POD HD500 review...

Will Chen

• Members

Hey guys and gals!

Just posted a review of the POD HD500 over at my site. In a nutshell, pretty sweet piece of gear.

While the focus seems to be solely on the amp modeling aspect of the unit, I must also really applaud the effects implementation. Some very good stuff and the programming architecture, routing, and control assignment are best in class, even better than the infamously complex GT-10 IMHO. Especially impressive is the looper integration which really seems thought out rather than a last minute add on like the other big MFX companies. And all the synth/filter effects are simply spectacular. Nothing in a competitive price range even comes close. Things are monophonic and the focus is purely on analog synth tone, so won't quite compare with a Roland GR unit, but in some ways I like it better for glitchy lo-fi stuff.

Its got a few flaws which will have differing impact based on one's tonal needs (poor rotary/univibe, large volume differential between amp models, etc), but I feel its strengths outweigh weaknesses and imagine as the product matures it will only get better. I'd really love to see a pure clean jazz amp in the amp collection, perhaps a JC120 or Polytone. Right now, I've been bypassing the amps entirely and just using an EQ for a pure clean tone.

Any other users out there? What has been your experience?

• Members

1. CANNOT use with Humbuckers without overdriving the input of the device. This is a well talked about issue at the Line 6 Forums.

2. NO ON/OFF SWITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Fiddly implementation when trying to adjust effects.

4. cheap construction.

5. fuzz and overdrives are terrible when compared to the real thing.

6. Constant firmware updates etc...because it's never been right from the get-go. Boss issued ONE firmware update for the GT-10...because it works plain and simple.

Other than that, the amp models sound good and most of the effects are quite nice.

But I have no idea how you can say that the effects implementation is "better" than the GT-10. For starters, the GT-10 has tons MORE effects than the POD. ANd the MIDI implementation of the GT-10 (as with all BOSS/ROLAND gear) is superb. I'm not talking about the SOUND of the units, just the feature set. Where the POD kicks the CRAP out of the GT-10 is in three areas:

1. Amp modeling (by a long shot!)

2. STEREO EFFECTS LOOP (Boss- seriously? WTF? why no stereo loop??)

3. Dedicated software editor and USB updater software. (Boss-are you listening? WHY NO SOFTWARE FOR THE GT-10???)

ANd currently that is why I have the POD...but I have felt the need to buy pedals again, where I didn't so much with the GT-10.

• Members

Other than that, the amp models sound good and most of the effects are quite nice.

But I have no idea how you can say that the effects implementation is "better" than the GT-10. For starters, the GT-10 has tons MORE effects than the POD. ANd the MIDI implementation of the GT-10 (as with all BOSS/ROLAND gear) is superb. I'm not talking about the SOUND of the units, just the feature set. Where the POD kicks the CRAP out of the GT-10 is in three areas:

1. Amp modeling (by a long shot!)

2. STEREO EFFECTS LOOP (Boss- seriously? WTF? why no stereo loop??)

3. Dedicated software editor and USB updater software. (Boss-are you listening? WHY NO SOFTWARE FOR THE GT-10???)

ANd currently that is why I have the POD...but I have felt the need to buy pedals again, where I didn't so much with the GT-10.

The POD features the same parallel chain/dual amp ability of the GT-10 but you can also stack 5 delays if you want in the POD. The GT-10, flexible as it is, doesn't support more than 2 instances of a specific effect and some effects can only be used once in a patch (overdrive/distortion). I can set up a patch in the POD HD500 which would be very similar to a real board layout with say 2 tubescreamers set to different gain levels and a slapback and long delay. Both units have the ability to assign anything to pretty much anything, but the expression pedal of the POD HD500 can be toggled to control 2 independent parameters via the toe switch, kind like having 2 different expression pedals. I don't believe the POD can assign more than 2 parameters to a switch though compared the the GT's 8 (if my memory serves me well). Can't speak to the MIDI implementation as I never used it on the GT, but the POD's MIDI implementation looks pretty robust with the ability to assign CC messages to all the different switches and expression pedal.

More effects? I don't know really. The GT-10 does beat the POD in quality (do to having more control) of compressors and rotary/univibe effects. But I think the POD actually beats the GT-10 in filter/synth/ambient effects. The selection is different, that's for sure, taste will dictate which serves one better.

