How well do the GSP 1101/RP1000/RP500 cut through the mix?

ruppert240

• Members

Im a tube guy, I do have a modeling amp (flextone III) that I use for recording. I took this amp to practice recently as i didn't feel like lugging my ac30 and a bunch of pedals. unfortunately no matter what I do I cant get that amp to cut through the mix, with the ac30 its easy as pie. How well does the new digitech stuff cut through?

• Members

I use a GSP1101 plugged into a Carvin BX500, just using it as a poweramp.

I am not really an AC30 guy, but it cut through and sounded pretty darn good. Every other modeler I have tried have had problems. Either too muddy, or too harsh, or didn't cut or was just crappy. Then on top of that it felt like I was playing a recording or something. These are Line6, Behringer, Zoom, etc.

The GSP1101 feels great, sounds great. For tube comparison, I have a Mesa MKIII, Sovtek MIG100, ENGL Powerball, ENGL E530. Plus or minus they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but the tones I was getting out of the GSP1101 wasn't a "digital" or steril or close enough, it was like playing a real amp. But you also absolutely need to get the C48 beta firmware too.

I also have an RP500 which is great too, not as many routing options though. It also doesn't have a lot of output, so you need to have an additional preamp of some kind if you want to use a pro power amp.

With the new setup I have only been rehearsing so far. But I got two gigs this weekend to try it out on. Man it is sweet, so much less to carry and really easy to set-up.

I haven't tried the AxeFX, but I hear great things.

• Members

Our guitarist (ned911 on here) uses a GSP1101 and it cuts really nicely. Actually better than his PODxt Pro did (though personally I never had problems cutting with my PODs, Flextone II Plus or Vetta).

Brian V.

cool. I can get the flextone to cut, but then it sounds like ass and is too loud.

• Members

I use a GSP1101 plugged into a Carvin BX500, just using it as a poweramp.

I am not really an AC30 guy, but it cut through and sounded pretty darn good. Every other modeler I have tried have had problems. Either too muddy, or too harsh, or didn't cut or was just crappy. Then on top of that it felt like I was playing a recording or something. These are Line6, Behringer, Zoom, etc.

The GSP1101 feels great, sounds great. For tube comparison, I have a Mesa MKIII, Sovtek MIG100, ENGL Powerball, ENGL E530. Plus or minus they all have their strengths and weaknesses, but the tones I was getting out of the GSP1101 wasn't a "digital" or steril or close enough, it was like playing a real amp. But you also absolutely need to get the C48 beta firmware too.

I also have an RP500 which is great too, not as many routing options though. It also doesn't have a lot of output, so you need to have an additional preamp of some kind if you want to use a pro power amp.

With the new setup I have only been rehearsing so far. But I got two gigs this weekend to try it out on. Man it is sweet, so much less to carry and really easy to set-up.

I haven't tried the AxeFX, but I hear great things.

I havent played an Axe yet either, the thing I hate the most about the line 6 stuff is the feel. It has none! they are good for recroding, but thats about it. I played an rp500 and it definitely feels much more amp like!

sucks about the outp.

I was planning on using the rp1000/rp500 either in the loop of one of my amps or into a rocktron velocity&4x12.

• Members

Well it really depends on the power amp. "Pro" amps tend to be +4dBu. But some guitar amps and guitar related gear can actually handle much lower levels to be flexible with pedals and such.

So it might be just fine. If it isn't, what I have been using lately with my RP500 is an EQ pedal to boost the output. Then I get an EQ pedal there too to quickly sculpt the tone for different rooms/cabinets/etc.

• Members

This is a video of my band playing three weeks ago or so. The lead line throughout is played with a GSP 1101 through a direct box, no amp and no other equipment on the signal chain. I am not claiming that its the best sound or anything, just that here is an example of a naked 1101 live with no help at all mixed with a full band on stage. I posted this in Backstage with the band a couple of weeks ago. Hope it helps!

Archived