Effectology How to recreate "Doctor Who" on Guitar

baranger1

• Members

How to recreate "Doctor Who" on Guitar

Electro-Harmonix Effectology, Vol.16 "Doctor Who"

In this episode I recreate the original 1963 "Doctor Who" theme using just a guitar and effect pedals.

I also show all the individual pedal settings at the EHX forum listed below.

7030eBlAZws

Pedal settings and how-to:

http://www.ehx.com/forums/viewthread/3258/

The entire series can be viewed here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Effectology#p/u

Thanks for watching!

Bill Ruppert

• Members

Thanks
I should have done the Tartis.
I left it out.
That elephant type noise would have been fun to do.
I went right to analog delay feedback fun!
Thanks for watching.
Bill

yeah--pretty cool --- the Tartis sound isn't really there though. Very impressive stuff

• Members

i remember the elephant sound EVH made --- harmonics at the 5th, 7th, and 12th fret with the volume off and whammy bar down and then roll the volume up and release the whammy.

listening to the tartis sound -- maybe can be done with a pick scrape on the low E since there is a scratchiness to it with some delay and reverb and maybe some kind of slight phasing ... idk

i know-everyone is an expert!!! lol :o) I just like Dr Who!

what you do is really amazing though..incredible how you get all the nuances of these sounds

• Members

Cool!

That is what I would try.

Maybe pitch shift the pick scrape.

Listening to the original, it sounds like a metal garage door being opened and then distorted.

It was Delia Derbyshire so ANYTHING is possible.

I watched a Doctor Who on PBS last night with David Tennant.

MAN was it good!!!! So much going on.

I love it and wait all week for Sunday when its on.

Thanks CVOR!

Bill

i remember the elephant sound EVH made --- harmonics at the 5th, 7th, and 12th fret with the volume off and whammy bar down and then roll the volume up and release the whammy.

listening to the tartis sound -- maybe can be done with a pick scrape on the low E since there is a scratchiness to it with some delay and reverb and maybe some kind of slight phasing ... idk

i know-everyone is an expert!!! lol
:o
) I just like Dr Who!

what you do is really amazing though..incredible how you get all the nuances of these sounds

• Members

I like the new Dr too (the new one with the Daleks though was pretty horrible though).... my favorite is Christopher Eckleson though.. I agree with the music....i like the original too

• Members
I like the new Dr too (the new one with the Daleks though was pretty horrible though).... my favorite is Christopher Eckleson though.

I agree, Daleks was weak. I've enjoyed the latest about the weeping angels.

Eckleson is great, as is Tennant. Both brought a fantastic energy and their own emotionality to the part that was fantastic. I think I might prefer Tennant overall, but it depends on the episode! :) I thought the relationship between Tennant's 10th doctor and the Master was perfect, much as I thought the relationship between Eccleston and Jack Harkness (Borrowman) was perfect.

I agree with the music....i like the original too

What's particularly unfortunate is that Murray Gold, a very talented composer, did what I felt was a very good job of modernizing and energizing the classic Doctor Who theme for the new series (Eccleston and Tennant years). Since he did such a good job previously, I was particularly surprised and disappointed that his current revamping of the theme is so...cheesy.

I can only imagine that he was instructed to give the theme a modern British teenage bubblegum pop feel, and did the best he could with his instructions. There have been various years of Doctor Who in which the theme has been cheesier than other years, and its usually because they chased the "hip" sound of the time. I predict that this series (series five) will be one of those eras.

But the classic theme is timeless, and Bill's version rocks! Now I just need to teach myself the notes! :)

Orren

Archived