No announcement yet.

Went to see Dr. John last night!

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to see Dr. John last night!

At the Sparks Nugget Showroom. Very nice room, by the way.

Dr. John looks like he's having a lot of trouble moving around, but his performance hasn't suffered! He played a baby grand, and keyboard and did a couple of tunes on guitar. You know, he started out on guitar and bass and then had a finger shot off in a bar fight (true fact!) and started playing piano. But he does good on guitar anyway!

Last year he dissolved his 9-piece band. The new band is bass, B3, drums, guitar and his musical director and trombonist is Sarah Morrow. Indeed! Turns out she's famous in jazz and funk music. First pro gig was Ray Charles' touring band. She directed his last band as well, and she was the only one he brought over to the new one. As you might imagine, all the players were excellent, and the band very tight. They all pay attention to Sarah and she to Dr. John. She played many solos, has great chops and very mellow tone (I really love tombone anyway). She and the guitar player would play the parts of a 3 piece horn section togther - very cool.

The audience was pretty damned geezerly but everyone had a good time. Great show

NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

ol' 'Mac' always puts on a great show. I haven't seen the new 'Locked Down' ensemble yet...they come here the end of July at the Bowl...they did win the best blues album Grammy, btw...

"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
    "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

• happy hours
      happy hours commented
      Editing a comment

I can imagine that was a pretty good show.

• Smilin' Bob
      Smilin' Bob commented
      Editing a comment

Don't miss them, DM!

Working...
X