Request for your expert help. Godin Multiac Grand Concert has no Guitar sound

yakRider

• Members

Hi,

I'm new up here and ya'll sound like you have a good deal of knowledge and experience with guitars and their electronics, and that helped me to decided to join.

I have a problem with my guitar that I would like to ask your thoughts/help/direction on.

I have a Godin Grand Concert Multiac SA (and it is true love). But I'm unable to get the straight guitar sound. I can get the synth sound just fine.

I've tried using the 13-pin to my GR-20 and I've tried using the 1/4" straight to my amp. No guitar sound.

The sliders don't feel stuck or loose (as in they don't feel broken).

I have changed batteries with fresh ones.

Do you have any thoughts on what the problem might be and what I can do to resolve it?

Thanks! Yak

• Members

Do you get a straight guitar sound from the 13 pin or not?

If you get no guitar sound from any outputs and you're getting synth, then it's probably somewhere in either the preamp or the connection between the pickups and the preamp module.

If you get guitar/synth from the 13 pin but not the 1/4" jack on the guitar it could be the jack. Godin has wired the battery power on/off to the output jack and it never did work right on mine. It would just stay on all the time and drain batteries so I just got in the habit of taking the batteries out when not using the guitar. When you use the 13-pin, power is provided via your GR-20.

When in doubt email Godin for technical support.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
That is one very nice guitar and I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with it. I would call Godin and see if they can give you some ideas. They are good people to deal with.
Thank you. When I say that it is "love," I think you understand.
I will contact their support. I thought that if someone recognized the problem, and that it was an easy fix, that I could do it myself. Sounds like it's not so simple.

• Members

I do not get straight guitar sound from the 13-pin, nor do I get it out of the 1/4" jack. I get only synth out of the 13-pin.
I've replaced battery a couple of times just to rule that out.
I did email Godin tech support and they recommended that I bring the guitar to the seller. Unfortunately, the seller doesn't work on Godins.
I wonder if I contacted the preamp manufacturer if they would help or if they would send me back to Godin, since they are the ones installing it in their product?
For obvious reasons I don't want to bring it to "just anybody."

Thoughts?

• Members

If you're getting synth sounds out of the 13-pin then the piezo's are working. No guitar out of either output certainly points to that part of the wiring and/or preamp since the synth and guitar sounds come from the same piezo's.

It could be something as simple as a lose wire or a bad volume pot, or something board level with the pre-amp. IIRC those guitars come with RMC piezo saddles and 2 x RMC pcb's inside the guitar.

First thing to try is, using the 13-pin since you get something from there, giving the sliding controls a shot of non-lubricated contact cleaner and move them up and down a dozen or so times. That should clean out the pots. Failing anything there, take the back cover off and check to make sure everything is plugged in to something.

Ron McLish, the guy behind RMC, is a super guy and very helpful via email. I don't believe he's equipped to repair guitars, but he was helpful on board level stuff. Shoot him an email and see what he has to say?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Yeah, I second that about Ron at RMC. He hooked me up with a good tech in SF bay area and he may be able to point you to a guitar tech nearby if you aren't comfortable digging in too deep. I would certainly at least make sure it isn't just a loose connection at the preamp or switches. If it isn't that obvious then somebody has to check the circuits.

• 7 years later...
  • Members

I own one.  I know this sounds crazy but the acoustic output does not work unless you have a cable plugged into the electric pickup.  I keep a 1/4 guitar connector with me and when I want the acoustic out to work I plug the dummy connector into the electric output.  This is the only feature on the guitar that I don't like.  Give it a try on yours and let me know if it works for you.  

Archived