Cheap MIDI guitar SONUUS G2M $100

Hard Truth

• Members

I just got the SONUUS G2M UNIVERSAL GUITAR TO MIDI CONVERTER $99.00. The first low cost midi guitar option that I know of. Its monophonic only. It works OK, but not perfectly. Your playing techniques do need to be modified to make it track reliably. It is a lot of fun for the price. I'll probably have more to say about it after I have used it some more.

• Members

In response to my OP (in the electric guitar forum) I received this message in my e-mail:

It works with guitar any pretty much anything in the guitar range of notes, E2 to E6. That's why its called the G2M (Guitar to Midi)

For bass guitar - stay tuned for news.

For maximum tracking efficiency, zero the tone control on your guitar, a less harmonically rich signal speeds up the midi conversion process.

If you want to use it live and want to switch between the regular guitar signal and Midi, here is a suggestion:

_______Guitar

_________/ _________

____A/B Footswitch

___/___________/

__Leg A________Leg B

___/___________/

Guitar FX__ ____EQ Pedal

___/___________/

Guitar Amp____Sonuus G2M

_______________/

____________Synth/Keyboard

_______________/

___________Keyboard Amp/PA

In the above scenario, pull the highs out on the EQ pedal, that allows you to play your guitar as you normally would, but still have the harmonic content of your sound optimized for Midi conversion on leg B of the A/B switch.

Heres a video which runs through the basic functions:

http://www.petersontuners.com/videoc...cfm?videoID=48

Best regards,

John Norris

Peterson Electro-Musical Products, Inc.

• Members

In response I wrote:

Thanks. I already observed that cutting the highs helped with tracking. Interestingly, but not too surprising, it works best with my jazz box (Ibanez Artcore) than it did with a Strat. I have not tried compressing yet, does that help much?

John Norris reponded:

Many guitarists are unaware of those few points, even though it seems obvious to you and I.

Compression will help to keep the signal level steady into the G2M for "synth" type patches, but the G2M is velocity sensitive as well and for some sampled acoustic instrument sounds like brass, more dynamic range from the guitar signal would be an advantage.

On the Artcore, besides being less trebly than the Strat, its humbuckers put out more juice so the fundamental tone is stronger, which will speed up the Midi conversion.

If you switch your Strat to its neck pickup, zero both tone controls and switch the G2M's boost control on, you should get a similar result.

The G2M opens up a lot of possibilities for small bucks, not a lot of products can deliver such a bang for the buck, and it would be a shame for guitarists to miss out just because they lacked a little info from the get-go.

Quite a few guitarists use the G2M, among them Pat Metheny and Adrian Belew.

• Members

As I posted elsewhere, I have one and it does a good job, but don't expect miracles (or chords!).

I plan to experiment with pre-processing going in, with compression and EQ, to see if I can make it bulletproof. With the octave dividers in amp sims, I usually precede them with a shelving filter to take off the highs, and add some compression.

• Members

everything old is new again!

I mean these are the classic strategies for tracking (get a nice consistent waveform with a strongly identifiable fundamentlal)

so maybe an olde skewl revisit?

Interesting app (while it's not guitar, it may help the general discussion) floating around here somewhere on HC (I thnk mainly in FX) is a bassoon player using G2M

• Members

FWIW - The old Boss DR-5 Dr Rhythm does a Mono pitch to MIDI conversion too - just use its 1/4" input - connect to guitar or microphone, and out comes MIDI Data via the 5 pin DIN MIDI Out.

I had one of those. Hopefully, this tracks a bit better...

Archived