X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trooper #210 - GB

Comment

Dr Bob, where is our weekly anthropological post?

Well, anthropologists are still arguing over what the recently discovered "hobbits" from Flores Island in Indonesia represent. The skeletons dated to 18000 years ago are only 1-meter-tall with a small skull containing a grapefruit-sized brain. Some think these folks were suffering from a kind of congenital microcephly and/or dwarfism derived from genetic inbreeding of a small island population and competition for resources. Others think they are holdovers from an early Homo erectus population (that became extinct everywhere else hundreds of thousands of years ago) or perhaps a separate hominid offshoot. This isn't in my area, but I favor the dwarfism and microcephly hypothesis because it seems more likely than the survival of primitive holdouts. I guess they need to do more work!

The issue is complicated by politics, with the Indonesian archaeologists unwilling to let outsiders have access to the bones.
      NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

GB #270 in perpetuity

That's what's so great about the Internet:
        It enables pompous blowhards like myself,
        to connect with other pompous blowhards
        in a vast circle jerk of pomposity.

Comment

The Taylor Harvey Band

The THB myspace page

Comment

Homo erectus

Isn't this the San Francisco city motto?

(not that there's anything wrong with that...)
            http://www.patcoast.com"The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio."-Christhee68" the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep."- FitchFY

Comment

)

I'm happy HC still allows such remarks
              seemed they were getting alittle ban happy about the most peculiar things

Comment

Bob is the straw that stirs the drink.

Bob is the goat that gives the milk.

Bob is the one who keeps the mods in line.

Bob is the one who is good with the ladies.

Comment

Funny - I don't recognize myself in all that, but I guess it must be true, except for the goat part.
                  NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

Comment

+1000 for Bob, great guy.

An honor and a pleasure to meet him in person in my hometown.

Still looking for my wallet. I think that crotch grab might have been a distraction rather than genuine affection.....

Terry D.
                    Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

+1000 for Bob, great guy.

Still looking for my wallet. I think that crotch grab might have been a distraction rather than genuine affection.....

Terry D.

Nah, Terry, you know I really lubs ya, man!

In a manly way, of course!

Comment

Well, anthropologists are still arguing over what the recently discovered "hobbits" from Flores Island in Indonesia represent. The skeletons dated to 18000 years ago are only 1-meter-tall with a small skull containing a grapefruit-sized brain. Some think these folks were suffering from a kind of congenital microcephly and/or dwarfism derived from genetic inbreeding of a small island population and competition for resources. Others think they are holdovers from an early Homo erectus population (that became extinct everywhere else hundreds of thousands of years ago) or perhaps a separate hominid offshoot. This isn't in my area, but I favor the dwarfism and microcephly hypothesis because it seems more likely than the survival of primitive holdouts. I guess they need to do more work!

The issue is complicated by politics, with the Indonesian archaeologists unwilling to let outsiders have access to the bones.

The debate goes on in today's paper :

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/hobbit-or-not-book-tests-the-tooth-of-the-matter/2008/04/26/1208743326650.html

Seems to highlight an unfortunate modern truth that even scientists like their 15 minutes of fame - probably because you may do brilliant science and earn a pittance while a book with an outrageous premise can be a nice little earner. Oh, and ego as noted in the article.
                        Website http://forcepics.net63.net

Comment

Thanks again, Bob.

Your the top of the pops!

Comment

The man knows what to do with a pile of rocks.
                            http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...1330893693.png

Comment

Hey, has anyone seen Harry-L around lately?

We're practically neighbors!

Comment

Wow, talk about archaeological sites! This just keeps on accumulating layers!

Yeah, what happened to Harry?

Comment

Working...
                                X