The iPad is to music what CGI is to movies.

Firebrand

• Members

To make this comparison is to disregard creativity and dismiss technology for the sake of it.

The iPad is a tool. You're either creative with it, or you're not. The same can be said about the dawn of the computer era. I'm sure there were studio guys looking at home recording setups going "wow, this is really going to send the music industry into the {censored}ter".

Don't be so close minded.

• Members

To make this comparison is to disregard creativity and dismiss technology for the sake of it.

The iPad is a tool. You're either creative with it, or you're not. The same can be said about the dawn of the computer era. I'm sure there were studio guys looking at home recording setups going "wow, this is really going to send the music industry into the {censored}ter".

Don't be so close minded.

+1. Some people can make music on anything. A tin can, a saw or a string, broom handle and pot. This is just another way to create music. If you're not musical, it won't make something out of nothing. Like cgi, if you sat me down at computer with a cgi program running, i wouldn't be able to do anything.

• Members

CGI movies will continue to be successful as long as folks continue to pay to see them. There certainly is abusive use (as the new Green Lantern appears to be) versus insanely creative (such as Forrest Gump or any Pixar movie). Same goes with modeling versus real music gear. A touch screen UI on a multi-fx unit is a brilliant idea. Much better IMHO than having to hook up to a computer and use a mouse. However, the choice to implement a $500 third party device as your touch screen UI is a huge fail. I know there are a significant amount of iPad owners, but the guitarists or but a tiny fraction and still smaller would be those willing to but one on the floor so close to where your feet will be stomping...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived