New Guitar Synth day...

CaViTaTioN

• Members

Just got a GR20 from the fedex man and I am beyond excited. I play in a disco/funk cover band and I know the possibilities are endless. I posted in the effects forum and Phil directed me here. Any thoughts, advice, suggestions from any of you who are running guitar synths?

• Members

Just got a GR20 from the fedex man and I am beyond excited. I play in a disco/funk cover band and I know the possibilities are endless. I posted in the effects forum and Phil directed me here. Any thoughts, advice, suggestions from any of you who are running guitar synths?

Yeah, try to listen to the instrument or instruments you are trying to mimic on a recording of some music. See how a horn for example, does swells. Then mimic the swell with the volume. And above all.... PLAY AS CLEAN AS YOU CAN. This goes for even an axon. The reason a lot of guitar players think MIDI guitar is not up to par with regular guitar is they grab a MIDI guitar, try to play a MIDI part like van halen and then stupidly complain that it must be the equipments fault that it does not sound like the instrument they are playing, when that is usually not the case at all.

Learn to make your guitar sound like the instrument you are trying to mimic and NOT the other way around! You cannot play chords on a real horn as far as I know, so why would you do that with a MIDI setup, unless you were going for a multiple horn sound.

Learning HOW to play a MIDI guitar, is just as important as owing great MIDI guitar gear.

• Members

Mounted the pickup and started playing with it last night. I ended up having to cut some of my strat's pickguard to get the pickup in place. That part turned out a lot better than I expected actually. After messing with it for a bit, I have no idea how I existed without a guitar synth! And this model is 7-8 years old! I am definitely excited by all the possibilities :)

• Members

There's this:

2 tracks of stereo regular guitar:

2 tracks of hexaphonic processed guitar:

2 tracks of guitar-to-midi with multiple sounds assigned to different strings:

All done live, in one pass, no edits:

ECgcBVfv654

Doing this stuff has opened up the possibilities for me to do soundtracks - I just got done with doing one for a documentary that will likely be on PBS in the U.S. and for sure Norwegian television overseas.

Enjoy! You have a big world of sound to play with now.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Doing this stuff has opened up the possibilities for me to do soundtracks - I just got done with doing one for a documentary that will likely be on PBS in the U.S. and for sure Norwegian television overseas.

Enjoy! You have a big world of sound to play with now.

==============================================================

This is absolutely terrific :thu: !

Please elaborate on the gear and software used :love: .

Thank You :lol:

Hurricane Ramon

• 1 month later...
  • Members

There is limited programing with a GR-20. It will not layer sounds you choose or change pitch on each string like a GR-33. It was taught to us by our guitar teachers..

• 1 month later...
  • Members

For live work, I found it useful to copy patches for my 10 most-used sounds into User Bank patches 1-10.

Also:

Buy a spare 13-pin cord. They are not easy to find when on the road!

Buy a padded case. I bought this one for around $25. It has room for cords in the cover lid, and the power supply & main unit fit nicely in the bottom.

If using a Roland GK-type add-on pickup, it is VERY important to get your guitar setup back to factory specs or tracking will be bad.

If you have more than one midi guitar, remember to reset string sensitivity each time you switch guitars. (I wish they had storable presets for this!)

Don't forget to try blending guitar sound with synth sound - - some of the hybrid sounds made this way can be extremely inspiring.

You'll have to spend some time wood-shedding with the system to get your picking habits into precise articulation, and learn to change your chord voicing to match the instrument patch you are using. For example, you typically would only use 2 or 3 note chords in a piano rhythm parts, with the notes closely spaced, because most piano players do not have hands that are 12 inches wide.

Hope you find this helpful.

Archived