No announcement yet.

Mandolin

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandolin

Yes, mandolin. After all these years, I'm in the process of learning to play the mandolin. The problem is...everything seems backwards on the mandolin. But, it really is a lot of fun to play. I know...I'm getting old.

Oh yeah...here's a pic.

strap2.jpg

Attached Files

Well, it is 'backwards' if you tune it to the correct tuning [GDAE]...I just started learning violin, so I know exactly what you mean [same tuning]...plus I have to work out the whole bow thing; it was a New Years Resolution to learn a totally new instrument (last time it was ukelele, which turned out to not be totally new) this year. I don't expect to be performing with it in a year, but able to feel comfortable with it at least. I went with the electric to spare the family the squeaking and sawing...turns out, I got past that in a day...

"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
    "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

• GPLAYER
      GPLAYER commented
      Editing a comment

daddymack wrote:

Well, it is 'backwards' if you tune it to the correct tuning [GDAE]...I just started learning violin, so I know exactly what you mean [same tuning]...plus I have to work out the whole bow thing; it was a New Years Resolution to learn a totally new instrument (last time it was ukelele, which turned out to not be totally new) this year. I don't expect to be performing with it in a year, but able to feel comfortable with it at least. I went with the electric to spare the family the squeaking and sawing...turns out, I got past that in a day...

Yep, same tuning. If I ever get this right, I might try the violin (fiddle). Even though I'm struggling with the mandolin, I really am having fun using my guitar skills to play these weird chord and scale configurations. I can actually fake it enough to get some kind of musical tones out of it that sound like a song.

Working...
X