• Members

Flimsy construction? I think we'll have to see the failure rate to make a determination there.

If the frame of reference is a Boss unit, these are usually built like tanks. Although my Roland GR-33 felt a bit cheap due to the plastic, I've been impressed by the sturdiness of the GT-10, VG-88, and FC-300, for example.

I have not tried the POD so I can't comment on that one. In general I don't like Line6's sounds. I did use my POD Farm 2 recently as part of an acoustic emulation. I've always felt that they focus on quantity while sacrificing sound quality, but perhaps that has changed.

• Members

Phil-

Try stacking 5 delays...you know what you will get? The POD will politely tell you it's out of memory. Yep. It's BULL{censored} in advertising, though it is smart engineering- I get it. But the BOSS doesn't bother with that. Another thing that you fail to mention is amp models that just disappear. Yep. It's happened to me twice now, and it is becoming a known bug- You are playing along and all of a sudden the sound just stops- WTF? I dunno, change patches- oh the sound is back...now go back to the patch you were using. Whew! It's back. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER in 20 years have I had a Boss multieffect (I've owned several incarnations of the GT's) and had the amp model/sound just "disappear" and need to be "reset" by toggling patches. As a long time BOSS user, I switched to the POD with the advent of the HD series, and although from an amp modeling standpoint I am quite happy with it...I have been COMPLETELY underwhelmed by the stability and quality of the POD - the lack of an on/off switch just BOGGLES my mind! I was expecting a lot more after the harsh criticisms I always read about the BOSS/Roland stuff, and your cavalier comparison of the GT-10/POD effects implementation has left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth. I had the GT-10 and a VG-99, also a GT-8, VG-88 (v2.0) and a GT-6 - not to mention Boss SE-50, SE-70 etc... The POD and Line 6 have done some things VERY well, like building a community around their brand and offering dedicated software tools for their units- and YES, their amp modeling is some of the best out there- I would even go so far as to say that some of their effects models are also SPOT ON, where Boss always gives you "their version" of an effect, but the BOSS units are kind of like a "workstation" that requires lots of tweaking and infinite possibilities (a strength and weakness!) and the PODs are kind of like "here is a model of this particular thing, either you like our model or not..." which is also a strength and weakness. BOSS has a lot to learn from Line 6 - dedicated software editing, USB updates, stereo effects loop, etc... but Line 6 NEEDS to address their reliability and construction if they want to be taken seriously as a gigging tool. Can you IMAGINE playing out and having that amp model disappear on you like it does??? Holy :eek: and this is not just me saying this- this is a known issue at the Line 6 forums. My only comfort is that Line 6 actively listens to their user base and updates things in the firmware...my concern is...that they have to!

.02 and remember, at the end of the day...I'm a POD HD500 user. ;)

• Members

Wow, I had not heard of the disappearing amp bug. That's cause for major concern. I've not experienced that yet (and hope I don't). Just to clarify, IMHO in no way does the POD HD go toe to toe with the GT-10 regarding effect programing depth and the GT-10 certainly beats the pants off POD in a handful of key effects. And I agree completely regarding the modeling philosophy, in the rainbow of reality when it comes to modeling Line 6 strives for absolute realism (at times way overshooting or missing entirely and at others rather limiting to a fault, but when they're on, they're on like Donkey Kong!), Digitech presents idealized versions (and yet often nailing things), while Boss generally gives their stylized versions (sometimes far from accurate, but sounding good none the less).

Given that frame of reference, the POD HD500 has taken the effects routing strengths I loved of the GT-10 and one upped things by allowing multiple instances of effects. I realize the DSP limit can be hit somewhat easily, but I much prefer the flexibility of this new Line 6 approach (actually mirroring the old school Digitech approach) than the traditional one-effect-from-each-group approach.

I loved the GT-10 when I had it. In fact, it was my yearning for the flexibility of the GT-10 which actually lead me to audition the HD500. Coming in on firmware 1.2, perhaps I've missed some of the instability some have experienced but I agree entirely that Line 6's beta testing doesn't come close to Roland/Boss. But by comparison, Line 6 as a company is a baby as well. Hopefully, they'll learn from their mistakes and mature to the level of Boss/Roland in the future while continuing to improve their modeling methodology.

