X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A meditation on "cool"

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/cool_story/2013/09/the_history_and_future_of_cool_what_does_the_term_ mean_in_2013.html

NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

but teh moment you try to defne an esoteric concept like 'cool', it becomes un-cool...because it isn't one thing, it is many things, in many ways, to be taken as one wishes in the moment...

"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

• Smilin' Bob
      Smilin' Bob commented
      Editing a comment

Right. Cool is like art - hard to define or explain, but you know it or feel it when you see it.

For a person, it's not necessarily a performance, skill or possession. The Dude was cool, but mostly what he did was abide. He was a decent bowler, but did he even own a ball and shoes?

Working...
X