About This Forum

Anderton

• Members

I'm starting to feel that there's a new type of guitar coming into being, and a new type of guitarist. The one who uses a VG-99, or Dark Fire. Who carries a guitar rack in a laptop and plugs into a mixer...who records directly into a DAW via FireWire or USB, or whose studio consists of something like a DigiTech GNX4. And then there are the guitarists who use loopers to do cool improvisational stuff onstage.

Now, this isn't necessarily better or worse than taking that guitar and plugging it into a glorious tube amp. In fact, I just bought a Peavey Windsor Studio because I reviewed it for EQ and fell in love with the sound and the recording options! And I assure you I am TOTALLY into the whole amp sim thing. But, there are the right tools for the right time. In my studio, miking an amp works. When gigging in Europe, carrying a laptop, or an AdrenaLinn for that matter, works.

So, here's a place where we can all share tips and info. I'd like to keep this on-topic as much as possible. I'm not expecting it to tear up the board with posts initially, but I think this will grow over time to take its place - perhaps a minority place, but a place nonetheless - alongside the Electric and Acoustic guitar forums.

Of course, clips are always appreciated :) :)

• Members

Wow- just discovered this forum - very cool!

I've been into this kind of thing for a long time. I'm on my third Roland guitar synth (GR33) and recently picked up a VG-99, both of which I use for creating ambient music along with an arsenal of synths, modules, effects, Sustainiac, Ebow, etc. I'll be checking out this forum frequently. Thanks Craig.

samples of my music:

www.myspace.com/michaeldiamondmusic

• Members

You're very welcome. The response has really surprised me - I hope this can become the first place on the net where people stop for info on high-tech guitar.

I've also been very pleased with the level of expertise here - we have some posters who really know their stuff.

• Members

very cool man, I've been moving away from pedals and amps and my laptop has been increasingly more important over the last year, it will be nice to have a dedicated spot for go to questions on this kinda of stuff

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This forum is a welcome addition - I have a small arsenal of amps - 3 small tubers and 3 SS but lately have gone totally digital. Am using a Boss GS-10 as my Interface and also using a lot of it's built-in amp sims and effects. I also use Amplitube 2, X-Gear, Guitar Rig 3 and Overloud's TH1.1. I usually run everything through Logic 8 (Mac) and even use a lot of this as my nightly practice setup... I'm actually enjoying my Computer as my Amp. I don't gig anymore and it's so easy to just plug my guitar into my interface and with all the computer amps & effects, plug-ins, etc., I'm having a ball!

I belong to a lot of forums dealing with Amp Modeling and really do feel that it's the wave of the future in recording - it's the 21st century and even though I LOVE MY REAL AMPS - digital isn't bad at all!

• Members

I saw this forum like ten minutes ago and thought "OH {censored} THEY'VE CAUGHT ON!"

I started doing some pretty out there MIDI guitar stuff but I was hoping to keep it under wraps for a while longer...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

Great forum idea - I am a Cool Jammer from way back rejoining the HC community. I have a VG strat (amongst others) and would love to know if there are any patches out there that I could use to make the tunings more useable - ie add Eb, Open E/D, take away Baritone and DADGAD, etc.

Archived