Arcade Button Killswitch..

Shanbo

• Members

I figured this would be a better place to post this question than in the General Electric Guitar forum, but if not, feel free to move/edit this :D

Hey guys, first post here and I need some technical advice. I used to have an old Epiphone Flying V that I used to try out some different modding bits n' pieces. It was so old and cheap that it was perfect to tinker about with without having to worry about breaking it up badly. I had a killswitch in it with the same stock-standard red button everyone uses.

Now I have a shiny new Jackson that I kinda wanna put a Killswitch in, but at the same time, I don't want to use that awful looking red button again. Problem being, there's not many variants out there to be found, so I came up with a bit of a weird idea that would work out perfectly if I could manage it. I just dunno how to go about it.

I was thinking about old Arcade machines. The big round buttons come in all colours, like black, that would look fairly inconspicuous on the face of a tobacco sunburst Jackson. As well as being nice and big and having that nice loose feeling that arcade buttons had, making it easy to do the 3 and 4 finger rolls over it. :L I just don't know what kind of button the arcade machines used. I'm guessing they're some sort of digital button as apposed to the momentary switch that I need for a killswitch.

So, question is, does anybody know what kind of buttons they are and does anybody know how I'd go about changing it into the type of switch I need?

Thanks guys. :D

• Members

I never even though of that haha, thanks man. :D But I know nothing about electronics. Do you know which one out of those variants is the right one for a killswitch? From what I've seen from googling, HAPP seems to be the right one. Can anyone confirm that?

Only problem from what I can see in the pics is the size of the switch. Looks like I might need to drill a pretty big fkn hole to get that thing in there, or widen my tone pot quite a bit. I just took my tone pot out of the Epiphone because I never used it.

The thoughts of a black arcade button with a blue LED underneath is seriously sounding awesome to me though hahah :D

• Members

Bumping this with an update.

photo0042_display.jpg

I bought it from the site Hurtzher suggested and it's perfect. I'm gonna bring it to the local hardware guy and see if he'll route the tone pot bigger for me or maybe even an entirely new hole for it. It's so perfect man. It's just a loose as I wanted it to be. I thought it was gonna be too long to fit, but it's short enough to go into the cavity. I'm so pleased. I'll definitely be posting a video of it after it's done. I might do a little vlog tonight so I can do a pre/post type thing. Thanks for all the help guys. :D

• Members

Is it a momentary open or momentary closed switch? I put a killswitch in one of my guitars and I remember that was something to consider. I think you want momentary open so that the signal is running until the button is pushed.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Oh {censored} hahaha. I came up with something Buckethead came up with without even knowing :D

Sup guys, I'm back. Need some advice this time. I'm bumping this because it's the same dilemma. I really don't feel like spending

• Members

I use these in my strat. They wear out fairly quick though so I might move to something else. But, they're great for kill swtich. Uber fast with a click. It really only has enough thread to be used on a pickguard though.

N/O = normally open

N/C = normally closed

The switches I posted have both

• Members

Check these out. This might very well be what I install in my guitar. Question has been sent to seller. Some of these folks have sent me samples...

Is it a momentary open or momentary closed switch? I put a killswitch in one of my guitars and I remember that was something to consider. I think you want momentary open so that the signal is running until the button is pushed.

You actually want normally closed. You open the connection when the button is pushed. Shoulda caught this earlier. Most arcade buttons I've seen are N/O.

I like these too because they're a little smaller. There's only one like them on ebay though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

So I'm kinda paranoid that it's gonna be the wrong kinda switch when I put it in, and I have no way to check it. Do you guys know if an arcade button I'd buy from a DJ site would be N/O or N/C? Is there a simple way to check using the switch or anything? I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole-hill here, but I just wanna be sure before I go drilling through my Jackson for it :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Now that is a sweet product. I'm curious as to how fast one can push the button. Have you used these?

Yup, installed one in each of my strats. As a pot its excellent. Its smooth, responsive and slightly locks in at 10 so you cant shift it out of position when tapping on it. As for the killswitch part, it takes very little travel to kill the signal so you are able to tap it pretty fast.

[video=youtube;AaNUWssGMmg]

[video=youtube;866__QJg9LQ]

I might have a spare one in my parts drawer, if so if anyone wants it they can have it for postage costs. Im based in Ireland btw.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Wow I just keep bumping this one back up haha.

Hmmm they do look cool and I'd love to try it out in my Ibanez, but the reason I'm going for the Arcade Button is because of how loose it is to press and how wide it is so I can do double and triple rolls on it with my fingers. I just don't know how to check if it's N/O or N/C. I might try hooking it up to a lightbulb or something first just to see how it works.

• Members

Do you have an ohm meter? If so, just put it across the switch conductors. If it reads a short (~0 ohms) without pushing the button, it's normally closed. When you press the switch the ohm meter would then jump up to a very high (or infinity) reading.

If it's normally open, the opposite would happen. High or infinity across the connectors until you press the button, then a very low (nearing 0 ohms) when the button is pushed.

Don't hook it to a light bulb unless you're sure it can handle that amount of AC power. I doubt it's rated for that.

rd

• Members

Great idea. :D I'm studying Sound Engineering so I'll bring it into college tomorrow and use their OHM meter. Even better, tomorrow is Live Sound day so I'm sure it'll be easy enough to find one haha.

Cheers Dave!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

You actually want normally closed. You open the connection when the button is pushed.

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!

You want normally-open. You install the switch between the signal and ground. When pressed, the switch closes, shorting the circuit to ground.

Using a normally-closed switch inline with the signal is a recipe for disaster, as any number of electrical engineers will tell you! Installed this way, pressing the switch does not result in silence - instead, it gets you that horrific BUZZ you normally get when you unplug your guitar while the amp's still on.

Not hating on you personally, just thought I should clear this up for everyone reading this :) I have a normally-open killswitch in my Strat and it works perfectly.

• Members

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!

You want normally-open. You install the switch between the signal and ground. When pressed, the switch closes, shorting the circuit to ground.

Using a normally-closed switch inline with the signal is a recipe for disaster, as any number of electrical engineers will tell you! Installed this way, pressing the switch does not result in silence - instead, it gets you that horrific BUZZ you normally get when you unplug your guitar while the amp's still on.

Not hating on you personally, just thought I should clear this up for everyone reading this
:)
I have a normally-open killswitch in my Strat and it works perfectly.

I'm not an electrical engineer but... I actually consulted two electrical engineers I worked with the time. The only thing they cautioned me about was to make sure it's on the 'hot' side. When I use high gain, you can hear a little buzzing but they also suggested putting a cap across the switch to smooth out the signal. I didn't really need to do that because it's really a minimal buzzing. And literally no buzzing on my clean channels.

A normally open switch will not let anything pass (ie the circuit is open) Try it with an ohm meter. :thu: at least where I'm putting it. So you're saying you put the switch from the positive to the ground.. Interesting. So when it closes the signal goes to ground. Humm. I'm going to ask them what they think of that next time I see them.

Archived