the new TYLER Variax!

Bobby D

• Members

Rich is at Messe right now showing the new James Tyler designed VARIAX :love:

"Right now I am at the Musikmesse trade show in Frankfurt, Germany with our new product, the James Tyler Variax. It is real exciting and I don't want to spam. So if you see any threads start about it or if you start one, I want to be there for you guys and your questions."

http://tylervariax.com/

http://facebook.com/variaxguitars

http://twitter.com/variaxguitars

http://tylervariax.com/feed/

i can't wait to try one of these. always been a fan of James Tyler guitars, as well as the Variax electronics.......seems like a good match!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

With the exception of the gaudy headstocks (which I've always found hideous, aesthetically), James Tyler makes some of the finest guitars in the world - to have his impeccable craftsmanship merged with the ever-so-awesome technology of Variax is just a dream come true to me.

I heard the rumor that Tyler was working with Line 6 in late '08 or early '09 and I remember thinking, "WOW".

So nice to know it was true! Can't wait to try the guitars!

Brian V.

• Members

[MUSIK MESSE 2010] - Line6 - James Tyler Variax - GTV 59 - KOREAN

[MUSIK MESSE 2010] - Line6 - James Tyler Variax - GTV 89 US

The Korean Variax 2 Models will be street priced between $1099-1299, Tyler USA Models start at $3600 - Due Summer 2010.

4461200128_d262947c91.jpg

4461215260_3ee77db993.jpg

Basically the new Variax 2 has:

New Alt Tune knob

Better piezo bridge,

4x more powerful DSP

Better defined Modelling

Li-Ion recharge battery

Connect VDI to PODX3 and have separate Amp types for Variax DSP Models and Mag PU Output

This video explains:

• Members

i REALLY like that the alt tuning is now a separate knob, so you can do alt tunings with whatever model you like :love:

full disclosure....i am a Line 6 endorser, and have been using Line 6 since the DL-4 was released....i was never a fan of the amps, and not until the X3 Live was i converted to the modelers. but the Dl-4 is AMAZING...and now i use the M9, which is light years better (for me) than the DL-4.

i will be getting the GTV-69 model eventually......and will be using it plugged into the X3 Live, with the m9 in the effects loop of the X3 Live.

i do a LOT of different gigs.....several different bands, ranging from full on RAWK bands, to island music like Kompa & Reggae & Soca, as well as a solo acoustic performer.

i also have been doing ambient electronic music for years under the name "stargarden"

my newest stargarden album i am getting geared up to record will be ALL GUITAR, but heavily heavily processed guitars :love:

very much looking forward to the new Tyler Variax -- i have owned several Tylers, and to ME they are the TOP superstrat style guitars ever made.

i have always liked the Variax electronics, but did not care for the guitars they were in.....NOW i will finally get to own one!

i will be doing some video demos of the new Variax as soon as i get one, and will hopefully be able to answer any questions and give you some honest feedback on the guitars.....

• Members

i am really STOKED about this new guitar. been wanting a VARIAX for years, but the guitar part of it held me back.

once i get one, i will be doing plenty of video demos and stuff with it, so let me know if you want me to demo anything in particular.

on a related note, i am getting along fabulously with the X3 Live at my gigs....

will be rawking it LIVE onstage TONITE at Sloppy Joes in Key West, 10 pm - 1 am EST, you can check it out and hear it at the sloppy joes webcam.

http://sloppyjoes.com/sloppycam/

• Members

Speaking as a Variax owner and a big Line 6 fan generally, I'm actually a bit disappointed at how little they've done here. The models are exactly the same as the ones in the original, so the only real change / addition in the modelling department is that the more powerful DSPs make the alt tunings less warbly.

Other than that, yes, it's nice to have alt tunings on a knob but it was never actually a hardship to plan out and store custom models of stuff you needed on the old Variax.

So of course, both fairly nice features, but that really seems to be it for the technology side. There's not enough there for me to justify the price at all. I'm more interested in getting another Variax 1 when they start dumping them cheap to be honest.