• Members

Given that frame of reference, the POD HD500 has taken the effects routing strengths I loved of the GT-10 and one upped things by allowing multiple instances of effects. I realize the DSP limit can be hit somewhat easily, but I much prefer the flexibility of this new Line 6 approach (actually mirroring the old school Digitech approach) than the traditional one-effect-from-each-group approach.

I loved the GT-10 when I had it. In fact, it was my yearning for the flexibility of the GT-10 which actually lead me to audition the HD500. Coming in on firmware 1.2, perhaps I've missed some of the instability some have experienced but I agree entirely that Line 6's beta testing doesn't come close to Roland/Boss. But by comparison, Line 6 as a company is a baby as well. Hopefully, they'll learn from their mistakes and mature to the level of Boss/Roland in the future while continuing to improve their modeling methodology.

I agree with most of this, the GT-10 was 98% perfect - in fact, if there were a stereo effects loop, and some of the amp modeling were better....and a dedicated software editor!!!! :mad: I wouldn't have thought twice about the GT-10, but there is a reason I went "looking" and ended up with the HD500 :). In truth, the HD500 sounds and responds much more like an amp, and with the stereo effects loop I am in no way limited by what external effects I can add to my signal chain. I was looking at the GT-10 as an "all-in-one" solution for the most part, and I am now seeing the POD as part of a larger system that includes some external effects- which in some ways suits me better because I like playing with lots of cool pedals stereo and otherwise.

But there is still the issue with humbuckers overdriving the input of the device. It is not just the preamp/poweramp models in the unit, it is the physical input. I know it is because if I run my humbucker guitars through something like my Rackmount Chandler Tube Driver for some color, and then send it at "amp level" from the Chandler, it seems to knock the signal level down and all but eliminate the problem!

• Members

The problem with the GT-10 (and Roland/Boss modeling in general) is that while the unit is nice from a feature standpoint, the models sound like arse in comparison to the POD HD stuff, as well as the Axe-FX.

While I do agree the POD HD models are much better- I think that's a bit of an overstatement, I found the Roland Fender models to be decent, and many of the medium gain options in the various others were very usable. :idk:

• Members

While I do agree the POD HD models are much better- I think that's a bit of an overstatement, I found the Roland Fender models to be decent, and many of the medium gain options in the various others were very usable.
:idk:

I'd go as far as saying I found the GT-10 clean modeling inspiring! In fact, using one of the clean amps and a modeled dirt box sounded fantastic to me. Also, using the dual amp function to mix the strengths of 2 different amp models worked very well. But, yes agreed that the GT-10 amp modeling has fallen a little behind the curve when compared to the current Digitech and Line 6 offerings.

• Members

I'd go as far as saying I found the GT-10 clean modeling inspiring! In fact, using one of the clean amps and a modeled dirt box sounded fantastic to me. Also, using the dual amp function to mix the strengths of 2 different amp models worked very well. But, yes agreed that the GT-10 amp modeling has fallen a little behind the curve when compared to the current Digitech and Line 6 offerings.

To each their own. I've always found most of the modeling in Boss stuff to be laughable, especially compared to a good, real tube amp.

• Members

To each their own. I've always found most of the modeling in Boss stuff to be laughable, especially compared to a good, real tube amp.

Note I said clean modeling, and when I say clean I mean JC-120 clean for which no other modeler I've tried has matched the GT-10 IMHO. Of course, there's not a bunch of demand for modeling a JC-120 compared to other (tube) stuff. I did think their Vox modeling was particularly unrealistic, especially when compared to the POD HD.

BTW - I see you have a single cut Korina, how do you like it? Love my SE Singlcut. Been thinking about picking up an older Korina SE One and moding it for dual P90s or minihums...

• Members

Note I said clean modeling, and when I say clean I mean JC-120 clean for which no other modeler I've tried has matched the GT-10 IMHO. Of course, there's not a bunch of demand for modeling a JC-120 compared to other (tube) stuff. I did think their Vox modeling was particularly unrealistic, especially when compared to the POD HD.

Understood; it's just that with the rest of it being relatively useless (IMO), one great model does not a good value make. I use Vox models, classic and hotrod Marshalls, and other higher gain stuff all the time.

BTW - I see you have a single cut Korina, how do you like it? Love my SE Singlcut. Been thinking about picking up an older Korina SE One and moding it for dual P90s or minihums...

It's fantastic! Great value, very lively. Even the stock pickups are pretty decent, though I'm likely transferring over the '59/Custom 5 combo in my baritone over to it, and getting Blackouts for the baritone.

• Members

It's fantastic! Great value, very lively. Even the stock pickups are pretty decent, though I'm likely transferring over the '59/Custom 5 combo in my baritone over to it, and getting Blackouts for the baritone.

I went from stock pups to Lace Alumitones and now back to stock in my Singlecut SE. Agreed, great axe for a great price!

• Members

One good amp model with 30 good to great dirtbox models worked for me!
;)

Really? I'd be pissed if I bought a modeler and all that worked well was one amp model and a bunch of stompbox models. Then again, I don't use drive pedals for my tube amp either. Don't need to. :)

• Members

...as the product matures it will only get better.

This line right there is the biggest fear of any Line 6 customer that's been burnt in the past by their short life cycle and updates for units. Remember the Vetta, Pod XT Pro, Pod X3, XT Live, etc...

Very limited updates if any and sometimes never fixing a known issue in firmware before letting it die on the vine.

If Fractal Audio can release tons of updates with more and more functionality and new amps as often as they do, there's zero reason that Line 6 can't at least make a half assed attempt.

Don't get me wrong, I own a TON of Line 6 gear, including the HD500 and it's a great unit, but yeah, it's got it's downfalls that make it seem like it was rushed out a little too quick. 8 effects only? I didn't think that was a problem, cause I use very little effects, then I started putting together my chain.

Since it's a lot of toggling on/off individual effects, it's good to have all effects you might use in one patch, then engage them as necessary.

So, I start building up my chain...

A volume pedal

A wah

The amp block itself takes a spot

Some of the high gain amps are a bit noisy, so you need a gate...

I like a little verb on my overall tone...just a slight bit.

Sometimes I like to have a bit of delay on my solos

The HD500 does respond like an amp, where putting a boost or tube screamer in front of the amp block, makes it react like an amp, so that's a good feature.

An EQ is perfect for dialing in the right tone...and another boost after the amp block gives you a nice volume boost on command for solos...

but wait...that's 9 effect blocks right there....I didn't even get to add any modulation or pitch effects...:(

Shouldn't some of those effects be part of the 'base' OS?

I mean why on earth couldn't they pack a little more power into at least the HD500? I refuse to believe that they couldn't put a little more power in there without doubling the price...

:(

Great unit, but I feel like I have to use a separate drive and verb unit so I am not using up valuable slots in the presets to still be able to get what I want out of it.

• Members

I still disagree that all the amp modeling in the Roland gear is that bad. One thing about the BOSS/Roland stuff is that it is really, IMO, far too complicated. Some of the things I learned that made the units sound great would not be things that the average user would "stumble upon" - they would have to have long and deep understanding of effects processors in general to make them sing, for example:

1. Turn off the noise supressors (There are TWO in the GT-10! so just because you turned off one in your chain, you've missed the global one- why turn these off? about HALF of the "fizzy" complaints people have about the models is actually the damn noise supressors trying to sort out what is "noise" and what is "signal" as the sound decays- combine that with a compressor...and you've just doubled your problem. Turn those things OFF, then add back in compressor if wanted, then noise reduction if needed, and then at very low levels.

2. EQ's - there are a {censored}load of EQ'ing options on the GT, some are in the chain- but there are GLOBAL options too. You need to roll off the very top end of your entire patch with a shelving EQ to get the unit down into the range of a REAL speaker cab.

3. GAIN - some models had a gain switch that allowed you to switch from high to low gain- and then a gain control to control the amount of gain. IMO, EVERY SINGLE MODEL sounded better with that switch in the LOW gain position and then PUSHED if you wanted higher gain sounds that's where the amp models live and breathe- setting it to the HIGH setting, even on high gain amps sounded fake and reduced dynamic sensitivity- yet a ton of those amps were set by default to the HIGH setting- WHY?:confused: Roland labors under the impression that all guitar players need as much GAIN as possible and want to soak everything in chorus, delay, and reverb.:facepalm:

4. Cabinets and mics- now that you have a "tone" you have the endless tweaking of cabinet, mic model, and positioning- It's TOO MANY FREAKING SETTINGS to not have something out of whack that changes the tone in a significant way.

