Best free software for guitar tones?

belovedmonster

• Members

With Guitar Rig offering a single amp version of their software for free, and Amplitude coming with a free Fender and Marshall to play with, I've got this idea of recording some tracks using only free products thumb.gif (I've got a Pod, but its pretty old and even freebie tones are probably much better sounding).

Not really being an expert on software guitar emulation I'm wondering if there are any other free products out there I can add to my tone library? Or perhaps other software that would help me achieve great sounding audio for free. cool.gif

• Members

They're great for non-metal too. HyBrit is an awesome Marshall simulation and LeXTAC is a great Bogner XTC simulation. LeXTAC is probably my favorite.

I use a few others but they're not free (ReValver and RedWirez for cabs), but I really do feel that LePou's stuff is the best. With good impulses (GuitarHack's are great and free), they're worlds better than Amplitube and Guitar Rig.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I just checked Le Pou's stuff, this is absolutely awesome. I also donwloaded GuitarHack impulses... and I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if it is for Mac, but what I got is a .rar file. When I expand the file it only has some .wav and .txt files under a bunch of directories. Am I doing something wrong?
With Le Pou's it flawless... I downloaded dll's, put them in the vstplugins directory and tell my DAW to rescan the VSTs. Voil

• Members

For the impulses, you need a vst that will read them. These are usually called impulse loaders or cab simulators. There are several that people like. LePou has 2 versions. The original called LeCab and another later version called LeCab2. They are good and they look nice, but I like an older one called KeFir which uses less cpu and allows you to adjust where the impulse tail is truncated if it's a long impulse. If you don't know what I'm talking about just use the LeCab stuff, they are easier to understand and there are even youtube videos that show how to use them. All of these will load those wav files you found in the GuitarHack archive.

You put this vst after the ampsim vst in the DAW chain of effects. Note that you only need to use these impulses if the amp sim does not already have a cab sim as part of it. You would need to use it for all the LePou amps for example, but you wouldn't need to for the Amplitube 3 because it already includes it (although you can turn it off). The documentation on the amp sims will tell you if you need to use an impulse or cab sim afterwards or not. Good luck!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Coldfire View Post
For the impulses, you need a vst that will read them. These are usually called impulse loaders or cab simulators. There are several that people like. LePou has 2 versions. The original called LeCab and another later version called LeCab2. They are good and they look nice, but I like an older one called KeFir which uses less cpu and allows you to adjust where the impulse tail is truncated if it's a long impulse. If you don't know what I'm talking about just use the LeCab stuff, they are easier to understand and there are even youtube videos that show how to use them. All of these will load those wav files you found in the GuitarHack archive.

You put this vst after the ampsim vst in the DAW chain of effects. Note that you only need to use these impulses if the amp sim does not already have a cab sim as part of it. You would need to use it for all the LePou amps for example, but you wouldn't need to for the Amplitube 3 because it already includes it (although you can turn it off). The documentation on the amp sims will tell you if you need to use an impulse or cab sim afterwards or not. Good luck!
Hey, many thanks, I will try to make it work with the LeCab!

• Members

Hey, thanks a lot... I downloaded LeCab2 and put it after another LePou amp in the chain of effects. I see that you have 6 separate units you can load the wav files... but I definitely don't know how to use it, so I'm gonna do some research over the web, since I did not find documentation at LePou's blog.

• Members

Hey, thanks a lot... I downloaded LeCab2 and put it after another LePou amp in the chain of effects. I see that you have 6 separate units you can load the wav files... but I definitely don't know how to use it, so I'm gonna do some research over the web, since I did not find documentation at LePou's blog.

Edit... found documnetation in the blog... my bad

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Just about every guitar sound on my HorrorVox album (link in my signature) was run through Fretted Synth's FreeAmp 3.  I don't remember why I picked that one and it proved to be somewhat buggy and crashy in a complex FL file but it worked for my purposes.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Ok...Now I'll show you how stupid I am...How do you use VST's..DAW's..WHAT are they? Hey I plug into an amp, put a microphone in front of it and plug the mic into a board. Send the board to a tape deck or a old free version of Avid Pro Tools, but I never got a handle on the whole thing. But this free soft amp thing has me intrigued.  Anybody wanna help in 10,000 words or less? Less would be better, I'm 60 and may not have time to read much.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

My favorite free ones are 

LePou 

Ignite -some great ones for clean especially. Also have some nice pedal sims, an amazing free EQ, and a Bass Amp sim.

AcmeBarGig

TSE Audio (also really great Tube Screamer sim)

I mostly use cab IRs I made myself. Use the DAW's IR loader. 

Alamo Joe

You need minimally

An audio interface (you may be able to use a 'soudn card' on your computer, but they tend to be problematic)

Look up Focusrite, Presonus, M-Audio, etc.

A DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) basically your virtual recorder, mixer, and much much more

The DAW acts as a host for vst or other plugins, vst is simply the most common type. See kvraudio.com for a mostly complete list. http://www.kvraudio.com/q.php

If you dont want to record, there are 'standalone' vst hosts, which have the benefit of simplicity. 

Archived