Using a Boss RC 3 looper with an axe fx ultra?

mygolfcart123

• Members

I bought a boss RC 3 looper to do simple chord progressions so I can solo over them using my axe fx Ultra.

But I am new to this and have never used a looper before, so I have a couple of questions.

First what is the best way to set up a looper like the Boss RC 3 with the ultra, simple would be great!

Also, say I make a loop of me playing a chord progression of a verse then chorus and have that groove going well.

Lets also say that I use ONE kind of distortion for that groove, but I want to use another completely different effect for soloing over the top of that.

My question, is does the RC 3 "remember" (Or in other words act like a digital recorder) what effect I used on the chorus and verse and have it recorded along with the riff? Does it still have it recorded on the loop pedal even if I don't have it hooked up to the ultra at a later time?

Also, can you use more than one kind of effect and have various "layers" of loops? All with different effects?

Or in other words, is a looper kind of like a mini digital recorder specifically made for playing a guitar with it?

• Members

Golf, Do you have a floor midi controller yet?

I Sure DO! a Rocktron midi mate! Works fantastic.

A friend that knows MIDI helped me set it up, but it only goes to 99 of the sounds, though.

I am considering biting the bullet this year when I get my income tax check and getting an MFC 101!

From what I hear, that is pretty much "plug and play" with the standard or ultra...don't know about the axe fx 2 and how it configures itself for that.

But I can use it with an axe fx 2 if I ever get one of those.

• Members

The looper is a recorder. Put all your tone shaping everything BEFORE the looper, run it into a clean amp. Then you can have different effects on every layer of the loop if you want.

This - if you put the looper in front of your effects, any changes to your effect settings will affect the playback (which is actually a really good way to audition different effect settings or fiddle with/mangle a loop). Put it after the effects and it stays the same - then you can do whatever you want with what you're playing over it.

• Members

I Sure DO! a Rocktron midi mate! Works fantastic.

A friend that knows MIDI helped me set it up, but it only goes to 99 of the sounds, though.

I am considering biting the bullet this year when I get my income tax check and getting an MFC 101!

From what I hear, that is pretty much "plug and play" with the standard or ultra...don't know about the axe fx 2 and how it configures itself for that.

But I can use it with an axe fx 2 if I ever get one of those.

Really? Do you have an old model on the midimate? 'Cause mine will go to 128 but only 99 in their "instant" access mode.

Did you look into configuring some midi channels (midimate) to utilize the onboard looper?

Do you exclusively use the Axe-FX for your tones (preamp, effects and cabinet modeling)?

Just out of curiosity, how are you laying out the gear on the floor? I ended up getting a big pedal board and building a riser for the midimate and have pedals in front of it. I just hate having loose pedals on the ground.

• Members

Really? Do you have an old model on the midimate? 'Cause mine will go to 128 but only 99 in their "instant" access mode.

Did you look into configuring some midi channels (midimate) to utilize the onboard looper?

Do you exclusively use the Axe-FX for your tones (preamp, effects and cabinet modeling)?

Just out of curiosity, how are you laying out the gear on the floor? I ended up getting a big pedal board and building a riser for the midimate and have pedals in front of it. I just hate having loose pedals on the ground.

I got my MIDI mate a couple months ago on musicians friend they were having a sale and I snagged one for 170 bucks! I don't know how "old" it is, maybe I am thinking of instant access mode.

I really wanted a looper pedal seperate. Because it gives you a lot more recording time and also I can save my sounds directly to my computer in the form of a .wav file. So I do not have to worry about losing them.

I really have not use the midi mate live yet, so I cannot say how I am going to have it configured.

As I said, I may end up getting a used MFC 101 anyway.

Archived