X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey woodworkers!

My daughter sent my wife an unfinished  30" maple lazy Susan. My wife has been wanting one for along time to use for serving Chinese food. Traditionally in China each person has a bowl and all the different dishes are on a lazy susan. Each person takes a small about from each dish as it passes by on the rotating wheel.

My question is, how should I finish it? Hot dishes will be set on it, and food dropped on it will have to be cleaned off with a damp rag.

NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

I wouldn't worry about it too much, the temperatures are not that great and the food will vanish pretty quickly but if you're really worried you could paint a coat of see through resin on it but ageing is all part of the charm.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Professor Tom</div>

Comment

• Smilin' Bob
      Smilin' Bob commented
      Editing a comment

Hey Tom,

The this was made in Virginia and here we are in the high desert where the humidity can get really low. I'm not concerned with marks, but I want to protect from drying out. Would tung or teak oil be good for it?

I'd use urethane.

Comment

me, I would find a light stain to show off the grain and then multi-coat with urethane, sanding between coats.

_"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminant period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Comment

I'd go with Polyurethane...and then CALL OUT for Chinese...then you'll have polystrene to protect the finish. Unless your wife is Asian...Then screw the finish and enjoy her cooking.

www.soundcloud.com/alamojoe

Comment

• daddymack
          daddymack commented
          Editing a comment

AlamoJoe wrote:

Unless your wife is Asian...Then screw the finish and enjoy her cooking.

I think you got that backwards...

Working...
      X