X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tasmanian Bushfires.

In Australia every year around January, we have some sort of disaster.

Bushfires, floods, cyclones, almost annually.

The country is experiencing a heatwave at the moment so that means fires.

Tasmania is the latest to suffer.

With homes razed and so far one death which is one too many.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-0...-homes/4453980

In light of this thread's tone, I withdraw my comment.

Comment

100 people unaccounted for.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-0...nferno/4454572

Comment

sorry, Scrubby, we have the same issue here in SoCal with dry weather and high heat leading to bush fires.

If you live in a fire prone area, keep the brush near the house mowed short, water the plants near the house regularly, put your valuables in a bank safe deposit box during fire season, have a fireproof safe for crucial documents, have an emergency exit plan worked out in advance...and when they come and tell you to evacuate, do it.
        _"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminant period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Comment

Good advice DMack but its not the same game here as in Cal.

The weather bureau has just added a new colour to their charts to represent temps over 50 deg C.

In Central Aust its as hot as hell and the winds are blowing that heat eastward at 50mph.

Sydney ,on the coast is in the mid 40's at the moment.

There are 140 different fires across the state with 40 out of control and our resources are stretched.

I believe there are fighters from NZ arriving to relieve the crews.

New South Wales = 312,528 sq mls.

I know there are eucalyptus trees in Cal. In Aust they are the main tree.

When they get hot the oil in the leaves boil and vapourizes.

Add fire and wind and you're talking blow torch territory.

In Tasmania the survivors of the tragedy there in recent days spoke of "Fireballs"

Fire preparation ads have been on the TV since the start of spring so its not as if people aren't prepared.

Hell, we go through this nearly every year.

Comment

Working...
          X