Any thoughts about the new Kitara digital guitar?

Karma1

• Members

I just took a look at the Misa Digital Kitara at the Sweetwater website:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Kitara

It looks interesting, although I couldn't stand the music they used on the demo video. I'd love to hear it with some different kinds of sounds. It doesn't seem to be as much of a "guitar" as a guitar shaped midi controller with built-in synth sounds. It could have some cool potential, but I'd like to see some more demos of it.

• Members

Craig - thanks for posting. That was a better demo. Although I have to question the rep's statement that it only takes an experienced guitarist about 20 minutes to get used to the difference between it and a regular guitar. I'd still love to hear it triggering and manipulating more ambient pad type sounds, which is what I'd want it for.

The only other midi guitar I'm familiar with that has built-in synth sounds is the Casio PG380 from the 1990's, which is an actual Strat-style guitar with a built in VZ synth module and midi out. I had one for years and it was cool at the time but the sounds are pretty dated by now and the midi out was glitch city. Guess I'll stick with my VG-99 and GR-33 for now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I like the concept but feel as though I could do better with a XY-Pad controlling software plug-ins (a la Matt Bellamy from Muse) and a midi capable guitar in conjunction with an Axon Guitar to MIDI converter or something.

Never the less, it still looks like fun.

• Members

Starrlabs is working on what amounts to a competing product - a guitar-like object with buttons replacing frets. If you have an iPad already, it's cheaper than a Kitara. If not, then the cost is a little bit more - which would then come down to a decision between the flexibility of running any iPad app vs. Kitara's built-in software, and possibly the Kitara's multitouch response vs. the iPad's:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starrlabs/itar-turn-your-ipad-into-a-guitar

Archived