What's the best guitar synth?

mhuxtable

• Members

Hey guys it's my first time posting in this forum.

I'm very soon going to be the proud owner of a Moog guitar! If I get the midi option, what's the best guitar synth out there? No rack units please...I prefer floor stomp boxes....and preferably under $1k. I don't want one for guitar sounds....I want synth, strings, creaky old piano, woodwinds, spacey things, etc.

What should I look into?

I've been reading some posts and it is quite daunting, the world of midi guitar? I guess the main thing is, what do I need? I won't need a pickup...the moog guitar has that built in. So I'll need a box that converts the signal to sound....and I like some spacey and weird sounds! Haha but also the ability to edit them. I really wish I could use all my VSTs in my computer in a box...is that possible?

So give me a start to finish overview of what I'm getting into here. Thanks!

• Members

Are you more into synthesizer sounds or processed guitar? Can you stomache or tolerate a delay from playing a note to hearing a sound?

The new GR-55 is supposed to have the fastest tracking of any guitar synth ever but the Roland VG-99 has "synth-like" sounds that require no tracking thus no delay.

Spacey and weird sounds?

Check this out:

http://aliensporebomb.bandcamp.com/

Check out "atmospheres" or "before sleeping" and all of that is created by the VG-99 without any external synths or indeed any synth sounds at all, it's just heavily processed hexaphonic guitar sounds.

"Distant Warning" is all VG-99 but there's one GR-300 bass sound at one point (the VG-99 has a virtual GR300 in it).

And the track "Ethereal world" is all VG-99 sans synth too. The VG-99 has a guitar-to-midi converter in it.

Caveat: I'm told it's not as good as the converter built into the GR-55 but here's a piano track I did with it and it kept up on the really fast ascending scale at the end of the piece.

http://madsound.dyndns.org/vg99/midi/asb-mystica.mp3

There are many GR-55 demos out there you could check out too but your best bet is to try it yourself. The GR-55 is certainly less expensive than the VG-99.

• Members

I'm very soon going to be the proud owner of a Moog guitar! If I get the midi option, what's the best guitar synth out there? No rack units please...I prefer floor stomp boxes....and preferably under $1k. I don't want one for guitar sounds....I want
synth, strings, creaky old piano, woodwinds, spacey things, etc.

What should I look into?

I've been reading some posts and it is quite daunting, the world of midi guitar? I guess the main thing is, what do I need? I won't need a pickup...the moog guitar has that built in. So I'll need a box that converts the signal to sound....and I like some spacey and weird sounds! Haha but also the ability to edit them. I really wish I could use all my VSTs in my computer in a box...is that possible?

The new GR55 is your best bet. Its literally brand new, and represents Rolands most advanced Midi converstion unit. It has a full General Midi sound set (plus quite a bit more) and has many pianos/flutes/strings/synths etc. It includes over 900 sounds and has two PCM synth engines.

The vg99 is cool, but for these types of sounds, its extremely limited.

Tracking will be better with the gr55 as well (based on early user feedback from those who have tried it).

• Members

Thanks guys. I just wish there were more options out there.

In my perfection scenario, I'd love a box that has some amazing sounds built in (and that you can fully edit in a computer program or on the fly), takes VSTs or whatever other soft synths ppl use, without all the guitar emulator stuff. If I want natural guitar sounds, that's what I have tube amps and pedals for!

Are there any other real players in the midi guitar world or does Roland have a lock on it for now?

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Why don't you use a ztar from starrlabs? You can then connect that to any hardware synthesiser rack module if you want a "box" which will be far better than the gr55 and you won't be dealing with tracking anymore you wont have sluggish performance and latency that is inherant in the gr55.

Go for the starrlabs stuff, roland doesn't have anything good in this department yet. The Gr-55 is just a gimmick that is fun for about 2 hours, a real midi-guitar will work.

• Members

What exactly do you have against rack units? I have a axon ax 100 mark II hooked into a yamaha motif XS rack Using a Godin ACS SA guitar and the sounds on there are WAY better than any of the Roland stuff including the GR 55!

If you are wanting an all in one sloution that is one thing, then go with the Roland stuff,  but if you are wanting the BEST all in one solution, you may want to wait for the fishman triple play. It is made by the guy that built the axon and is 5 pin MIDI, so it would work with your guitar.

But hey, you really do get what you pay for! Especially when it comes to MIDI guitar stuff.

