Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Arcade Button Killswitch..

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd recommend getting one of these http://cgi.ebay.ie/SHADOW-SH-124-250k-KILL-POT-/350456582754?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item519 8d71262

You'll retain the original looks and functions of your guitar plus you'll have your killswitch!

Comment

Now that is a sweet product. I'm curious as to how fast one can push the button. Have you used these?

Comment

Now that is a sweet product. I'm curious as to how fast one can push the button. Have you used these?

Yup, installed one in each of my strats. As a pot its excellent. Its smooth, responsive and slightly locks in at 10 so you cant shift it out of position when tapping on it. As for the killswitch part, it takes very little travel to kill the signal so you are able to tap it pretty fast.

I might have a spare one in my parts drawer, if so if anyone wants it they can have it for postage costs. Im based in Ireland btw.

Comment

That's a really nice offer. I'm surprised people aren't jumpping all over that (if they're not PMing you)

Comment

Wow I just keep bumping this one back up haha.

Hmmm they do look cool and I'd love to try it out in my Ibanez, but the reason I'm going for the Arcade Button is because of how loose it is to press and how wide it is so I can do double and triple rolls on it with my fingers. I just don't know how to check if it's N/O or N/C. I might try hooking it up to a lightbulb or something first just to see how it works.
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="center"><b>[AK58] Lock n' Level</b></div></div>

Comment

Do you have an ohm meter? If so, just put it across the switch conductors. If it reads a short (~0 ohms) without pushing the button, it's normally closed. When you press the switch the ohm meter would then jump up to a very high (or infinity) reading.

If it's normally open, the opposite would happen. High or infinity across the connectors until you press the button, then a very low (nearing 0 ohms) when the button is pushed.

Don't hook it to a light bulb unless you're sure it can handle that amount of AC power. I doubt it's rated for that.

rd

Comment

Great idea. I'm studying Sound Engineering so I'll bring it into college tomorrow and use their OHM meter. Even better, tomorrow is Live Sound day so I'm sure it'll be easy enough to find one haha.

Cheers Dave!
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="center"><b>[AK58] Lock n' Level</b></div></div>

Comment

You get it figured out?

Comment

You actually want normally closed. You open the connection when the button is pushed.

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!

You want normally-open. You install the switch between the signal and ground. When pressed, the switch closes, shorting the circuit to ground.

Using a normally-closed switch inline with the signal is a recipe for disaster, as any number of electrical engineers will tell you! Installed this way, pressing the switch does not result in silence - instead, it gets you that horrific BUZZ you normally get when you unplug your guitar while the amp's still on.

Not hating on you personally, just thought I should clear this up for everyone reading this I have a normally-open killswitch in my Strat and it works perfectly.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">...an airplane, a puppet, an orange, a spoon,<br />
                    a window, and outside: stars, and the moon.</div>

Comment

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!

You want normally-open. You install the switch between the signal and ground. When pressed, the switch closes, shorting the circuit to ground.

Using a normally-closed switch inline with the signal is a recipe for disaster, as any number of electrical engineers will tell you! Installed this way, pressing the switch does not result in silence - instead, it gets you that horrific BUZZ you normally get when you unplug your guitar while the amp's still on.

Not hating on you personally, just thought I should clear this up for everyone reading this I have a normally-open killswitch in my Strat and it works perfectly.

I'm not an electrical engineer but... I actually consulted two electrical engineers I worked with the time. The only thing they cautioned me about was to make sure it's on the 'hot' side. When I use high gain, you can hear a little buzzing but they also suggested putting a cap across the switch to smooth out the signal. I didn't really need to do that because it's really a minimal buzzing. And literally no buzzing on my clean channels.

A normally open switch will not let anything pass (ie the circuit is open) Try it with an ohm meter. at least where I'm putting it. So you're saying you put the switch from the positive to the ground.. Interesting. So when it closes the signal goes to ground. Humm. I'm going to ask them what they think of that next time I see them.

Comment

Working...
                      X