Guitar Recording...how do you do it? (anyone using Garage Band?)

Andreas123

• Members

Hello fellow forumites,

Recently I had the financial break to buy a MacBook Pro. Damn expensive that thing but it comes useful to what I need it for.

I have noticed that it has a program on it called Garage Band. I saw some videos about it and it seems to do some nice stuff for recording and pedal/amp modelling. As always I don't expect it to perform as advertised "on the box" so im asking if any of you use it and what is your opinion on it. If you do, how do you have your recording setup?

Thank you in advance,

Andreas.

• Members

Garage Band isn't bad, and is especially good for a (somewhat) free program. I think it's a very capable program to get started with. All you will need is some type of audio interface to get sound in and out of your MacBook. I would suggest looking through www.sweetwater.com to see what's available.

Also, a lot of multi-effects pedals can act as an interface such as Line 6 Pod HD.

Most serious home studios are probably running something more robust than Garage Band, but I suggest trying it out until you out grow it. If you do. There are plenty of programs out there that do a lot more, but if you're just having fun messing around with a few tracks you may have all you need to work with.

• Members

I've got a Blue Yeti mic and garageband and I'm usually set, at least for demoing purposes.

If you've got a mac, Logic is also pretty badass. Easy to use, less finicky than Pro-Tools. Not bad at all.

• Members

Thank you for your replies. :)

Another question...Is it possible to plug straight into the laptop without any too expensive equipment , avoid the need to get a microphone , and monitor your sound with headphones.

Being able to record without annoying the neighbours is a major issue where I live now and also my working hours don't really allow me to play during "reasonable" hours.

anyone else with similar problems? Im sure there are alot of people who burn the midnight oil with the guitar in hand...

• Members

Thank you for your replies.
:)

Another question...Is it possible to plug straight into the laptop without any too expensive equipment , avoid the need to get a microphone , and monitor your sound with headphones.

Being able to record without annoying the neighbours is a major issue where I live now and also my working hours don't really allow me to play during "reasonable" hours.

anyone else with similar problems? Im sure there are alot of people who burn the midnight oil with the guitar in hand...

Yes and probably the best and cheapest for direct garageband recording is the apogee jam, it is $100 and is a great option since it is a "pure digital" interface with little to no latency at all (I don't notice any when recording) and not only can you plug a guitar/bass in there it works for mic's as well, you can also just jam with headphones through the amp sims in garageband as well, a great program for just throwing down tracks with the ability to record in 24 so the quality is quite good, and it is MUCH less confusing that logic can be to the new user.

Archived