• Members

i REALLY like that the alt tuning is now a separate knob, so you can do alt tunings with whatever model you like
:love:

full disclosure....i am a Line 6 endorser, and have been using Line 6 since the DL-4 was released....i was never a fan of the amps, and not until the X3 Live was i converted to the modelers. but the Dl-4 is AMAZING...and now i use the M9, which is light years better (for me) than the DL-4.

i will be getting the GTV-69 model eventually......and will be using it plugged into the X3 Live, with the m9 in the effects loop of the X3 Live.

i do a LOT of different gigs.....several different bands, ranging from full on RAWK bands, to island music like Kompa & Reggae & Soca, as well as a solo acoustic performer.

i also have been doing ambient electronic music for years under the name "stargarden"

my newest stargarden album i am getting geared up to record will be ALL GUITAR, but heavily heavily processed guitars

very much looking forward to the new Tyler Variax -- i have owned several Tylers, and to ME they are the TOP superstrat style guitars ever made.

i have always liked the Variax electronics, but did not care for the guitars they were in.....NOW i will finally get to own one!

i will be doing some video demos of the new Variax as soon as i get one, and will hopefully be able to answer any questions and give you some honest feedback on the guitars.....

I'd love to hear your ambient guitar music - mine is available in the link below - all the gear is standard at the ionosphere casting shadows link but I got a VG99 last summer and have been doing lots of unusual soundscapes since but haven't publicized any of the VG stuff as yet at that link.

I'd be really interested in seeing hearing how this tech would work for ambient music use which is why I responded. I'd love to hear the 12-string emulation sounds versus the VG 12-string emulation.

So yes, bring it on!

• Members

I'd love to hear your ambient guitar music - mine is available in the link below - all the gear is standard at the ionosphere casting shadows link

but I got a VG99 last summer and have been doing lots of unusual soundscapes since but haven't publicized any of the VG stuff as yet at that link.

I'd be really interested in seeing hearing how this tech would work for ambient music use which is why I responded. I'd love to hear the 12-string

emulation sounds versus the VG 12-string emulation.

So yes, bring it on!

cool! glad you are a fellow ambient electronic fan :thu:

one of the things that attracts me to the VARIAX with the workbench software -- you can DREAM UP guitars that have configurations that would be physically impossible....

i am planning on using nearly ALL guitars on my new album, and it will be Variax >>> X3 Live >>> M9 multi effects

i think that with the combo of those three pieces, i am going to be able to create some seriously beautiful and adventurous music!

also...my gigs this past weekend at Sloppy Joes in Key West, my first live band gigs with the X3 Live, went REALLY well....the more i get the X3 Live "dialed in", the more and more I am loving it....:love:

• Members

Speaking as a Variax owner and a big Line 6 fan generally, I'm actually a bit disappointed at how little they've done here. The models are exactly the same as the ones in the original, so the only real change / addition in the modelling department is that the more powerful DSPs make the alt tunings less warbly.

Other than that, yes, it's nice to have alt tunings on a knob but it was never actually a hardship to plan out and store custom models of stuff you needed on the old Variax.

So of course, both fairly nice features, but that really seems to be it for the technology side. There's not enough there for me to justify the price at all. I'm more interested in getting another Variax 1 when they start dumping them cheap to be honest.

Having the alt tuning seperated from model storage is HUGE imo. It means you have a ton more options tonally.

I was always pleased with the actual tonality of the modelling itself. The acoustics sound fantastic, and it seems as if they will be much 'tighter' now when alternately tuned. On the original variax's, including the 700 Acoustic, using alternate tuning would diminish/weaken the tone of each string the more dramatic the altering/shifting. If they have fixed this with more dsp, it will be a tremendous improvement and worth the cost.

I would however really like to see a nylon string model included, they have it already in the 700 acoustic. OR make it available in workbench as a guitar body if its an issue of not having enough slots on the model knob.

• Members

cool! glad you are a fellow ambient electronic fan
:thu:

one of the things that attracts me to the VARIAX with the workbench software -- you can DREAM UP guitars that have configurations that would be physically impossible....

i am planning on using nearly ALL guitars on my new album, and it will be Variax >>> X3 Live >>> M9 multi effects

i think that with the combo of those three pieces, i am going to be able to create some seriously beautiful and adventurous music!

also...my gigs this past weekend at Sloppy Joes in Key West, my first live band gigs with the X3 Live, went REALLY well....the more i get the X3 Live "dialed in", the more and more I am loving it....

