iPad Question

richardmac

• Members

I use a Line 6 Floor Pod Plus for recording and live gigs. I also own an iPad, and I'm wondering if anyone has a take on whether I can get better guitar sounds out of an iPad running whatever the best software is vs the hardware Line 6. I'm also wondering how bad the latency is on the iPad. I'm not new to computers or the iPad but I have always used Line 6 hardware and I'm wondering if now is the time to make the leap to software...

• Members

Hard to say. I haven't played thru an ipad, but I've used Amplitube 3 thru a macbook pro (dual-core 2.4 ghz) using an IK Stealth Pedal as the interface.

It runs pretty stable if I set the buffer size at 128 samples. It's a noticeable amount of latency but you get used to it. It's a bit like playing thru an amp that's across the room.

I've used that rig at some gigs. Overall, it can sound really good but it takes some getting used to. It doesn't behave like an amp at all.

I was talking with the guys at Fractal Audio about this issue. On a "regular" computer, latency will always be higher than a "dedicated" device because of all the multi-tasking it has to do. Even your line 6 has latency, but it's so slight that it's not worth discussing too much.

I think we're close with ipads etc, but I'm not certain we're really "there"

Make sense?

• Members

I don't think it's quite ready to replace a multifx/ modeler like a POD or whatever you may have... It's starting to get there, but where it's really lacking are the interfaces. IMO, the ioDock from Alesis is hands down the nicest interface, but honestly, it's not really geared directly at guitar, it's more for recording...

The only interface/software combo that I can think of that's a possibility is the Korg IP10 or whatever. It's specific for guitar, but I can't speak as to it's quality, or the quality of the models/effects.

• Members

I use a Line 6 Floor Pod Plus for recording and live gigs. I also own an iPad, and I'm wondering if anyone has a take on whether I can get better guitar sounds out of an iPad running whatever the best software is vs the hardware Line 6. I'm also wondering how bad the latency is on the iPad. I'm not new to computers or the iPad but I have always used Line 6 hardware and I'm wondering if now is the time to make the leap to software...

Forget about it.

With most solutions you plug into the external mic/headphone port, you will have less than acceptable sound with acceptable lag, the bus solutions are the other way around: good sound but horrible lag. Even the dearer Alesis are horrible.

I use the iPad with Garageband for recording and asynchronous mixing, which works reasonably well in a Podcast-like environment. But more than that? No. Not yet.

• Members

Forget about it.

With most solutions you plug into the external mic/headphone port, you will have less than acceptable sound with acceptable lag, the bus solutions are the other way around: good sound but horrible lag. Even the dearer Alesis are horrible.

I use the iPad with Garageband for recording and asynchronous mixing, which works reasonably well in a Podcast-like environment. But more than that? No. Not yet.

Not sure what you're talking about lag; I've got the Apogee and there's no perceivable latency when playing in GB or AmpKit+. It works really well, and sounds far better than the jack-based solutions.

• Members

I've had the Apogee and experienced an uncureable lag of varying degree. If the lag would've been constant, I could have shifted it away, but it wasn't. Percieved it was depending on the dynamics. The louder the laggier.

Maybe they've changed the box? Dunno, had one of the first available in Europe.

• Members

I've had the Apogee and experienced an uncureable lag of varying degree. If the lag would've been constant, I could have shifted it away, but it wasn't. Percieved it was depending on the dynamics. The louder the laggier.

Maybe they've changed the box? Dunno, had one of the first available in Europe.

No idea. I don't have these problems at all, be it on iPad or iPhone. So weird. Maybe there were problems early on, and they fixed them?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

No idea. I don't have these problems at all, be it on iPad or iPhone. So weird. Maybe there were problems early on, and they fixed them?

Same - I don't have these problems... what software was being used would be handy to know as I would love to try and replicate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived