No announcement yet.

Critique self taught guitarist, 10 years, voodoo chile

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critique self taught guitarist, 10 years, voodoo chile

Hi Ive played guitar in my bedroom taught via internet and books for 10 or so years on and off.

‚ÄčThe other day having not played guitar much last few years blasted out a one take live improvised solo over Voodoo chile backing, not trying to copy Hendrix to much doing my own thing.

‚ÄčInterested to hear others thoughts on my playing...Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRN4kym4HG8

Interesting interpretation.
    http://thebasement.createaforum.com/

Comment

sounds like me around 1974...right on schedule...except I was in working bands before that ...but I sang...even fronted my own power trio. 'Do, or do not...there is no try.'
      Last edited by daddymack; 04-29-2017, 10:19 PM.
      "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
      "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

so it sounds decent but not professional? You can tell ive not been taught etc? bit raw?

Comment

• daddymack
          daddymack commented
          Editing a comment
          yes, by today's standards, raw, and a bit stiff. Work on getting out of the box patterns, playing outside the pentatonics.
          You have a great advantage in that the internet has tutorials on practically every song you can imagine...I would strongly suggest you look at some.
          I am also a 'self-taught' guitarist [I don't want to blame anyone else], but I realized I needed knowledge very early on, and so I studied music and piano [not guitar] in college...I had already been gigging, primarily as a rhythm guitarist/vocalist, for a couple of years and was looking to do more.

Originally posted by electrotar View Post
        so it sounds decent but not professional? You can tell ive not been taught etc? bit raw?
        To be blunt (you asked for a critique) it lacks intensity and passion.

It's not so much what you play but how you play it - what makes SRV's version different than Jimi's?

Look at Stevie' face as he grabs and digs into every note and, if you are like me, it sends shivers up your back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PIKwv1_4e8

A teacher once told me to "play it like you are in pain.

As great as this piece is by Eric Johnson I don't get the "feeling" from it like I do from SRV's playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15eu7ar5EKM

Last edited by onelife; 04-30-2017, 02:06 PM.
        As a human being, you come with the whole range of inner possibilities
        from the deepest hell to the highest states.

It is up to you which one you choose to explore

Comment

I see your points, when I put the delay pedal on I thought I went a bit off the beaten track there maybe not....Guess I'm playing stereotypical licks, wasn't overly passionate when playing it more like a lead guitar demo haha

Comment

rather tha nplaying riffs/licks, play notes that express how you feel. You can say more with two well played notes in a bar than 64 rapid fire notes.
            "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
            "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

i guess I think that was just me trying to showcase some cool fast playing to some people though, it seems decent though or just messy?

Comment

decent but uninspired riffage. As to 'fast'? Not especially...
                Last edited by daddymack; 05-05-2017, 08:50 PM.

Comment

cool so it was decent playing but nothing to imaginative about it

Comment

Originally posted by electrotar View Post
                    cool so it was decent playing but nothing to imaginative about it
                    It depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Do you want to provide your listeners with an emotional connection to the music or do you want to impress your friends by being cool and playing fast?
                    As a human being, you come with the whole range of inner possibilities
                    from the deepest hell to the highest states.

It is up to you which one you choose to explore

Comment

that specific video I would say was about showing off to my non guitar playing friends, not about emotional content etc..just abuse of guitar skills to impress them lol...so in that respect it kinda done the job? It was definitely not emotional piece unless u talking about just having an intense fast emotional shot kinda thing...nothing deep
                      Last edited by electrotar; 05-06-2017, 06:34 AM.

Comment

• daddymack
                        daddymack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm afraid you are taking the wrong approach then. Speed, in and of itself is nothing but a sign of practice. Conveying emotion is a sign of competency, confidence and creativity.
                        Listen to BB King...he could say more with 4 notes in a bar than most players can with 32.
                        Last edited by daddymack; 05-08-2017, 09:10 AM.

Originally posted by onelife View Post

As great as this piece is by Eric Johnson I don't get the "feeling" from it like I do from SRV's playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15eu7ar5EKM
                      As they say, music is in the ear of the beholder. I definitely get the vibe from EJ. I do feel the emotion coming through. I think people relate to different forms of music, well, differently. SRV did his thing very well, but for me it's very repetitious music, and much of his material sounds all the same. I'm sure the same might be said of EJ or many others for that matter, but, as I said, it's a matter of perspective.

Originally posted by MrKnobs
                      God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

My first impression when you posted this was wrong notes - so I stopped right there. Then it occurs to me you're jamming with the tune and are harmonizing to a degree; maybe some (or a lot) of natural counterpoint. So I listened again for a bit and my advice to you is learn something easier. Learn the actual notes and develop your ears.

or troll.
                        Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Working...
                        X