Gilmore Sound on Sound in Ableton Live?

tracyevans

• Members

Anyone have any recommends on how to get this cool sound-on-sound technique that David Gilmore uses? Below is a quick demo using hardware, but I want to get it with Ableton plugins.

[video=youtube;c6Dmf9Tyu8c]

And here is the real thing live.

[video=youtube;L9GhEjBp6Lo]

• Members

I have managed to make some progress on this using a long delay on a send channel. I use a pedal to turn down the volume on the main guitar channel as it turns up the send. Still tweaking it. I will post the results here when I crack it if anyone is interested.

• Members

I'm not the most experienced in live, but you may be able to get that simply by stacking two delays on a track? Why a plug in? There's tons of effects. Simple delay or Ping pong... not sure what would be better. High feedback will give that looping quality. Looks like you have some knob fiddling to do!

You could also put some reverb in front of the delays so it's quality gets 'fedback' in the delay. I've got almost pad quality out of doing that with an acoustic.

Sends indeed. They're your best bet.

• Members

Recently discovered Ill Gates workshop on production and sampling. Mind be bent.

From your mention I checked out the Ill Gates seminar. That cat is inspirational - the Anthony Robbins of music production. He didn't get into the production side much in the first chapter, but the general workflow advice is priceless. How is the rest of the seminar? I'm considering spending the $50 for the videos of full course.

• Members

Some of the information he includes are things we all know. But sometimes it can be refreshing to have another spell it out in a new way.

His workflow concepts are intriguing. I really like the sous-chef analogy. Prepping drum racks, samples and synth tones while not working on a specific tune is great. It's all too easy to just mess with sounds all day long but not necessarily make definitive progress every time you sit down to work.

But what is most useful to me is the actual ableton session with what he calls "128s". You can actually play around with what he had built with sampler. In the video, he just breezes through the motions. It took actually playing with his sampler files for me to start to understand.

• Members

But what is most useful to me is the actual ableton session with what he calls "128s". You can actually play around with what he had built with sampler. In the video, he just breezes through the motions. It took actually playing with his sampler files for me to start to understand.

Ok, I will check it out.

Archived