You're in LVX Nova! I didn't see that at first. Cool that you're still out there. I suppose we're the only two guys out there who think Edgar Froese was an awesome guitarist, easily as good if not better than David Gilmour but that's another thread for another time.

OK, gotta get my ears on!

• Members

You're in LVX Nova! I didn't see that at first. Cool that you're still out there. I suppose we're the only two guys out there who think Edgar Froese was an awesome guitarist, easily as good if not better than David Gilmour but that's another thread for another time.

OK, gotta get my ears on!

yes....that's me :thu:

it was cool being on the same label as Tangerine Dream for a few years.

our second album was really good......and here's the KILLER....it stil makes me sad to think about it....

the label was gonna fly us to Abbey Road and have ALAN PARSONS mix it. :cry::cry::cry:

but....that's how it goes in the music biz sometimes...

i still want to finish that second album and release it one day.

Magnatune.com currently has LVX Nova, so it is still "out" as a release...

but back to the VARIAX.....i am gonna REALLY dig into that thing when i get it, and my new "stargarden" album is going to be nearly 100% guitars.....but heavily processed.....so i think the Variax will be EXCELLENT for that.

i am really looking forward to the JTV-69 guitar, and using it with the POD X3 Live and M9......that is going to be a very simple, yet very powerful rig :thu:

• Members

Alan Parsons! Wow, that would have been awesome. Stuff falls thru in the music biz. Seems like if the suits are having a bad day they scuttle dreams just to make themselves feel better. Sheesh.

That being said, my previous rig I was actually doing live solo ambient guitar concerts at bookstores, science fiction conventions, basically anybody who would have me. I've totally revamped the rig and can't wait to see how it works now, I'd love to do a surround sound like ambient guitar thing but I'm not really quite there yet..

I definetely will be trying the variax guitars when they become easily try-out-able to see how they play. The LP guitar reminds me of an Aria PE-80 a bit, not a bad look.

• Members

Alan Parsons! Wow, that would have been awesome. Stuff falls thru in the music biz. Seems like if the suits are having a bad day they scuttle dreams just to make themselves feel better. Sheesh.

That being said, my previous rig I was actually doing live solo ambient guitar concerts at bookstores, science fiction conventions, basically anybody who would have me. I've totally revamped the rig and can't wait to see how it works now, I'd love to do a surround sound like ambient guitar thing but I'm not really quite there yet..

I definetely will be trying the variax guitars when they become easily try-out-able to see how they play. The LP guitar reminds me of an Aria PE-80 a bit, not a bad look.

i have a handful of gigs where they like me to do "ambient" style music on guitar, and i LOVE those gigs.

i use the M9 as a looper (used to use the DL-4), and basically do long looped "pieces" that sort of blend in with the venue. i find it to be very liberating NOT having to be the point of focus for the gig.

surround sound would be AMAZING......can you imagine being able to do actual 4 way sound with speakers in each corner of the room?:eek:

i am really looking forward to digging into the VARIAX using the WORKBENCH software, and designing some guitar models that could not exist in reality.

it's gonna be a fun journey getting this next record done, and i am going to try and document the process as much as possible by doing video demos and writing a blog about it as i go.

:thu:

• Members

That is great, those guys will need guys to buy them. They were significant and important guitars and will remain so, so I am happy that you will be happy with Vax I.

BTW, couple things you didn't point out is the fact that the models all sound much better because the DSP horsepower brings clarity and speed to the current models and the fact that you get full models with alt tuning. So when you alt tune, you don't loose clarity in the model.

• Members

Oh, and that strat-style one is as ugly as sin.

Many many people disagree and think that the shred is the ugly. :)

That is why there are three different models that have three different feels and all together many different looks.

• Members

Rich,

Glad you are finally able to communicate about the new Variax II, without us all having to sign an NDA and swear to secrecy! ;)

I plan to purchase the tremolo model - although I do wish to test the Les Paul type as well, as that is the platform I'm most used to performing with (24 3/4" scale)

We have an independent forum of guitarists who think outside the traditional world of guitarists at Future Guitar Now,and cover aspects of the Variax in our Forums, for sharing tips and tricks.

Check it out

http://www.futureguitarnow.com/forum/index.php

http://www.futureguitarnow.com/forum/index.php?action=forum

http://www.futureguitarnow.com/forum/index.php?board=53.0

Archived