I know nothing. Best way for guitar to PC?

Tomarse

• Members

Ello

Off to uni and I don't really want to bring my amp and would much rather use my PC. I've always been plug into my amp and start plucking about and I know absolutely nothing about the equipment or software I'll need...a line 6 pod or something, would that be any good?

Wondering if you guys could help a clueless fellow like myself and recommend a decent (cheapish) setup. Bonus points if it includes basic software which maybe I can record with.

Cheers

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
[uSER=658630]badpenguin[/uSER] - how do you deal with latency issues with Audacity? Mine are awful' date=' and yeah I installed ASIO4All.[/quote']

I take it you are running Windows if you are getting latency issues.

There are steps you can take to streamline Windows so your computer has more resources available for recording.

Here is one example…

http://www.presonus.com/community/Learn/Optimizing-Windows-Vista-and-Windows-7-for-Music-Production

I would suggest you search for your specific version of Windows and whatever you are using for an interface.

• Members

I'm fortunate enough to have multiple platforms -- I literally have zero issues with IOS / iPad, but Windows has been terribly frustrating.

At the moment I am working through DL'ing Auria stems for post-pro work on a Windows machine, but as far as direct-input it's comically poor. Windows 7, quad processor. I do enough 'other' stuff from that machine that I know it's not a hardware issue - it's a resource management issue from within Windows.

I installed ASIO4All drivers, only to find that they demand that the input and output be the same port, which is silly if you're using a USB input and monitoring via your soundcard output. I could reconnect, but that's an inconvenience.

Oddly, the one 'easy' latency-free signal route I've gotten so far in Windows is USB in > Amplitube > secondary audio out, all via ASIO.

• Members

I'm going to cross-post a bunch, including this. Sorry if it's TMI.

************************************************************************************************

I know there's been previous discussion, but wish to go on a fishing trip to see where people are currently. I'm an aged, recent convert to DAWs and digital recording. Like many, my gateway was iPad, where I am using an iRig Pro Duo into Auria with various plugins. I use the iRig Pro's monitor outs, and have had literally no issues with latency or connectivity. As in none, whatsoever.

Storage is an issue, and I have a bunch of Windows desktop machines around, so I thought: "OK, let's use the iRig to get working on PC's. I have storage galore."

Latency issues abound, and cruising around the web has me wishing to know the answer to what seems a simple question: is anyone able to easily record no/ultra-low latency projects in Windows without connectivity/driver setting acrobatics? I will put the details of my current status below, but if you don't feel like reading that, I'm glad to have a plain-jane answer to the previous question.

**********************************************************************************************

Details:

Currently, I'm using the iRig Pro Duo interface into a USB port on a six year old Acer that has a nice quad processor and 4GB of RAM. The Acer has handled significant processing load before without complaint (gaming while listening to audio in the b/g, etc.). My outbound sounds go from the Acer's soundcard to a large soundsystem, and for a variety of reasons I'd really prefer to not have to deattach/reattach that connection. WIndows 7 running; updated. May go to Windows 10 the next few days.

First experience was trying WDM direct as the driver straight into Audacity. OK, that won't work. Implemented various internet tips for resource use-reduction; not a solution.

Installed Ableton Live Lite (LOL @ the dreadful interface), Amplitube, some other stuff.

Installed ASIO4All. Dismayed to see that it requires (?) the outbound sound signal to be through the same USB connecting. My interpretation of this is that if I wish to monitor via the iRig's monitors, it 'should work,' .....

Oddly, the one thing that has worked without latency is Amplitube -- with the strange provision that I direct sound out through a secondary audio out that runs to my TV set. In other words, Amplitube won't, under any circumstance, go out through my 'regular' speakers, but goes out to my TV speakers with no latency. Hmmm.

All else is silliness - adjusting buffer rates in Ableton gets me down near 5-10 ms, but that's not bearable for me as a guitarist.

​**********************************************************************************************

Any thoughts / input gratefully received.

• Members

When you say 'multiple platforms' do you mean iPad and PC or do you also have access to a Mac?

I certainly don't want to re-ignite the PC/Mac debate but I've found that Apple's CoreAudio makes everything easier. CoreAudio compliant hardware does not require the installation of drivers - it makes things truly plug and play. CoreAudio also allows simultaneous use of multiple interfaces, including the computer's built in audio which, on a Mac, is very usable.

Even though I have extensive experience working with PCs and Windows, when I started using a Mac, computer issues went away and everything was about the music.

I have an Mbox as well as a couple of AudioBox interfaces but sometimes I just run my guitar into the MacBook through an iRig HD and use the computer's built in audio output with no issues at all.

• Members
multi effects through pc speakers is the simplest setup i can think of. i used this for a while but it doesnt sound so good.

The Boss ME-25 multi-effecs processor (approx $200) works as a USB interface and comes with SONAR LE recording software. Playback of recordings done on the computer can be played back (in stereo) through the ME-25 into headphones, guitar amplifiers or monitor speakers.

http://www.bossus.com/products/me-25/

Archived