Dallas on Thanksgiving day, sometime around 1980.....

The old first generation GL''s are something of a bargain right now. For some reason, they're generally underpriced compared to many other old Honda models, but I would think that that situation won't last forever....$4000-$6000 will still buy a very nice example.

Comment

....but not likely listened to.

So!..... when I finally sell my Honda Valkyrie, what should I replace it with?

1. I'm strongly teetering towards attempting to lure my 2002 Triumph Bonneville T100 away from the guy who bought it last spring, but that's not a fer sher thing, he tends to hang on to his stuff.

2. Maybe a Vespa GTS300 for something completely different? Could be a lot of fun as long as nothing went wrong with it that would require me to drag it 350 miles in the back of a pickup truck to be repaired by a bonified Vespa servicing dealer.

3. Then there's the siren call of a vintage Japanese bike, probably a minty mid-seventies Suzuki GT750 'Water buffalo' (I'm partial to them, having owned five of the damn things over the years).

4. Suzuki B-King 1300 perhaps? but I already have the insane power thing covered with my ZX14 super-kwacker so that choice may be redundant.

5. ?????????????

Here's what I don't want.......

1. A V-twin cruiser of any brand.

2. A Ducati or Aprilia.

3. Any hard-edged sport bike with the bars attached lower than the top clamp of the triple-tree.

4. Any sort of 'adventure tourer' or heavy super-tourers, we already have a GL1800 dammit.

This is the sort of thing that gets me through the winter, plotting the next sickle aquisition, it's a bit of a game to us.

Howwww about a vintage 1982 CB900F Honda with only 198 miles!

I just happen to have one in stock

It's on sale for $4500 this week only!

... comes with non dry rotted original Bridgestone tires!

Other than that, I don't know

Comment

You know, if I could get rid of my Valkyrie, I'd be terribly tempted to go for your 900 for $4500, it's worth every penny of that IMO. There probably isn't a better example of that particular machine in the entire world, seriously.

Comment

I really liked them. I had a 750F that I bought new in 81, then I bought my friend's 81 900 F (below) when he decided to buy a cruiser bike instead. That's the bike that prompted me to buy the one above..... I thought for the money it was a great deal considering how much new bikes cost anymore. I should just ride the thing and not worry about putting miles on it, but now the one end carb is slightly plugged up I need to rebuild it or fix it.

The 1100F was a great bike too .... you'll see one in the background of that pic ^

Comment

Much MAS? During the mid-seventies the Brit Ted Simon circumnavigated the globe. His journal is Jupiter's Travels.

Comment

Much MAS? During the mid-seventies the Brit Ted Simon circumnavigated the globe. His journal is Jupiter's Travels.

I guess I had heard of the book but have never read it. I wasn't familiar with whoever wrote it.

Comment

Working...
                            X