The BEST is not always inexpensive, but it does not have to be sky high either. The triple play will sell for about $300.00 when it comes out and it is supposed to be way better than even an axon rack unit because of todays technology.  Plus it is the very first wireless guitar pickup for a MIDI guitar.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

In this day and age, it seems that most young people are focused on computers, cell phones and other high tech gadgets. Unfortunately, things like guitar lessons have taken a back seat in many instances. What many people forget is that there are significant benefits that can be derived from taking guitar lessons as a young person. One of the solid benefits that a high school student can derive from guitar lessons is an increase in self esteem. Through this article, this benefit and others associated with guitar lessons are presented for your consideration.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

.The GR-55 guitar synth combines two of my favorite Roland guitar technologies in a pedal format specifically designed not to intimidate the musician, and I had plenty of time to play with one when I reviewed it for Sound On Sound. One is the fast-tracking, sample-based sound synthesizer section, the other is COSM guitar/amp/effects modeling. Critics of

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I like to generalize guitar players by dividing them into two categories. Some guitarists just want their choice guitar, a good amp, and maybe an overdrive or wah on occasion. Other guitarists seek out any and every new way to effect their sound and are always looking for new toys to mangle and shape their tone. If you

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Members

I'm a Roland user myself; VG88, VG99, GR30 and GR33. The 88, 99 and the new GR55 are all basically gtr /amp modeling with great FX, the 55 being the exception in that it has "synth" sounds; piano, trumpet, sitar, etc. The 88 and 99 have limited synth sounds, but they both track excellently. The 30 and 33 are true synths covering all kinds of keyboards, horns, flutes, etc., with limited programmability, but very user friendly. Using an 88 or 99 with a 30 or 33 requires a US20 connector. The 55, the newest, combines the best of guitar FX/modeling and synth sounds in one package that tracks well. But, you can't separate guitar from synth outputs. It all goes to one amp, preferably Roland's JC 120. If you're okay with that. I'm not. I like my Mesa Boogie for guitar and a Roland KC500 for the synth. I prefer the 33 for overall synth sounds because it has a built in volume/function pedal. The 30 however, has an acoustic sitar; a real sitar sound that is to die for! I'm not talking the Danoelectro/Coral electric sitar, though that's there too, and frankly that's best on the 88 or 99. While the GK pickups come with double back tape, you're better off having it installed by a pro. Yes it involves having it drilled and screwed in, but I tried it the other way with my GR09, and because I sweat, the tape became loose. Something to think about if you plan on playing live. Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm very soon going to be the proud owner of a Moog guitar! If I get the midi option, what's the best guitar synth out there? No rack units please...I prefer floor stomp boxes....and preferably under $1k. I don't want one for guitar sounds....I want synth, strings, creaky old piano, woodwinds, spacey things, etc.

What should I look into?

Hello huxtable,

With MIDI coming out of your new axe, any MIDI compatible synth is available for you to use. I know you said No rack units please, but you will miss out on some of the best synth engines around if you restrict yourself to only stomp boxes. I suggest you look at 2nd hand synth modules, especially Yamaha's FM synths. I say that for several reasons

1. Synth modules like a TX-802 are not triggering samples, but are producing the waveforms while you play. Although this makes it harder to mimic an existing instrument, it does make the sound feeeeel better as you play up and down the neck, and with varying dynamics.
  2. FM synthesis responds so well to dynamics. You don't just get a louder brighter sound with heavier playing, but all sorts of subtle effects that make it seem like you are playing some bizarre acoustic instrument from another planet. While not all of the supplied presets are that good, but the ones that are good are very good.
  3. Hardware synths (as opposed to soft-synths) won't worsen the delay that you can sense while playing a MIDI guitar.

I cannot praise the Korg Z1 synth enough, but there is no keyboard-less version of it available. But if you can put up with its size, you will appreciate the smoothness of feel from lowest to highest notes, and the natural acoustic-ness from gentle to hardest playing.

Have fun

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Yeah, that's something that they've never managed to get right in terms of the marketing. It's not a MIDI output. It's a 13-pin Roland GK Compatible output jack. When you connect that to a compatible unit, you can get MIDI in/out/thru via the unit that is connected but the guitar doesn't generate MIDI by itself. An important distinction. If you go to a music store and ask for a "MIDI Cable" to connect from your Moog Guitar to a Roland VG-99, GR-55, etcetera you will find it doesn't fit since it's the wrong type of cable. You need a GK cable for that.

Archived