5. Use an analog or tube based pedal in front of the unit- a simple preamp gives you a little more touch sensitivity and makes the whole thing feel a little more "real" - I'm still doing that with my POD- I have a rack mount Tube Driver that I use.

Anyway, I think the Roland stuff gets a bad rap because it is definitely NOT "plug n' play" - but it isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

• Members

I still disagree that all the amp modeling in the Roland gear is that bad. One thing about the BOSS/Roland stuff is that it is really, IMO, far too complicated. Some of the things I learned that made the units sound great would not be things that the average user would "stumble upon" - they would have to have long and deep understanding of effects processors in general to make them sing, for example:

1. Turn off the noise supressors (There are TWO in the GT-10! so just because you turned off one in your chain, you've missed the global one- why turn these off? about HALF of the "fizzy" complaints people have about the models is actually the damn noise supressors trying to sort out what is "noise" and what is "signal" as the sound decays- combine that with a compressor...and you've just doubled your problem. Turn those things OFF, then add back in compressor if wanted, then noise reduction if needed, and then at very low levels.

2. EQ's - there are a {censored}load of EQ'ing options on the GT, some are in the chain- but there are GLOBAL options too. You need to roll off the very top end of your entire patch with a shelving EQ to get the unit down into the range of a REAL speaker cab.

3. GAIN - some models had a gain switch that allowed you to switch from high to low gain- and then a gain control to control the amount of gain. IMO, EVERY SINGLE MODEL sounded better with that switch in the LOW gain position and then PUSHED if you wanted higher gain sounds that's where the amp models live and breathe- setting it to the HIGH setting, even on high gain amps sounded fake and reduced dynamic sensitivity- yet a ton of those amps were set by default to the HIGH setting- WHY?
:confused:
Roland labors under the impression that all guitar players need as much GAIN as possible and want to soak everything in chorus, delay, and reverb.
:facepalm:

4. Cabinets and mics- now that you have a "tone" you have the endless tweaking of cabinet, mic model, and positioning- It's TOO MANY FREAKING SETTINGS to not have something out of whack that changes the tone in a significant way.

5. Use an analog or tube based pedal in front of the unit- a simple preamp gives you a little more touch sensitivity and makes the whole thing feel a little more "real" - I'm still doing that with my POD- I have a rack mount Tube Driver that I use.

Anyway, I think the Roland stuff gets a bad rap because it is definitely NOT "plug n' play" - but it isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Honestly, if it takes that much to get a good sound, there's something wrong. I can dial in a Mark IV faster that, and that thing is a pain in the ass to dial in. Even the AFX doesn't take that much to dial in, and it definitely outclasses the GT10.

• Members

Honestly, if it takes that much to get a good sound, there's something wrong. I can dial in a Mark IV faster that, and that thing is a pain in the ass to dial in. Even the AFX doesn't take that much to dial in, and it definitely outclasses the GT10.

1. Comparing a multieffects/modeler unit to an amp isn't really the same thing now is it?

How is the chorus sound on that Mark IV, or delay, or reverb ?;) There isn't any. How about the JC120 clean on that Mark IV- how is that? It doesn't exist either. If you want a Vox AC30, go buy a damn AC30. If you want a vintage Fender Bassman, go buy the damn thing. If you want something that sounds CLOSE to those things, is easy to record with and does 10 million more things - get a modeller/multi-effects device.

2. My suggestions are to make the GT-10 or VG-99 sound the best that they can be- it doesn't mean they don't sound "good" - every single tweak I mentioned takes no more than a few seconds to do...you just have to know to do them- and it is because (as I stated earlier) - at least IMO - Roland stuff is a bit too complicated. There is nothing WRONG with the device, it just gives you too many options, and therefore too many things to lead you away from (as well as toward) the tone you are looking for.

• Members

1. Comparing a multieffects/modeler unit to an amp isn't really the same thing now is it?

How is the chorus sound on that Mark IV, or delay, or reverb ?
;)
There isn't any. How about the JC120 clean on that Mark IV- how is that? It doesn't exist either. If you want a Vox AC30, go buy a damn AC30. If you want a vintage Fender Bassman, go buy the damn thing. If you want something that sounds CLOSE to those things, is easy to record with and does 10 million more things - get a modeller/multi-effects device.

2. My suggestions are to make the GT-10 or VG-99 sound the best that they can be- it doesn't mean they don't sound "good" - every single tweak I mentioned takes no more than a few seconds to do...you just have to know to do them- and it is because (as I stated earlier) - at least IMO - Roland stuff is a bit too complicated. There is nothing WRONG with the device, it just gives you too many options, and therefore too many things to lead you away from (as well as toward) the tone you are looking for.

You're completely missing the point of why I mentioned that, but okay.

It's a relevant comparison, because that amp is notoriously difficult to dial in. As is the AFX, which you conveniently ignored out of my comment, and which is obviously a modeler. The point is I may go through a lot to get the amp tuned and dialed in, but the end result is worth it. The end result is worth it with teh AFX. The end result is not worth it with the GT10.

IMO, there's no amount of dialing that will make the GT-10 sound good. Sorry, I think it sounds like {censored}, as does all Boss modeling, in my view.

• Members

You're completely missing the point of why I mentioned that, but okay.

It's a relevant comparison, because that amp is notoriously difficult to dial in. As is the AFX, which you conveniently ignored out of my comment, and which is obviously a modeler. The point is I may go through a lot to get the amp tuned and dialed in, but the end result is worth it. The end result is worth it with teh AFX. The end result is not worth it with the GT10.

IMO, there's no amount of dialing that will make the GT-10 sound good. Sorry, I think it sounds like {censored}, as does all Boss modeling, in my view.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinions, but I don't think comparing an amp to a multieffects/modeler device is a fair comparison by any stretch.

As for the Axe Effects, I have no experience with that unit - it may be easy to dial in, it may have the best amp modeling in the world- I don't know. For $2000.00, it should be the best modeling in the world.

I'm well aware of the shortcomings of BOSS COSM modeling, but to my ears and in my world, there is a whole range of quality between "best modeling in the world" and "it sounds like {censored}" - but that's just me.

• Members

You are perfectly entitled to your opinions, but I don't think comparing an amp to a multieffects/modeler device is a fair comparison by any stretch.

Sure it is. Are you replacing an amp with it? Often yes. It's a valid comparison. You're perfectly entitled to disagree though.

As for the Axe Effects, I have no experience with that unit - it may be easy to dial in, it may have the best amp modeling in the world- I don't know. For $2000.00, it should be the best modeling in the world.

It's not easy to dial in. However the end results are worth it.

I'm well aware of the shortcomings of BOSS COSM modeling, but to my ears and in my world, there is a whole range of quality between "best modeling in the world" and "it sounds like {censored}" - but that's just me.

Sure there is a whole range. It's just that Boss resides much closer to the latter, not the former, to me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Bryan, I'm curious about your "disappearing amp" problem. I've had some strange things happen to my patches while I was playing, and they were usually related to the dedicated amp controls. The amp control display would pop up without me touching any of the knobs, and some times parameters were changed - one time it was the volume that got changed and the patch got instantly noticeably louder. Seems to me that some times false triggering of the control knobs occur, and then the corresponding patch parameter will be set at wherever the knob happens to be positioned at. I wonder if the problem you've described is the same I've experienced or something similar, maybe related to the volume expression pedal (which I don't use, I hate volume pedals).

• Members

You can also dial great sounds rather quickly with the GT-10. I just dialed 2 sounds that I'll use and it took me 2 minutes for both via EZ Tone. The 2 minutes also included further tuning (e.g., adding a chorus and tweaking the eq.)

I would expect the Axe-FX to sound better than the GT-10, but the samples I heard during its first years of existence were unimpressive. I try not to judge based on just samples, but after listening in various forums samples from different sources I was unimpressed. Maybe by now they sound better, but now I'm more interested in the Kemper amps technology. The GT-10 offers a lot for the money I spent.

Archived